• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

First Hall of Fame Team?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. They/Them
Like the title says, what was the first team you took with you to face the Elite Four? Mine was Charizard (Flame), Blastoise (Snapper), Venusaur (Sprout), Pidgeot (Flappy), Venomoth (Buggy), and Snorlax (Sleepy) in Pokémon Red.

A few trivia bits about my first team:
  • Flame had maybe the worst move set of all time: Fire Spin, Flamethrower, Cut, and Fissure. Luckily, because of how Red worked, Fire Spin was all I ever needed.
  • Flame was my starter. My first ever partner Pokémon.
  • I played through the opening of Red 6 times so my brother and I could both have all three starters.
  • Flappy was the first Pokémon I ever caught.
  • Because of Flappy, I have named the regional bird Flappy in every single Pokémon game I've ever played.
  • Buggy was my favorite, and Venomoth is one of my favorite species to this day.
  • Sleepy was the Snorlax above the Cycling Road.

my first hall of fame team was silly the swampert, jazmin the gardevoir, audrey 2 the breloom, nimbus the altaria, zipzapzop the manectric, and goggles the flygon in pokemon emerald. facts about my team:

• audrey 2 was named after the plant from little shop of hororrs.
  • altaria, manectric and flygon were all renamed. their original names were zephyr the altaria, kiki the manectric and buzz the flygon.
  • for a majority of the game, i had a sableye named crime on my team that got replaced by zipzapzop.
  • i had a spheal on my team for a while. i later took it off, but i still use it for contests. it won a normal and super contest in beauty.
  • silly ended up becoming a hm user which i kinda regret now.
  • audrey 2 one shot all of sidney's pokemon.

my first hall of fame team was silly the swampert, jazmin the gardevoir, audrey 2 the breloom, nimbus the altaria, zipzapzop the manectric, and goggles the flygon in pokemon emerald. facts about my team:

• audrey 2 was named after the plant from little shop of hororrs.
  • altaria, manectric and flygon were all renamed. their original names were zephyr the altaria, kiki the manectric and buzz the flygon.
  • for a majority of the game, i had a sableye named crime on my team that got replaced by zipzapzop.
  • i had a spheal on my team for a while. i later took it off, but i still use it for contests. it won a normal and super contest in beauty.
  • silly ended up becoming a hm user which i kinda regret now.
  • audrey 2 one shot all of sidney's pokemon.
Those names are so great! I love Little Shop of Horrors! Any reason for the renamings?

Sapphire - Blaziken Kyogre Aggron Exploud Hariyana Golbat

I was pretty much only solo running with Blaziken most of the game, the rest were Kyogre and the late 40s you could evolve soon after getting them in Victory Road.

In Alpha Sapphire (the first Pokémon game I had ever got which was also a used game), my team (from over 6 years ago) was this:
  • Blaziken (nicknamed Baby Torchy due to it being Torchic; bad idea to name it that)
  • Lombre (level 100 since I had no clue how it could evolve, 5-6 years later and I learnt it could evolve with a Water Stone- oops)
  • Beautifly
  • Skitty
  • Hariyama
  • Kyogre
Idk if Beautifly and Skitty were on the team tho, but I’m sure they were as like my current data, I wanted to make May’s team but then I wound up having half the team not be similar to hers
I never defeated the Elite Four. Draco’s last Pokémon was almost defeated but destroyed both my last Pokémon and my hope of finishing the game. Then I deleted the data, the end.
I also had a Zigzagoon/Linoone family in it (male named Tycoon, female named Maym) which is also in my current save
zipzapzop the manectric
I smell a JaidenAnimations fan

Last edited:
Sapphire was my first Pokemon game. All I remember is that I won with a Level 86 Sceptile after many many many attempts. I remember training my Sceptile up against trainers on Routes 117-118 every day, training bits at a time in Victory Road, and getting 500,000 PokeDollars continuously taken away from my Trainer Card by Glacia and Steven, because back in Gen 3, if you lost a battle, you lost half your total ingame money, and I somehow had it maxed. :LOL: Most of the time, I would turn the game off without saving to not lose the 500,000 PokeDollars. This Sceptile was the only Pokemon I actually used to battle the Elite Four, but I had some fillers in my party. They were probably some Zigzagoon, Tropius, and Hariyama. I remember at least Tropius and Hariyama being in my party at the time. Tropius was my flier, Hariyama was slapped on because it was relatively high level and fully evolved. I thought maybe it could help?? Zigzagoon were uh... lol. Probably good HM slaves.

The Sceptile was Female, Timid Nature, had Leaf Blade, Dragon Claw, Return, and Strength.

No I did not have Kyogre. I had like 7 Poke Balls during the fight and when I tried to go up to it to save, the battle automatically triggered. My previous save was about two and a half hours before this and I felt my Level 53 Sceptile at the time was stronger than a Level 45 Kyogre anyway, so I felt it was not worth going all the way back to battle Kyogre again. In addition, Hoenn games are the only ones where you aren't straight up given a Master Ball. You have to take a unique route outside the path you need to continue the story, then solve a puzzle to enter into Archie and Maxie's room. Guess what? In Gen 3, if you take the normal path instead and beat Courtney/Matt before even going through that puzzle for the Master Ball, the Master Ball is gone for good.

Gen 3 is not new player friendly at all. I was 10 when I did this.

I managed to get a more full-fledged team after beating the Elite Four. Rayquaza was my first legendary, and the main Pokemon I was able to recognize before ever playing a Pokemon game, as it was a boss in the Super Smash Bros Brawl Subspace Emissary. I remember begging my classmates to tell me where it was when I heard that the boss character from Smash Bros was in the very Pokemon game I had!! Sceptile was my first Level 100, Rayquaza was my second. I also caught some Pokemon I found interest in at various points. Idk if this was before or after the Elite Four. One of them was a Numel that evolved into a Camerupt that turned out to be Level 56, one of them was a Clamperl I rose all the way up to Level 72 because I thought it evolved through leveling-up... I even thought it evolved at Level 100 by the time I lost that save file, and then I managed to get Steven's Beldum and train that up to a Metagross as well, reaching ~Level 50 at most. I remember using Metagross and Sceptile in the Battle Tower and soloing a Level 100 Muk with that Level 50 Metagross. It was epic. I'm not really sure what my last Pokemon was. I am 100% sure I caught a Tropius because when I first saw it in the wild I knew it was fully evolved and it felt cool to suddenly find a big dinosaur at max evolution in the wild. I don't think I trained the Tropius very far, but it was certainly my main flyer before I caught Rayquaza. I could've also had a Bagon evolve into a Salamence in the postgame but that might have been a very early Emerald run instead. Emerald was my second Pokemon game so I could be mixing it up the Salamence. I am certain the rest were in Sapphire however.

Last edited:
Wow, quite a story. Do you still have the save for it?
I’m about to take on the Elite Four in SP, and my team is this:
  • Piplup (I’ll explain with the rest of my team)
  • Pachirisu
  • Lopunny
  • Ambipom
  • Palkia (replaced Mamoswine)
  • Manaphy
I don’t know when I’ll challenge them though. If you want to know what levels and movesets all of them have, feel free to quote and ask.

alright everyone. please laugh.
  • Box Legendary (tm)
  • charizard (wow so original guys this person is so unique no way)
  • onix (YEAH I KNOW)
  • raichu (Y E A H I K N O W)
  • lucario (BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)
  • gyarados (this is the funniest... no, now that i'm typing it out, this is the funniest shit ive ever read, i thought i was SO badass for this team composition. man to be ten again)

oh man...i wish i could remember my first hall of famers. i only remember one, my first pokemon ever, shelly the blastoise, named after my then-current turtle....shelly xD also only a blastoise bc blue had squirtle on the titlecard and i thought that was the one u were SUPPOSED to choose. 8yo logic xD a raichu was probably in there....and i wanna say an exeggutor too. this thread is making me feel old xD

Last edited:
Really making me think back far on this one. Going all the way back to 2000 here for this one way back in Yellow. Let's see, that team was

Nidoking (which as a side note would also go on to become my first level 100 Pokemon as well before I'd stopped playing Yellow in favor of going through other games)

Nidoqueen (didn't feel right using Nidoking without also using Nidoqueen on my team too. I dunno, you ask the 8 year old me for their logic)

Charizard
Blastoise
Venusaur (I was the only one out of the group of my friends to have Yellow, all my friends got into Pokemon before me so they all had Red/Blue, so I felt that since Yellow offered all the starters I had to run them all as that was the point of what made this game special. Again, logic)

Articuno (No idea what made me decide to use this after I caught it. I guess I just thought it looked cool)

That team holds a special place in my mind, and heart. and then i'd promptly just go on to eventually solo the elite 4 everytime with Nidoking until it hit level 100. whoops

This was on Pokémon Blue. I think I had Venusaur as the starter. I believe I also used Zapdos ? I don't remember much, it's been so long. But I know I used the Cinnabar Island glitch to grab myself a Tauros that I didn't train as well as a level 131 Golduck from that same place. Everything else, I draw a blank.

Mine was in Moon. I don't remember if I nicknamed them or not, but I had an Incineroar, Espeon (from the Egg you get at the daycare), Lunala, Lurantis, Comfey, and Alolan Raichu. My Pokemon pickings were so weird back then but at the same time it feels so right, and I miss that.

Really making me think back far on this one. Going all the way back to 2000 here for this one way back in Yellow. Let's see, that team was

Nidoking (which as a side note would also go on to become my first level 100 Pokemon as well before I'd stopped playing Yellow in favor of going through other games)

Nidoqueen (didn't feel right using Nidoking without also using Nidoqueen on my team too. I dunno, you ask the 8 year old me for their logic)

Charizard
Blastoise
Venusaur (I was the only one out of the group of my friends to have Yellow, all my friends got into Pokemon before me so they all had Red/Blue, so I felt that since Yellow offered all the starters I had to run them all as that was the point of what made this game special. Again, logic)

Articuno (No idea what made me decide to use this after I caught it. I guess I just thought it looked cool)

That team holds a special place in my mind, and heart. and then i'd promptly just go on to eventually solo the elite 4 everytime with Nidoking until it hit level 100. whoops
I also leveled up my Incineroar until lvl 100, and all the other Pokemon (besides Lurantis, that slot kept getting switched around so much that I'm only 50% sure I used it for the Elite Four) were close to that by the time I deleted the save data

I'm fairly confident my first Hall of Fame team was in SoulSilver, which wasn't the first Pokémon game I played - but I do not remember ever beating the game in my totally legitimate and not at all downloaded and played on an emulator because I never got a GBA as a kid copy of one of either Ruby or Sapphire nor did I ever beat the game in Pokémon Diamond before my copy got stolen (a special 'screw you' to the kid who stole it AND my DS AND my copy of Kirby Super Star Ultra out of my backpack in 7th grade, btw).

Anyways my team was (and get ready to laugh at this, and I am literally checking this on my actual game right now so I will tell you their levels too):
  • Typhlosion (Lvl 57)
  • Onix (Lvl 44)
  • Espeon (Lvl 45)
  • Lugia (Lvl 47)
  • Gyarados (Lvl 31)
  • Skitty (Lvl 48)

I still have that Skitty on my team on my save file btw. She's level 64 now. No I refuse to evolve her, it's been so long. She is staying a Skitty forever.

My Sword and Shield team, oh boy the memories. I remember how frustrated I was because i could never beat Leon's Charizard, so I kept swithcing team members so much I forgot my actual original team lmao (gonna have to check that later.

but one stuck through it all, my good partner Leafblade the Rillaboom. (Who ironically got the victory despite it's huge disadvantage)

Back
Top Bottom