• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

First Impressions

Nolder

Reaction score
for those of us who picked up the game yesterday and have had about a day and a half to play it
what are your initial thoughts on the game?

personally I am not liking the music at all
it's really....warped

also the new grass is sort of weird
haven't made up my mind whether I like it yet or not

other than that the game has been pretty awesome so far

i'ved played the japanese version on my friend's R4 its cool but too japanese...
going to get around summer time, stile in love with platinum

I can't help but feel like there is more to the game than I've seen so far. Since I've never played gold/silver, the game is a new experience for me, which is a good thing.

I've been around since Pokemon began, but this is my first run through a gen. II game and all...

Let me think. Menu system and Box system kill me. I'm used to Platinum's easy and quick PC and menu systems, and I rather dislike these new [old, so I'm told] ones.

Graphics are even better than PLatinum in some cases, I love it.

1st party pokemon walking with you = genious. Definately my favorite feature. Untill you take you bike out. Slow animation D:

Most new sprites I've seen are great. But Alakazam got the short end of the stick here :-(

Pokegear is great aside from a bit slow while operating. While I want things like daycare info faster than this usually, this little peice of tech is just too cool :B

And even without tranferrring a team I was building especially for SS I'll bet, so far, it is way to easy. I'd be almost done with the gyms if I wasn't keeping everyone equally trained.

I like the way everything looks and sounds. The little things like running water and footsteaps are great features. Watching my Pokemon walk along behind me is great too.

I also really like the new touch screen elements. They all take advantage of the DS's abilities, and make things like box managment so much easier. As of now, there isn't anything that I don't like about this game, other than the fact that I have to stop playing to go to class.

The game is pretty awesome so far, but I'm not really liking the music. To me, the original G/S had the best music of any Pokemon game, but the HGSS remixes just aren't doing anything for me.

I really enjoy the music, with the exception of the Kanto Gym Battle music--I can't recall what it was like on GSC, but it's awful. Just... ugh.

In general, this is by far my favorite game of the series since Red (although I would never play Red again, since the engine is way too aged). I do wish the GB Player was available at the beginning though, so it would be possible to switch between the original music and the updated versions.

I love the ability to have Pokemon walking around with me, though I wish it were possible to set the walking pokemon independently of the one that battles first. I level my team evenly, so I switch pretty often, but the only one that deserves to walk by my side is my Dratini/Dragonair/soon-to-be-Dragonite.

I haven't listened to the music much (I never do).

Now, graphically, this is a very beautiful game. Yeah, the 2D sprites still annoy me, but the overall aesthetics are stunning. I'm in Goldenrod/National Park. Wow. This... might be my new favorite city. Beautiful.

The new menues and stuff are awesome, especially the item bag. I really think this system is better than the DPPt system.

Pokemon following you is fun. It's not as gimicky as I thought. I really enjoy it.

Pokewalker is god. I've been using it all day for my Nidorino. I'm closing in on the 500 watt mark.

Overall, a great game from what I've seen. Highly nostalgic. You should have seen me in Sprout Tower.

(Reenactment of last night)

"Ah ah ah ah! I remember that line. I remember that line! Whoo! Aaaaaaahh."

Now, I still am not a fan of proton's name, but it's growing on me. This game really puts FRLG to shame. That was the originals with a new color palate. These games are the originals with a new sprig of creativity and originality that make the game practically new.

I'm just up to Azalea. I'm not impressed one bit with all the fluff. The new controls are OK, but are very tacked on and slow for my tastes. It takes one second to load a screen where you pick "Yes/No" decisions. I wonder why didn't they think about loading that screen whenever dialogue comes along and put the "talk" button alongside it so it wouldn't feel so damn slow. Instead, they keep the Menu until the decision time comes along. One thing is to take advantage of the Touch Screen, and another one is to make an unnecessary implementation of everything in it.

The game is still the same old it was 10 years ago. So far at least. The only worthwhile change I can notice so far was Falkner's Gym, which was pretty cool. Looks like the other Gyms changed as well, which is cool. I don't care for the enhanced graphics and the "realistic" atmosphere. At least they don't get in the way... but I prefer it old school. Only music, and a few sound effects if they must.

Following Pokémon isn't as annoying as I thought. Nowhere near as annoying as Pikachu in Yellow, that's for sure. Too bad it's still forced...

The only part I can say I've liked besides the Gyms was the Sinjoh Ruins event. Now that was cool, new and rewarding. I'll check the Spiky Eared Pichu soon, but I doubt it'll be anywhere near as good. All else that's worth any time in this game comes way after. Oh well, I'll get to Whitney soon. That's all I care for at this point. But yeah. I'm not impressed one bit lolol.

Okay, just did Pokeathlon.

Better than contests in every way. I got involved. I struggled. I had fun. Oh, and I won.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. Kinda reminds me of Mario and Sonic at the Olympics.

Not getting the Running Shoes and having to slog through the first route...didn't Platinum give it to you right at the get go? Running should be a mandatory skill, not an item given boost!

Besides that, I'm liking the graphics so far and the layout is pretty cool. I don't like having to select the touchscreen first to access the bag though, but oh well.

Also, I don't have super fond memories of the music, but I do feel the music is a bit odd in some aspects...not bad, but some interesting instrument choices.

I"Ah ah ah ah! I remember that line. I remember that line! Whoo! Aaaaaaahh."
I had the same feeling this very night. Happened as I spoke with one of the female Swimmers enroute to Cianwood. The line said something about a popular song about a Lapras. Totally remember raising an eyebrow to that comment 10 years ago.

*Orion* said:
I'm just up to Azalea. I'm not impressed one bit with all the fluff. The new controls are OK, but are very tacked on and slow for my tastes. It takes one second to load a screen where you pick "Yes/No" decisions. I wonder why didn't they think about loading that screen whenever dialogue comes along and put the "talk" button alongside it so it wouldn't feel so damn slow. Instead, they keep the Menu until the decision time comes along. One thing is to take advantage of the Touch Screen, and another one is to make an unnecessary implementation of everything in it.

The game is still the same old it was 10 years ago. So far at least. The only worthwhile change I can notice so far was Falkner's Gym, which was pretty cool. Looks like the other Gyms changed as well, which is cool. I don't care for the enhanced graphics and the "realistic" atmosphere. At least they don't get in the way... but I prefer it old school. Only music, and a few sound effects if they must.

Following Pokémon isn't as annoying as I thought. Nowhere near as annoying as Pikachu in Yellow, that's for sure. Too bad it's still forced...
Wow. You sound grumpy almost. The blending of old and new is totally worth it in my opinion, especially the graphics you seem to dislike. I recall playing Fire Red and thinking the graphics were so-so, nothing terribly exciting. With Soul Silver, it feels like they went out of their way to make this old world seem brand new (and still familiar).

Rusty Shackford said:
Not getting the Running Shoes and having to slog through the first route...didn't Platinum give it to you right at the get go? Running should be a mandatory skill, not an item given boost!
I was thinking about this too. I'll chalk it up as a minor inconvenience to deal with (it's a reflection of most Pokemon traditions. They start you off small and gradually give you the bigger toys). All is forgiven when they enable you to toggle your running!

I also really like the new touch screen elements. They all take advantage of the DS's abilities, and make things like box managment so much easier.

Some of the touchscreen elements are very well-designed, while others annoy the heck out of me. I don't understand how you could think they make the PC box management easier... the new system seems to entirely lack a way of selecting multiple Pokemon and moving them en masse between boxes. Ever since FireRed/LeafGree introduced the feature, you've been able to hit "Select" (for GBA) or "Y" (on the DS), and highlight as many as 30 Pokemon at the same time, dragging them to other boxes. Now it seems you have to drag Pokemon one at a time, and that's a huge pain.

Similarly, the way you're now expected to move items around your bag is very poorly designed. It involves way too much tapping... tap to select the item, then tap "move", then keep tapping as you scroll through the list until you find where you want it to go, and then the final tap to place it. I think I preferred just hitting select, and holding "down" or "up" on the D-Pad, and then placing the item.

For people who like their bag items in a particular order, this new system is a nightmare. Would've been fine if the games kept the old way of doing it in addition to the new touch features, but I've been pressing everything I can think of and I can only assume they were taken out. I'll now probably be going through the annoying process of trading over 1 of each item from another of my games, in order, so that the list is already established as I play through Silver collecting more of each item.

I actually don't like toggle running. I like holding "B" to do it.

Also, one trainer mentioned the Running Shoes attracted trainers and wild Pokemon. Huh.

One other thing. For some reason, my Rhyhorn's overworld sprite flashes. :/
It's kind of odd and bothering, but I think it has something do with the coloring of it. Anyway, the Pokemon following me are so cute (Dunsparce!), but some of the over world sprites are a bit meh.

-The "wind" in New Bark Town is a fucking stupid addition.
-Music is plain horrible.
-Everything is still slow as hell like all 4th gen games, except the text which can be configured to go faster(thank god). If this doesn't get fixed in 5th gen, there is a even smaller chance I would get those games but that's for another thread.
-Battles are MUCH nicer than D/P/Pt. I think it's the new animations tbh.
-I like the running shoes thing always being on :3
-I like that they used a lot of their 3-D engine...but they could have done better.

That's all I got to say for now, I only got to Violet City.

-graphics are beautiful, though I'm still dreading a move to full 3d.
-I ADORE having a pokémon follow you about, although I wish you could pick from your team, instead of whoever you've got leading. Ah well, it gives me a reason to get to know my hole team.
-Love love love the little responses your pokémon gives when you talk to them.
-The gym redesigns are cool, although I miss the days when gym leaders didn't all have to have a puzzle before them.
-I like the new Team Rocket leaders!
-I think the music is nice. :)

This game has some vast improvements. Namely the saving. THANK GOD. It's about 10 seconds again, even after changing pokemon in the boxes and what not. I'm so happy about that. I'm enjoying the music for some reason. I think it's because it's more orchestrated rather than electronic. The biggest thing i don't like is the trainers in gym to gym leader level jump. First gym was... startling. It was like lvl 6 to then 12 and 14. Same with the second and third. I didn't like that at all. Pokewalker I am liking, namely because I needed a pedometer. I'm hopefully taking the easier route of leveling up to 100.

I don't remember this in the original, but I noticed one of the Slowpoke in Slowpoke's Well has a letter from Kurt's son attached to it...

So, uh, is this ever explained?

I'm loving it so far. I just got to the Elite Four, but I haven't beaten them yet.

I don't really have any problems with the music like most people.

My favorite thing, the pokemon walking behind you. I love it, and it will never get old.
The pokeathlon is AMAZING by the way, I think I'm addicted. 1000% better than pokemon contests, which I hated.
I like the new role the Kimono girls play.

There are about a million other things I like. In short, this is my favorite pokemon game of all of them.

Eh I have mixed feelings about this game in all honesty.

The graphics are perfect, almost too perfect which is why it makes me uncomfortable.

The remixes of the musics I do not like, except the gym leader music which I enjoy a lot.

I do like the fact you DO get running shoes in this one, because for awhile I was scared.

I also like how although you couldn't do it on the original S/G/C you can send out two pokemon while battling twins, etc.

Right now I'm in the Azalea gym about to battle the gym leader. I don't like the gym. It's too complex. I miss the old days when you can just walk in and maybe have like one or two gyms per region all crazy.

I also like the fact you can have pokemon following you. A lot of times I'll turn around to talk to them, and it makes me go "awww" because they're so cute trotting behind you like that :3

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom