• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

First look at Pokémon GO: Niantic Labs release details on upcoming game

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
First look at Pokémon GO: Niantic Labs release details on upcoming game

Niantic Labs released today a first look at the features of their upcoming augmented reality game, Pokémon GO. Features discussed includes Pokémon catching, PokéStops, eggs and gyms.

Continue reading...

Read this on Nintendo Everything first. I feel like this kills a lot of hopeful speculations that the fandom had over this. Pokemon battles especially.

Well, what do you expect. This should in no way be compared to the main series games.

They haven't actually said, anywhere, that you can't have friendly battles.

Wild battles...meh. Considering that (in Gen I because that's what I played most recently), I run from pretty much every battle after Cerulean because they give almost no XP compared to trainer battles and they're just a waste of time, I'm not sad to see them go.

The safari zone approach also avoid the pretty idiotic system of "beat up Pokémon to make them join you!" Because of course beating someone up makes them more likely to be your partner and friends.

Seems more like clearing dead wood from a dated system than making this a useless game to me.

Last edited:
Agreed, as long as we can capture Pokemon, its prett much good enough for me[emoji14]

When you get right down to it, wild battles are a relic of old JRPGs that Pokémon mindlessly copied years ago and that really doesn't work that well with the theme. In a lot of ways, catching the Pokémon without battle is more faithful to the bug-catching that inspired Satoshi Tajiri to create Pokémon.

You don't have your caught butterfly attack the bee you want to catch before swinging your net at it, in bug-catching.

So the teams fight for control over the gyms, and each gym is run by Pokemon belonging to different team members. There don't seem to be gym leaders, which makes sense as that would be a logistical mess. Hopefully players can influence the AI play style of their Pokemon beyond movesets.

The only thing that seems questionable is evolution requiring catching multiple Pokemon of the same species.

The only thing that seems questionable is evolution requiring catching multiple Pokemon of the same species.

Mhmm, I thought exactly the same thing, I thought Pokemon had levels in this? But eh, I can't complain much, o didnt expect a game like this to come, ever really.

I'm just excited about the Gym system too.. But not really sure when Go will be available in my country XC.

By the time it come to my country I will already have so many info to dig up XD.

I am really excited over finding specific pokemon in certain instances of habitats. From a mapping perspective, that's quite a feat, though with how google defines much of their maps this was a natural progression of extrapolating and using info (I'm assuming they use an algorithm that won't randomly define every area, wouldn't want a desert in the middle of New York :p). You could classify boundaries and areas, but with the type of data analysis software available, churning through the data would create strains on the server or even a local processor, so good on Niantic for figuring that out. It figures the devs behind Google Earth would know.

On random battles, it's a question of how many pokemon do I beat down into mediocrity until it becomes stale? We all appreciate the mechanic, but it definitely wears down late in the gameplay. I think the outcry is the loss of a feature that's always been there even if most people don't realize it's more of a nuisance the later into the game they play. With how Niantec introduces it, it plays how I typically play mid to late game. If I see a new pokemon, I just toss a ball right away until I capture it. I see the move of excluding random battles good foresight.

Team building is probably the one legitimate gripe I see. Part of the appeal of Pokemon is collecting ones you like and raising them. Raising them is not all gone. Niantec is working within the boundaries of their program structure. They're also looking at a way to make Pokemon a faster game than what we play on the road or in a waiting lobby or at home. Raising, battling pokemon and manipulating inventory takes tremendous time, more time than we think. Right now we only know about battling through the 'gyms', which is a passive means of battling. However, a passive system is better as it allows a person to interact with it at any point in time. Battling in real time over a vast world landscape is super tough to program because it depends on people wanting to interact and it'd be tough to create a tool that knew where you were at all times so that others can find you. It'd be a logicstical nightmare and it probably won't take too long for people to cry foul of privacy concerns which would be legitimate (probably more from parents than players). But in raising pokemon, I see the gym as a way that combines the raising aspect with the social medium Niantic and Nintendo are promoting. To have an effective gym, you need good pokemon and good collaborative effort with other players using that gym.

How we see the world of pokemon as a travel adventure is different than how we actually live life, combining the two to be compatible is a tough task that requires give in some aspects. The game is different and we were told it'd be a different way of playing pokemon. I'm glad that people here are more accepting of that than other places I've seen discussion today.

Wild battles...meh. Considering that (in Gen I because that's what I played most recently), I run from pretty much every battle after Cerulean because they give almost no XP compared to trainer battles and they're just a waste of time, I'm not sad to see them go.

I find them to be quite the opposite, actually. If I don't actively grind in Generation 1, then by the time I reach the Elite Four, I would be at around level 35 and would be underleveled by 20. Even in generations that offer plenty of trainer battles, I still have to grind on wild Pokemon.

There were definitely some people disappointed over the lack of wild battles in this. But on my end, it isn't all too surprising. This isn't supposed to play like one of the main series games, so it can't really be treated like one.

If I'm trying to build a full team of high level mons, perhaps. But usually I'll have one-three trained mons, mostly trained by battling trainers, and fill it up with legendaries and other pokémon caught at a naturally high level, mostly to serve as back up for the rest of the team.

I mean, in my current game my Charizard and Dugtrio were level 50+ by the sixth gym. Jolteon was getting along nicely, and while I might have bothered with training up a Lapras, in the end I decided not to.

That's great and all, but there wasn't an article posted on Bulbanews about the GDC presentation being cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom