• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

First Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon trailer released: Japanese release date revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
First Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon trailer released: Japanese release date revealed

In a Japan-exclusive Nintendo Direct, the first footage from Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon debuted. Further details about the game, including its Japanese release date, were revealed.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: First Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon trailer released: Japanese release date revea

YES! MORE STARTERS!

Re: First Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon trailer released: Japanese release date revea

Legendaries...

LEGENDARIES EVERYWHERE! :eek:

Can someone who can read japanese translate what's being said? I know it's probably generic stuff, but I still kinda want to know.

It's kinda funny. It looks as if some of the legends are drawing inspiration from the Pokemon movies. We see Lugia with the Bird Trio circling overhead, and Rayquaza attacking Deoxys... although that could be more homage to the core series, the movies pulled that card first.

More starters (like, all of them), more legendaries, more Pokemon in general (as in all 720, minus Volanion), and I'm praying for more story and god-tier music. Hey, you set the standards for me, Chunsoft. Now go meet them, or better yet smash em into orbit.

Yesssss, all Pokemon revealed at the time. And all of the starters seem to be here! And Pikachu. And Riolu.

By default, this is now better than Gates to Infinity. Please come over here...

At first glance it doesn't appear that the personality test is here, but on the bright side at least we can pick from every single starter plus Riolu and Pikachu. That's WAY better than GTI:)

All I can say is that it's WAY better than Gates To Infinity from what is seen so far, I mean, two of the biggest problems I had with that game were the severe lack of Pokemon (It didn't even have all of Gen 5, and some Pokemon you couldn't even recruit at all) and starter choices (I didn't want to be Pikachu, the Unova Starters or Axew at all). Here it's a vast improvement so far by having all the starters and all current Pokemon available.

The only real nitpick I have is the fact that while it has all the starters, the only starters that aren't Grass/Fire/Water in their typing are Pikachu and Riolu, which only slightly bothers me because the first PMD game had some type diversity with choices like Cubone, Machop and Meowth, and PMD Sky added 5 more starters from what was available. I mean, a bit more diversity in the starter types would be nice than just all the starters from the main games plus Pikachu and Riolu, but that's just me nitpicking. On the upside, it's at least a big improvement over GTI, now I hope that it has a great story because GTI's story was kinda corny in my opinion.

Last edited:

At first glance it doesn't appear that the personality test is here, but on the bright side at least we can pick from every single starter plus Riolu and Pikachu. That's WAY better than GTI:)

I wouldn't be surprised if the personality test has been completely phased out by this point; it wasn't in the WiiWare games or GtI. From a getting-the-Pokemon-you-want-to-be standpoint, it's way easier and less frustrating to pick from a list than get quizzed.

Yeah, I know there'd be people who like the personality quizzes - there's enough of them online - but there's also a portion of the fanbase who just wants to play as a certain Pokemon. It would be like if you tried to make a knight character, but the test you took kept on giving you wizard, or priest, or archer...

...I think I should do a fanmade Personality Quiz.

I wouldn't be surprised if the personality test has been completely phased out by this point; it wasn't in the WiiWare games or GtI. From a getting-the-Pokemon-you-want-to-be standpoint, it's way easier and less frustrating to pick from a list than get quizzed.

Yeah, I know there'd be people who like the personality quizzes - there's enough of them online - but there's also a portion of the fanbase who just wants to play as a certain Pokemon. It would be like if you tried to make a knight character, but the test you took kept on giving you wizard, or priest, or archer...

The personality test doesn't prevent that though. Just answer the questions in the way that gives you what you want. That's pretty much what I did for every game with the quiz.

I'm already hyped for this game, even though I've never played any of the PMD games before. I already know I'll be playing as Snivy.

So are hero/partner selection is indeed all the starters, Pikachu and (rolls eyes) Riolu and then comes the boast that all 720 will be in this. So far so good. Could use a bit more diversity in the hero/partner set-up but beggars can't be choosers.

Here's hoping the legendary involvement isn't just all of them mindlessly wanting to beat the crap outta each other ala the movies and some multi-part anime eps.

The personality test doesn't prevent that though. Just answer the questions in the way that gives you what you want. That's pretty much what I did for every game with the quiz.

In a tedious, have-to-look-at-a-guide way. And the quiz is randomly generated, so you'd have to reset - perhaps multiple times; such is the RNG - if the quiz loadout just made it impossible for you to pick the 'mon you wanted.

The problem with that approach is not knowing which answers correspond to which Pokemon.

I wouldn't mind if they gave you the quiz first, you're given a Pokemon, and if you don't want it then you have the option to select a Pokemon manually.

In a tedious, have-to-look-at-a-guide way. And the quiz is randomly generated, so you'd have to reset - perhaps multiple times; such is the RNG - if the quiz loadout just made it impossible for you to pick the 'mon you wanted.

Okay, I have to admit, you do have a point there. It took several tries for me to RNG my way into getting Chimchar as the PC in Sky.

Re: 1st Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon trailer released

I just saw the video yesterday.
The game looks amazing.
[size=-7]I wonder if will choose to be a Charmander or a Riolu.[/size] [size=-7]My ''partner'' might be a Cyndaquil or a Totodile.[/size]

Last edited:

Here's hoping the legendary involvement isn't just all of them mindlessly wanting to beat the crap outta each other ala the movies and some multi-part anime eps.

Unfortunately, that's about all Gamefreak and Company know do with them... :uhoh:

Unfortunately, that's about all Gamefreak and Company know do with them... :uhoh:

Admittedly I don't know how much this affects the story, but Spike Chunsoft is the developer of the game, as they are for all Mystery Dungeon games, so it should be better than that.

I personally would love some influence from the movies. Those legendary fights are generally amazing. But the PMD games more than make up for the lack of plot in the main series, so I'm good with whatever they go with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom