• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

First Starter?

Mine was Chikorita in Pokémon Gold. I chose it because it looked the best compared to Cyndaquil and Totodile.

Piplup in Pearl. I thought torterra was fat and infernape looked werid. And it was a cute penguin (I liked penguins back then).

Blue - Squirtle
I picked Squirtle because he was on the box cover, most likely. I named him Beachball and I still have him since I traded him over to Crystal, which surprisingly still works. I've always been a fan of Water types despite being afraid of swimming. Strange, I quite like Bug types too despite being afraid of bugs in reality, but there's another tale, haha.

Gold - Cyndaquil
This one appealed the most to me; it's one of my favorite Pokemon. In this era, I followed a pretty strict nicknaming convention where the first letter had to match the first letter of the final evo. So, I needed a boy name starting with T because of Typhlosion. I ended up naming him Thomas, which is also the name of my twin brother. This starter is pretty special to me because he was the first Pokemon I legitimately raised to level 100.

Sapphire - Treecko
I picked this one because a) I haven't kicked off a generation with a Grass type before and b) I bought one booster pack and got a holofoil Sceptile card. :) My starter was also female on my first try, so I made my team mostly all females (or genderless).

Pearl - Chimchar and Black - Oshawott
Nothing quite special happened here, sadly. :( I picked them because I believed they were strong in battle.

My first was a Mudkip in Ruby. To this day, he remains my favorite Hoenn and water starter. Since I was so young when I played, I over leveled him and used him in all my gym battles since he was just that boss.

For other regions though, I've played them all with all 3 starters, but my first picks were;

Kanto - Squirtle
Johto - Totodile
Sinnoh - Chimchar
Unova - Oshawott

I guess you could say I have a thing for water starters, but oddly though I'm not too fond of Oshawott or Totodile's lines.

I started way back in the day. When Blue/Red first came out on the Game Boy, I choose Charmander. I've always preferred fire-types for my started since then, though I think Cyndaquil had more influence on this decision than Charmander did. Cyndaquil was just cuter. :)

My first starter was Charmander.

Then my friend played my game one day, and erased the file with her Squirtle starter file, because she didn't know the game could only have one save file. 8| We played the game together with that Squirtle after that.

Squirtle was my first starter... However using the extra copy me and my friends all used to get the other starters I had Bulbasaur and Charmander early on as well. My play style has always been the same, level up all Pokémon I own, not just on my team, to the next multiple of 5 between each town. So by the time I faced Brock all my Pokémon were at level 15. I also attempt to catch every Pokémon, which has led me to purchase both copies every generation and trade them all over to one version, which was incredibly annoying in Gen 3.

I grew up watching my older cousin play Pokemon before I got started, so even though I grew up with the originals (via the anime and observing my cousin) my first game that I owned was Sapphire. I'm pretty sure I picked Mudkip. I usually pick the water type for my first play through, though that's not a hard and fast rule. I won't be picking the water type for this coming gen, for instance (for what it's worth, I'm picking Fennekin). I'd say that my affinity for water types is more the cause of me picking Mudkip than it is an effect.

pikachuuuuuu i choose you!!!!!! haha yellow

but yeah in red i picked bulbasaur what can i say he's cute this page has him on it so that is cool!!!

My first starter was Treecko in Emerald. Then I picked Cyndaquil in Heartgold.

My first starter was Cyndaquil. Now, at the time I was kind of dumb, so I pretty much trained her exclusively. I think I picked it because it was the best of both worlds; both aesthetically attractive and powerful.

my first game was diamond when i was 4. my first starter was chimchar but when it evolved(i did not know a lot about pokemon back then)my newly evolved monferno scared my life away!:boom:

Last edited:
My first was a Squirtle.
Firered: Squirtle
Emerald: Mudkip
Pearl:piplup
Platinum:piplup
HeartGold: Cyndaquil
White:Oshawott
White 2: Oshawott
I like my water starters.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom