• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

First steps into the future score high: Bulbanews review - Pokémon Black and White Ve

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
First steps into the future score high: Bulbanews review - Pokémon Black and White Versions

Bulbanews columnist YeOldeJacob takes a look at the recently released Pokémon Black and White Versions. Rating them on a five-point scale, he finds it's the smaller details that pull the games above the grade.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: First steps into the future score high: Bulbanews review - Pokémon Black and Whit

THIS WAS AN AWESOME READ!

really, one of the best, BW-Related, articles that i have ever seen, Congratulations, YeOldeJacob!

Re: First steps into the future score high: Bulbanews review - Pokémon Black and Whit

It was too glowing though. It wasn't much of a review if it's all praise, now is it?

You didn't address any of the problems the game did have though, such as the linearity, lack of touch-screen features (even compared to DP and HG/SS), sparse features (no Vs. Seeker, Safari Zone, Gym Rematches, Cycle Road), which I thought should have been rightfully addressed in any decent review of the game. And I LIKE Black and White, but even I thought that should be brought up.

It was too glowing though. It wasn't much of a review if it's all praise, now is it?

You didn't address any of the problems the game did have though, such as the linearity, lack of touch-screen features (even compared to DP and HG/SS), sparse features (no Vs. Seeker, Safari Zone, Gym Rematches, Cycle Road), which I thought should have been rightfully addressed in any decent review of the game. And I LIKE Black and White, but even I thought that should be brought up.

I have to agree with this.

A review of something that's good will naturally be positive.

I really liked this review because it didn't turn into a comparison to the previous games. It is refreshing to see a review that judges the games on their own merits.

I wouldn't count the lack of a Safari Zone or Cycling Road as missing features. Each game has it's own landmarks and attractions. The Safari Zone (excluding RBY) was normally just a place to include past Pokémon in the games anyway, and that is covered by features like the White Forest, Swarms, and Dream World.

It is pretty much the standard for the first games of a generation to missing features like Gym Rematches; this is something that the developers have always saved for the third version.

What may have been problems for you may have not been problems for Jacob. Just because he chose not to mention those issues you had with B/W doesn't mean the review was all praise. Not everyone writes reviews the same way. Besides if he did add those in the whole article would have turned into a comparison between B/W and previous games, something Jacob was not going for in this article.

This was a review? I doesn't feel that way whatsoever. It discusses the plot more than anything, although it says that plot is the least important aspect of the game, and spends the rest talking about sounds and camera angles. Show me some comments on gameplay. Mention some of the new pokemon and whether it was worth making a whole fresh 'dex for the new region.

It doesn't feel as though the author actually played the game, but rather that he just watched someone play it over their shoulder. If you're going to review something like a movie, review a movie instead. If you're going to review a game, review the things that make it a game.

Out of curiosity, is there a way to submit a review of mine?

This was a review? I doesn't feel that way whatsoever. It discusses the plot more than anything, although it says that plot is the least important aspect of the game, and spends the rest talking about sounds and camera angles. Show me some comments on gameplay. Mention some of the new pokemon and whether it was worth making a whole fresh 'dex for the new region.

It doesn't feel as though the author actually played the game, but rather that he just watched someone play it over their shoulder. If you're going to review something like a movie, review a movie instead. If you're going to review a game, review the things that make it a game.

Out of curiosity, is there a way to submit a review of mine?

If anybody can give a more honest review for B/W, it'll be me. I've played the game enough to understand most of the new features and additions to the game. Since I've played nearly every Pokemon game to date now, I can easily understand how to review games like these. If anyone does want to see me make a review, I'll post it in my blog later.

The review keeps talking about the little things that make the game better. Honestly, I thought HG/SS did a lot better with the details. The way they put the menu on the bottom screen at all times was something I really liked, and I had hoped a similar thing would be done for BW. Let's face it: we're not going to always want the C-Gear on, especially if you're like me and still use a retro first-gen-silver-brick DS with no battery life. When C-Gear is off, the whole bottom screen is unused, and that's a shame. Maybe they could have done a menu screen on the bottom screen, and included a button to go directly to the C-Gear.

Don't get me wrong. BW are great. But as a seasoned player, I think the HG/SS interface was better done. I'd give BW about an 85, so far.

All you have to do is hit X and the menu will appear on the touch screen. Yeah HGSS did manage the touch screen better but having to hit an extra button isn't game breaking for me. Though I do miss having the option to have running shoes on without needing to press B. Though the shoes become obsolote when you get the bike in my opinion.

I really liked Jacob's review. He has a different way of approaching things. I'm glad he did not mention things from other games that were missing from BW. He chose a different path by reviewing the games by themselves instead of comparing them to previous entries. Besides GF always holds back a lot of features and saves them for the third version, this is nothing new for BW. Besides perhaps he felt most of those missing items weren't needed. I'd rather GF not include features from past games just for the sake of it if they'll just feel artificially tacked on.

So I know many won't be pleased with this review but I give credit to Jacob for reviewing the games on their own instead of comparing.

I think what was reviewed was reviewed well for the most part.

I did find it a little bit disappointing that the plot wasn't discussed much, but you did acknowledge that it wasn't a factor in your enjoyability of the Pokémon games so you get a plus from me for the explanation.
A different review on Bulbanews that does address the plot might be good though, as it is something that a lot of players think of about the games having a deeper plot (apparantly).

Even though you classed the introduction of seasons as a little thing, it isn't so little that you couldn't go into a bit more. Did you like the different visuals for seasons? The different appearance rates? The effect on events in the game (such as Deerling and challenging Cynthia)? I dunno, it seemed a little dry.

I thought everything about the camera angles and dimensions was well explained, and I found myself agreeing, especially on the Pokémon sprites remaining 2D.

And finally, no mention of the new types of battle? Triple battles were heavily advertised at all, and while the rotational battles aren't as focused on, it would have been interesting to know your opinion on them.

Just for the record, I spent about 17 hours playing the game before I reviewed it. And within the review I spent one paragraph worth 180 words on plot and multiple paragraphs worth about 900 words on stuff that impacted my opinion.

If you are interested in my opinions on the new Pokemon, I covered my favorites and least favorites in my blog, as a precursor to this review for those who follow my blog, as including it in my review would have made it much too long (and conflicted with the style of writing I use when writing opinion pieces for BulbaNews).

And on gameplay, just in case I didn't make it clear enough in the review, there isn't much for me to review in terms of gameplay since I wrote this for a Pokemon fansite. Professional critics may go into the gameplay, but that is only because they reach a wider audience rather than already devout fans. That's why I only spent a short paragraph or two explaining that the core game is the same as it has ever been, and that it's still as addicting as ever. This wasn't a review from a fan of video games, but from a fan of the series, who has a completely different definition of what makes a good Pokemon game from your standard blogger or critic. What matters to me is everything they wrap around that tried-and-true Poke-gameplay to make each installment its own game. I'm trying to tailor my writing on BulbaNews to what I believe the audience is, essentially.

Even though you classed the introduction of seasons as a little thing, it isn't so little that you couldn't go into a bit more. Did you like the different visuals for seasons? The different appearance rates? The effect on events in the game (such as Deerling and challenging Cynthia)? I dunno, it seemed a little dry.

I thought everything about the camera angles and dimensions was well explained, and I found myself agreeing, especially on the Pokémon sprites remaining 2D.

And finally, no mention of the new types of battle? Triple battles were heavily advertised at all, and while the rotational battles aren't as focused on, it would have been interesting to know your opinion on them.

You have to understand that when I reviewed the game it was right after I had defeated the 8th gym and before I challenged the E4. I think I had one triple battle and no rotation battles at that point.

But my reviews are partly written to stir up discussion, both of my own opinions and of what I wrote about. So now that I've had a little more experience with the new battle types, I can say I definitely dig the rotation battles more. A little more strategy, and sometimes a lot of that challenging frustration that makes features like that cool. Triple battles are fun, but if they weren't introduced and only rotation battles were, I wouldn't be clamoring for them.

Last edited:

So, in other words the entire review was pointless.

Great to know. :)

So, in other words the entire review was pointless.

Great to know. :)

How, exactly? Please explain. What is a review but just one man's opinion? I just accept that and don't hold the pretention that I write solely from a standpoint of pure logic and technical merit.

What's the point of putting a piece like that up on the main page when it could easily go into your blog? It was basically preaching to the choir, and there's barely any discussion to be derived from it...unless, I don't know, we wanna talk about whether or not we like Nimbassa's music?

It's just a bad article plain and simple.

What's the point of putting a piece like that up on the main page when it could easily go into your blog? It was basically preaching to the choir, and there's barely any discussion to be derived from it...unless, I don't know, we wanna talk about whether or not we like Nimbassa's music?

It's just a bad article plain and simple.

So since it could go in my blog, that inherently makes it bad article?

Well, then I guess anyone who has ever written an opinion article for any website in the history of the internet hasn't written a good opinion article because they could have simply written it in their personal blog.

No, it's because it's a bad article that it's a bad article.

Seriously, it's completely shallow and barely touches the surface of the game. It's pretty much a completely aesthetic review and even though you played the game, as others mentioned everything you said about it is basically the stuff you could find out through a quick browse-through of Wikipedia. Where's the mention of the game's linearity that exceeds that of even Gen I? What about the absence of anything decent that makes use of the DS' capabilities outside of the bare-bones touch-screen and basic Wi-Fi? The various tweaks to difficulty, both positive and negative, that even casual players will notice such as the increase in healing spots and the revised level up system? Instead, you tell us the sprites move, the music's good (oh, hur, but this one city might be a tad annoying!), and the plot is good but doesn't matter.

This isn't a complaint from someone expecting you to touch upon the EV-System or anything like that, but a complaint from a person who has played these games twice over now and thinks that a review placed on the front-page of one of the most-viewed Pokemon websites shouldn't sound like a PR statement from Nintendo. I know you like to brag about how you don't care about movesets, stats, etc., but when reviewing a game it just seems sloppy to completely disregard gameplay and just say "it ain't broke don't fix it", and completely ignore the stuff that they DID change for better or worse. Sure, you may have "personal taste", but I think that Bulbagarden should be a little more wise when choosing what articles to place on its front-page considering its popularity. As it stands, this is an article anyone could write, and I don't quite get why the first comments praised you for it when it's basically equivalent to my 5th Grade Book Review of Redwall.

BTW, R.I.P Brian Jacques. :(

No, it's because it's a bad article that it's a bad article.

Seriously, it's completely shallow and barely touches the surface of the game. It's pretty much a completely aesthetic review and even though you played the game, as others mentioned everything you said about it is basically the stuff you could find out through a quick browse-through of Wikipedia. Where's the mention of the game's linearity that exceeds that of even Gen I? What about the absence of anything decent that makes use of the DS' capabilities outside of the bare-bones touch-screen and basic Wi-Fi? The various tweaks to difficulty, both positive and negative, that even casual players will notice such as the increase in healing spots and the revised level up system? Instead, you tell us the sprites move, the music's good (oh, hur, but this one city might be a tad annoying!), and the plot is good but doesn't matter.

This isn't a complaint from someone expecting you to touch upon the EV-System or anything like that, but a complaint from a person who has played these games twice over now and thinks that a review placed on the front-page of one of the most-viewed Pokemon websites shouldn't sound like a PR statement from Nintendo. I know you like to brag about how you don't care about movesets, stats, etc., but when reviewing a game it just seems sloppy to completely disregard gameplay and just say "it ain't broke don't fix it", and completely ignore the stuff that they DID change for better or worse. Sure, you may have "personal taste", but I think that Bulbagarden should be a little more wise when choosing what articles to place on its front-page considering its popularity. As it stands, this is an article anyone could write, and I don't quite get why the first comments praised you for it when it's basically equivalent to my 5th Grade Book Review of Redwall.

BTW, R.I.P Brian Jacques. :(

It's not your review. It's YeOldeJacob's. Why should you get to decide what to mention in it and what not? Your opinions might be different but that doesn't make the article bad.

You are essentially asking me to write about what you feel makes a good Pokemon game. I wrote about what I think makes a good Pokemon game.

Publishing this wasn't a spur-of-the-moment decision. BulbaNews wanted more opinion pieces and columns, and I was asked last year to write occasional reviews for the page based on my blog here.

And "it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a perfectly reasonable critique of a game franchise like Pokemon. In fact, it is a sentence that I've read often in many, many professional reviews for game franchises that rely on a core that they've used for years. So what do you then critique? Well, unless they made major gameplay changes (they didn't), you focus on everything built around gameplay. Reviewing Pokemon from a pure technical standpoint is like reviewing an over-the-top B-movie as you would an art-house picture. Different genres and different target audiences demand a different perspective when reviewed.

Glowing reviews don't mean the piece sucks. It means the piece reflects my own opinion. I do hope you'll be sending every casual critic who ever gave a 5-star review a diatribe about how they need to stop writing free advertisement, since, you know, you have the higher knowledge about how opinions should be; the same. It ain't like I'm being paid to do this, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom