• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Flash

PS3D

Reaction score
I was playing Pokémon Yellow for the first time in several years. I had assembled a pretty good team, a Squirtle, Butterfree (with Confusion), Ivysaur, Charmeleon, Pikachu, and Geodude. I had done the first three bosses, er, gym leaders, easily. But then I got to Rock Tunnel, which needs Flash.

But Flash is a sucky move in battle, and I don't want to waste my movesets on Flash, which cannot be removed. So I tried looking for Pokémon in the PC, "junk" Pokémon, I could use Flash on. Nothing except Clefairy, which I didn't even want to put on that.

So I just decided to go without Flash into Rock Tunnel. But I think I'll have to use it another time. What do you do in terms of Flash?

I just did it without Flash. It is an awful move. It could at least confuse a Pokemon or something.

But eventually I just learned how to get through the cave without it. And you only ever need to do it once.

A map may help.

You don't need it in older games because you're still able to see the outline of the entire cave, as well as the stairs, and your character is always in the centre.

That's probably why Gen II opted to make your sprite visible and make the entire screen black.

Needing Flash did lead me to catching a Pikachu in Blue, but I can attest to it not being necessary. My brother (who was about 5 at the time) made it through perfectly fine without it.

You don't need it in older games because you're still able to see the outline of the entire cave, as well as the stairs, and your character is always in the centre.
It's even more useless once you realize the Original Game boy and the GB Pocket/Light have contrast knobs. Jack that up and you can see them without flash.

Yeah putting in amove deleter would have been good for the yellow remake, my Charizard has 'cut'... shudder...

I think I put it on a ratata or something; it was a REALLY bad move.

thank god its a TM now

I absolutely loathed flash in Gen II (my first Gen). It made Dark Cave a terror. I just shunted it onto an HM slave, I think.

In Gen III, Flash is even more worthless because you can see your immediate surroundings. If you no the layout of the cave or have a map, its quite easy.

It's even more useless once you realize the Original Game boy and the GB Pocket/Light have contrast knobs. Jack that up and you can see them without flash.

also that in gen 2 if you do the glitch dimention glitch, the color pallet swaps out and you can see the cave perfectly.

I actually make good use of Flash in Yellow. It's part of how I make money.

What I do is, I find an Onix in Victory Road. I send out Butterfree, put it to sleep with Sleep Powder, then spam Flash until it wakes up. Then I spam Harden until Onix successfully hits with Rage, then I go back to Flash until Rage misses. Due to an odd glitch with Rage, if it misses, its accuracy PLUMMETS. At that point, I switch to Pikachu and spam Pay Day until Onix faints or Pikachu runs out of PP for Pay Day, whichever occurs first.

And people say that Butterfree is useless later in the game.

With a mustache.

Flash was always useless. One of the HM moves, like whirlpool or Dive, that I just taught to a pokemon that could learn it then threw it in my box to never be used again.

also that in gen 2 if you do the glitch dimention glitch, the color pallet swaps out and you can see the cave perfectly.

It doesn't work on Crystal however. On Crystal, it will either fail or Softreset to a "This game for use only on GBC" error. And if you have a Game Boy/Pocket/Light, it just softresets.

Real players have been through the caves without Flash! Although, I do remember my brother getting lost in Dark Cave in Crystal... I mean, he was way deep in there!

I told him to try and Struggle his team to death against the wild pokemon, which honestly isn't a bad idea for a last resort like this. After he had killed off two or three of his team members he randomly found the exit. Lesson learned, right?

I still go into caves without Flash.

Somebody said they just walked around with a poisoned Pokemon so the screen flashed every few steps.

Eh. Grab a junk Pokémon, throw Flash on it and only use it when clearing those caves. After you've gotten everything in the caves that actually need flash, you never need to so much as look at them again (except Mt. Silver in GSC, but there are guides to get you through the black room without it).

Urgh, Flash = WORST MOVE EVER. I always taught it to some HM slave :p

i never actualy played the Gen 1 games.

Gen 2 was my first gen, and there's two caves you needed flash for in gen 2, the remakes had three, but in GSC, there was Dark Cave, witch was pretty much moot after you got fly, and mnt.silver.

so i just huffed it through the mountain on my own. witch made it all the more awsome when i found some epic strong trainer there.

I think I just tossed Flash on some crap pokémon that I later tossed in the box and forgot about.

LOL, everyones saying the same thing. Just toss Flash onto a HM slave then throw it in the box when you're done. The only time where I think Flash was absolutely neccesary was Dark Cave. Even then, after I got through it I never went back, so I probably missed a lot of stuff.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom