• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Flygon vs. Garchomp

Spyspotter

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Flygon: The original Garchomp. It's dragon abilities are very lacking. By level up, its strongest dragon move is dragon tail, with 60 power! Its ground powers, on the other hand, are what makes this guy awesome. Two words: Earth power. Lowering the opponent's special defense is a bonus. Its levitate makes it immune to the annoying move Earthquake, which makes a good counter. Its main weakness? Poor special defense.

Garchomp: This guy is an annoyingly ripped Flygon with bigger stats. But its weakness is its movepool. Its ground powers are awful, so it has to rely on dragon moves. Most aren't that powerful or come with grave effects. But! Dragon Dance can turn crap moves into awesome moves. The catch? It uses a turn, making Garchomp vulnerable to attack. But the speed boost helps, and this ploy has been used a lot.

So, in the end, who reigns the world of ground-dragon types?

Last edited:
Garchomp is better in almost every way and I like its design the most. I would like Flygon more if it was Bug/Dragon instead of Ground/Dragon. Also, how exactly is Garchomp a rip-off? It is completely different from Flygon, besides having the same type. So Roselia is a rip-off of Vileplume? Vileplume is a rip-off of Venusaur? I take that Gallade is a rip-off of Medicham as well?

Garchomp is better in almost every way and I like its design the most. I would like Flygon more if it was Bug/Dragon instead of Ground/Dragon. Also, how exactly is Garchomp a rip-off? It is completely different from Flygon, besides having the same type. So Roselia is a rip-off of Vileplume? Vileplume is a rip-off of Venusaur? I take that Gallade is a rip-off of Medicham as well?

It's a rip off because Nintendo took everything about Flygon and attempted to improve it. And can you explain your point, because you clearly aren't making any.

I like both, but I'll go with Flygon, as it has better movepool, two immunities and looks cooler.

I like both, but I'll go with Garchomp, as it has two more speed stats. It makes a hell of a difference, Showdown taught me.

Garchomp: This guy is an annoyingly ripped Flygon with bigger stats. But its weakness is its movepool. Its ground powers are awful, so it has to rely on dragon moves. Most aren't that powerful or come with grave effects. But! Dragon Dance can turn crap moves into awesome moves. The catch? It uses a turn, making Garchomp vulnerable to attack. But the speed boost helps, and this ploy has been used a lot.

??? This post doesn't make much sense, especially since Garchomp doesn't learn Dragon Dance, while Flygon does. Garchomp best earth moves are the same as Flygon, and both have access to earthquake (or earth power) which is one of the best movies in the game. Otherwise, in terms of the designer, they are quite different. And, competitive gameplay wise, Garchomp is a wallbreaker/tank, while Flygon plays the pivot role in the lower tiers.

Last edited:
Flygon is one of my all-time top favorite Pokemon, so it definitely wins over Garchomp by a longshot as far as my personal preferences go. Garchomp is still pretty cool though, OP-ness during its debut Generation aside.

Also, calling Garchomp a Flygon ripoff seems kinda harsh, since their similarities begin and end at having the same type combo: when it comes to basis, design, coloration, and even battling niches, Flygon and Garchomp are two completely different beasts altogether.

I've always liked Garchomp more in both design and battle wise; I'm currently trying to find and catch a Gible in Shining Pearl so I can use one on my team again. Flygon is cool too, it was one of my main MVP's in original Sapphire and Omega Ruby.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom