• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Flying Over Hoenn?

Contrary to some beliefs that have been thrown around on this thread, I think the new flying mechanic with the mega latios and latias is a big step forward for GF. I would go so far as to say, it's just as groundbreaking as the 3D graphic and trainer customization reveal of X and Y. I also believe that the dynamic of pokemon games is changing. I've seen that alot of people(and not just this forum) had wanted some way to obtain past legendaries but without any convulted serial code distribution nor the simple wifi distribution and this new thing with latios and latias in my opinion fills this requirement. I don't think that this will be a mechanic just limited to ORAS and maybe not quickly but eventually I see GF changing the flying mechanic to become like and hopefully better than the lati flying in ORAS.

I'm amused that people didn't learn anything by now... it is merely a gimmick to obtain the past legends and nothing more... a cool idea, badly executed and forever forgotten in future titles - just like pretty much any other cool idea they had before
(it's still nice I guess but could be so much more, and I can say this about so many other things in pkmn)

By that logic, we should be happy to have no Contests, Secret Bases, overworld flying, post game legendaries, or anything, every game should be like RBY and have absolutely nothing except for the main quest.
The fact of the matter is that XY don't have these features (just a few post-game legendaries), so to enjoy them you need to buy ORAS regardless of any potential patches. They could just make all the new content exclusive to ORAS (how does that fix your problem?), but I don't see why they should when it comes to 31 legendaries.

It'd be an utter waste of money because I'm spending $40 just to get an expansion to the game I already have and what amount to a piece of plastic junk. That's cheap too. By far the most fair way to do this would be to put it on the eShop for $5-10 and not have to bother with ORAS at all if you don't want to.
We've already agreed in the other thread that paid DLC should be used as an alternative, but I still think you're exaggerating. And I say this as someone who doesn't plan to buy ORAS unless the flying feature is a lot more interesting than meets the eye. Random legendary encounters don't interest me.

Last edited:
Giving X/Y a whole load of new significant content (beyond compatability patches) seems like a stretch to me.

My guess is that the legendaries (especially paired mascots) will be some of the version exclusives.

Giving X/Y a whole load of new significant content (beyond compatability patches) seems like a stretch to me.
I wouldn't call 5-10 legendaries "a whole load of new significant content". And we have no way of knowing if the data is already in the games; hackers can only fiddle with items and Pokémon, rather than overworld data.

Since it says "all legendaries will be available in gen 6" I imagine the ones in XY wont be available. Maybe you fly with the Lati to like Sinnoh or whatever, though it's just shown as a Island.

Anyway, would have to see the feature before judging it.

Wouldn't this mean those legendaries are all locked to events anyway?

Hmmm...isn't this a pickle?

On one hand, they like to bury us under Legendaries in the last games of the Generation. On the other, it's a little too soon. I have a hard time imagining a Gen being less than 3 years long. Not to mention Zygrande, Hoopa, Volcanion, and the Mysteries of X & Y...though DLC and online events could take care of those.

Though one can never tell what those tricky, tricky bastards at Gamefreak will do next... :-/

Last edited:
Hmmm...isn't this a pickle?

On one hand, they like to bury us under Legendaries in the last games of the Generation. On the other, it's a little too soon. I have a hard time imagining a Gen being less than 3 years long. Not to mention Zygrande, Hoopa, Volcanion, and the Mysteries of X & Y...though DLC and online events could take care of those.

One can never tell what those tricky, tricky bastards at Gamefreak will do next... :-/

I hardly think ORAS being the last game in the gen is even a possibility. We will see another game, it's not necessarily the last game in the series that has lots of legends, so far we've had HGSS which is a remake just like ORAS and BW2, which were the last games in the generation that was destined to be smaller due to the 3ds. We will see another game, they want all legends available in 6th gen, not just XY and ORAS.

Playin devils advocate here, but how much a stretch is it that the only reason the lati are available in XY and the others are not is because they'll patch this in?

Playin devils advocate here, but how much a stretch is it that the only reason the lati are available in XY and the others are not is because they'll patch this in?

I don't really think they'd take a pretty big and new feature from the new games and just make them accessible in the old ones, would be a hell of a way to remove the uniqueness of a feature just when it's introduced. I theorize that initially they planned on releasing the Mega Latis either to hint even more at ORAS or to hype up people in anticipation for ORAS but then things changed,

Manually flying over the region? This is pulled straight from 90's rumors/wishlists! Funny how things have a way of turning out. Do we actually know how controllable this is?

The fact they're including all the remaining Legendaries this way is kinda strange, given how stingy they were with XY. Any chance of a mistranslation? I'm wondering how Pokemon like Entei, Raikou and Suicune are going to be incorporated this way; limiting them to small islands doesn't really sound right.

Manually flying over the region? This is pulled straight from 90's rumors/wishlists! Funny how things have a way of turning out. Do we actually know how controllable this is?

The fact they're including all the remaining Legendaries this way is kinda strange, given how stingy they were with XY. Any chance of a mistranslation? I'm wondering how Pokemon like Entei, Raikou and Suicune are going to be incorporated this way; limiting them to small islands doesn't really sound right.

What they probably meant that was lost in translation was that the sky legend island thingy will be ONE way that all legends will be available in 6th gen. Because going by the direct translation, it would suggest that we already used sky thingy in XY when we obviously didn't.

I personally think we'll see the big box legends in this way, with the smaller trios and other legends like heatran available by other means like roaming or stationary.

I have a feeling that they may have just meant mascot Legendaries. Kinda like an inverse to B2W2.

What they probably meant that was lost in translation was that the sky legend island thingy will be ONE way that all legends will be available in 6th gen. Because going by the direct translation, it would suggest that we already used sky thingy in XY when we obviously didn't.
Yep. The text says that all the non-event legendaries (not just version mascots) will be obtainable between XY and ORAS, but that doesn't mean that all of them will require the flying method. The Kanto, Hoenn and Kalos legendaries obviously don't.

Theory time

ok so what if the region the backpacker of x and y was talking about is a region in the sky. And that soinvier was of rayquaza. It makes sense rayquaza is revered as a protector like the description of that item and rayquaza is always in the ozone. Its like you need rayqaza and that soiviner to enter the sky region

Every Legendary available? I'm not sure how I feel about that...It's a nice feature and everything...but I don't know. Kind of takes that specific regional legendary oomph away. And last time I checked, Hoenn wasn't exactly the breeding ground for legends (barring the regis and weather trio, and outliers that are Jirachi and Deoxys).

But I guess Giratina needs some fun in the sun too.

Here's a thought. They say you can catch all non-event legendaries across X/Y/OR/AS. There will be version exclusives and trading hijinks (like with the Weather trio in HGSS) we can almost guarantee. How about a cap on the number of legendaries we can get? Only four non-native legends will appear in our game, say? It would be a dick move of course, and therefore I think it is most likely what Gamefreak will do.

Nah. Like I said earlier, patching is incredibly easy for GF. They are developing for one, un-moddable console, the makers of which are publishing them. They could change every second bit of the code if they wanted to. They could patch flying in with relatively little effort. (In fact, Mega Latis would be the easiest part to patch in.)

I think the more likely theory is what Silktree suggested, that flying was planned for XY but cut. XY had a cramped development time, which backs this up. They also introduced plenty of other new content in XY, such as Amie, Super-training (and more support for competitive in general) and cusomisation, which suggests they were making an attempt to seriously innovate. Deleting things from games is tricky though (or so I hear) and usually developers won't risk deleting content and breaking stuff, so they'll just block off the relevant portions of the game and leave the data in.

And last time I checked, Hoenn wasn't exactly the breeding ground for legends (barring the regis and weather trio, and outliers that are Jirachi and Deoxys).

So Hoenn doesn't have many legends, baring 8 of them? :p I agree with what you're saying. I'm not an obsessive collector type (I usually just collect all the non-event Pokemon native to that region) so this is almost a negative for me. As you say, it kind of dilutes the uniqueness of the legend and that legend's region.

ok so what if the region the backpacker of x and y was talking about is a region in the sky. And that soinvier was of rayquaza. It makes sense rayquaza is revered as a protector like the description of that item and rayquaza is always in the ozone. Its like you need rayqaza and that soiviner to enter the sky region
There is no "region in the sky"; it's just a bunch of clouds/portals. The Strange Souvenir Pokémon looks nothing like Rayquaza, which is unrelated to the flying feature (Mega Latias/Latios and the Eon Flute are the trigger).

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom