• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

For how long will Game Freak continue to make remakes?

Boss1708

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
For how long will remakes keep going as a concept?

Personally, I really like remakes as a whole, and I think Game Freak has managed to introduce many new concepts and features to make their remakes new and nostalgic at the same time.

My question is, for how long will the concept go? Until all past games are graphically and mechanically up to date, like ORAS?

Or until they keep making cash?

1) Personally, I am curious if Gen IV and V will even get one remake. Both of them are a lot more modern than the first 3 gens, both in graphics and mechanics.

2) And will gen I, II and III get an other remake in the future? Or do GF think they are final products already?

3) And could revisits become a thing instead of remakes, as the new excuse to visit a past fan favourite region?

I am asking all of this because, with the 3DS, we reached a point where graphics are so good, that the graphical and mechanical difference between gen VI and future generations will become smaller and smaller. Significantly smaller than between past generations.

So the main reason/excuse for remakes could disappear. I wonder how will GF proceed with this.

Last edited:
Ir depends on how much the fans demand it. ORAS was made due to demand of the fans I think. Right now, I think we are done with remakes but that is my opinion. We could have sequels instead for Kanto, Sinnoh, and Unova. If remakes continue, there would be no more regions to remake eventually and I don't want to see re-remakes because it sounds really weird.

Ir depends on how much the fans demand it. ORAS was made due to demand of the fans I think. Right now, I think we are done with remakes but that is my opinion. We could have sequels instead for Kanto, Sinnoh, and Unova. If remakes continue, there would be no more regions to remake eventually and I don't want to see re-remakes because it sounds really weird.
Well, I guess I am a nostalgia guy, so I would like to keep reexperiencing the nostalgia of remakes, even if they are re- remakes, or revisits.

But I personally think re remakes might not become a thing, and am not surenif even gen IV and V will have a remake. Especially gen V, it is very up to date already.

Last edited:
Now that they've opened the door for Pokemon games to come to VC, it's a matter of whether or not they think the experience can be improved. Graphics I agree are becoming less and less of a big deal, but I think at the very least they've got 1 or 2 generations' worth of graphical improvements left before it stops being noticeable. I can definitely see 4th and 5th gen getting remakes with this in mind, there's plenty of things they can do with 6th gen developments like Mega Evolution and the improved online features for them to justify a remake, and that's before we even know what 7th gen has in store for the series.

I think a case could be made for them to start trending towards sequels of past games over remakes. They no longer have a need to bring back games solely for compatibility reasons so if they want to create a full retail game they need something completely new. VC also solves the problem of needing a way to experience the original game, they could bundle a digital copy with the sequel.

I think that it's mostly when the games become outdated. Like if NX can't support DS games I can see them remaking or revisiting the region of Sinnoh, and VC GSC. Reremakes could happen, but seeing VC now I doubt it. If they wanted to remake Yellow they could have done it in Gen VI instead of Gen I VC. But hey, let's hope at least DP remakes can be a thing.

Forever. Remakes are a good way to make money without actually putting in a lot of effort. A few things will be changed here and there, but overall, they'll be giving the same game with a shiny new coat of paint. Even with VC being a thing, I still think they'll continue to remake games for the latest console. VC games will be there to give the crowd that is nostalgic for their childhoods what they want and remakes will be there to milk us out of $40 with those shiny new graphics that includes stuff from the core games of whatever generation because they're too lazy to make anything too unique.

I know I'm looking at this cynically, but it's really hard to type my opinion on remakes in any other way. It was a nice novelty they had with FireRed and LeafGreen for the GBA, but they did it with Gold and Silver for the DS and now Ruby and Sapphire for the 3DS. It's kind of hard to not see the trend they're going with. With the next generation handheld with a more powerful engine than the 3DS, that's when they'll make drop dead gorgeous graphics for Diamond and Pearl.

Remakes are no longer necessary at this point as the most current games are up to date graphics and feature wise but the entertainment industries will work with anything they can milk more profit from these days. That's why films have so many sequels and reboots.

I'm suspicious ORAS were made based more on a high fan demand than necessity, as far as I'm concerned they weren't necessary since at the time talk of it had started the originals may have been behind in current times but the graphics weren't in such dire need as for RBSG. Admittingly quite a few worthwhile features were added but I'm still not the biggest fan of the storyline.

Regardless of how I feel about remakes, however, I'll never be able to resist playing them. ;)
I'll also concede that there are older versions that I long for the Wonder Trade and GTS features in such as FRLG.

Last edited:
Remakes are no longer necessary at this point as the most current games are up to date graphics and feature wise but the entertainment industries will work with anything they can milk more profit from these days. That's why films have so many sequels and reboots.

I'm suspicious ORAS were made based more on a high fan demand than necessity, as far as I'm concerned they weren't necessary since at the time talk of it had started the originals may have been behind in current times but the graphics weren't in such dire need as for RBSG. Admittingly quite a few worthwhile features were added but I'm still not the biggest fan of the storyline.

Regardless of how I feel about remakes, however, I'll never be able to resist playing them. ;)
I'll also concede that there are older versions that I long for the Wonder Trade and GTS features in such as FRLG.
Both HGSS and ORAS were made mostly due to high fan demand.
I think it's a great strategy and fanservice.

While that's probably true for ORAS, HGSS were made for the same reason as FR/LG, because of the connectivity gap between Gens I/II and the rest of the games.
Yeah, it was more for ORAS, true.

tbh i'm not sure. the less cynical part of me hopes that they'd stop with Gen IV (or at the worst Gen V) and move on to either revisiting regions or simply being 'done' with them. the cynical part of me though definitely notices that GameFreak will probably continue to play the 'it's what the fans want' card and make them under that guise.

While that's probably true for ORAS, HGSS were made for the same reason as FR/LG, because of the connectivity gap between Gens I/II and the rest of the games.
connectivity really isn't the reason; it's certainly a symptom of the reason, but it is not the primary reason. the primary reason that FRLG exists is because GameFreak did not include the vast majority of Pokemon from Kanto and Johto. even still, connectivity wouldn't be the main reason because you can simply dump Gen III's stuff (which, like every other generation, has every Pokemon) into your Gen IV via Pal Park. HGSS and ORAS were made because GameFreak knew they'd be popular and thus make them easy money.

tbh i'm not sure. the less cynical part of me hopes that they'd stop with Gen IV (or at the worst Gen V) and move on to either revisiting regions or simply being 'done' with them. the cynical part of me though definitely notices that GameFreak will probably continue to play the 'it's what the fans want' card and make them under that guise.

connectivity really isn't the reason; it's certainly a symptom of the reason, but it is not the primary reason. the primary reason that FRLG exists is because GameFreak did not include the vast majority of Pokemon from Kanto and Johto. even still, connectivity wouldn't be the main reason because you can simply dump Gen III's stuff (which, like every other generation, has every Pokemon) into your Gen IV via Pal Park. HGSS and ORAS were made because GameFreak knew they'd be popular and thus make them easy money.
I hope they continue remaking/revisiting past generations. Easy money for them, great pleasure for nostalgic fans.

Last edited:
I think we might see a new pattern where each set of games get a remake, then when it's time for them to come up again, they get a VC release, then next time they get a remake. So we will likely get DP remakes in Gen 7 and I expect to see GSC VC releases as welll. Then in whichever Generation sees Gen 6 get a remake we could see RSE VC releases and maybe then a Gen 1 remake too, or maybe just FRLG VC release. Not sure.

The other thing I'm not sure on is how they will handle Gen 5, Black/White will likely get remakes, but what about the sequels?

I think we might see a new pattern where each set of games get a remake, then when it's time for them to come up again, they get a VC release, then next time they get a remake. So we will likely get DP remakes in Gen 7 and I expect to see GSC VC releases as welll. Then in whichever Generation sees Gen 6 get a remake we could see RSE VC releases and maybe then a Gen 1 remake too, or maybe just FRLG VC release. Not sure.

The other thing I'm not sure on is how they will handle Gen 5, Black/White will likely get remakes, but what about the sequels?

I've pretty much been thinking this for a while. I agree with it.

Generation 5 is a bit odd. I feel like they should remake the sequels as well, but the question is, how would they do it? Two pairs of remakes in one Generation?

Gen ??? pairs > B/W remakes > Gen ??? follow-up > B2/W2 remakes? Or they could switch the sequels' remake and the follow-up.

Both HGSS and ORAS were made mostly due to high fan demand.
I think it's a great strategy and fanservice.

While fan demand might have been part of the inspiration for HGSS, the second generation, like the first was in need of a graphics update because the originals were made with the limited technology of the 90's.
This is a great deal of difference from the motivation to remake the 3rd generation. At least as far as I'm concerned.

There is no questioning that it's a great way to make a profit.

There is absolutely no reason to stop making remakes. Besides the fact replaying improved versions of games is a great thing, it also allows for generations to stay around a little longer. Generations that have no remakes only last 3 years.

I hope they stop with OR/AS. There's better ways to revive a past region than re-hashing the plot we trod 10+ years ago and putting in the new features we've seen since.

But I suppose it's easier & more efficent for them to just remake.

As for B2w2, they may do what they did with Emerald and have Kyurem feature as a postgame episode, and you got the DNA splicers from Drayden after Kyurem is captured. I'm not sure how they'd approach actual Unova, though. It's very different in the sequels, after all.

I don't want them to remake B/W because if they do it may mean we have to wait until those remakes happen for mega unova starters and that's just TOO LONG

I think remakes will go on as long as Pokemon does. I mean, we're not the target demographic even if GF is aware of us. Little kids are, and those little kids each generation will likely not have played the original version of current or potential remakes. Also money. Most Pokemon fans who protest remakes still buy them, and if they don't, it doesn't matter coz the games still make heaps of money. Also there is the fact that every Pokemon game eventually becomes outdated. Gen V and VI seem up to date now, but their remakes will come in no sooner than 10 years and maybe even longer. Who knows what changes will occur in Pokemon in that time?

Personally, I love remakes. I had a weird playing order so gen III was the first one I could pick for myself and ORAS exceeded my sky-high-due-to-nostalgia expectations. We're at an odd spot here, though - will FRLG be the next remakes, or DPPt? Gen I was my first Pokemon experience, so while I will always love Kanto, we've had four renditions of it now and I'm sick of it. I think a revisit or sequel of FRLG is in order if GF wants to do Kanto again. A vastly different Kanto experience is needed, especially since gen I is being released on VC. I can't wait for DPPt remakes - gen IV was the first Gen I was able to experience the hype and agonisingly long wait for, so my expectations are again high.

Nostalgia is very heavily weighted with me so I will never be unhappy with the announcement of remakes, revisits, or sequels. But in the end, it's the little kids who will want to experience the regions before their time, and they'll likely want access to the Pokemon acquired in those regions, which rules out remakes being replaced by VC. I hope at least they're concurrent though, because there's always something special about the sequel that the remake doesn't have. (For me, it's the glitches. But I still tend to get more enjoyability out of the remake over the original.)

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom