• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Foreign Pokémon and the Chances of Shiny Eggs

PDUTogepi

Screenshot Maniac
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Earlier this year, while reading Jun'ichi Masuda's online blog (*The English version*) I noticed this one entry that talked about the GTS and the features they considered and included for Foreign Pokémon.

C/P from his blog:

"So we considered the following contents.
>some Pokemon's Pokedex descriptions are written in foreign language,
>automatic mail translation,
>the location of the opponent you traded is pointed on the globe,
>country/city name is indicated when you set the cursor on the point,
>rare colored Pokemon's Egg can be found little easier,
>Pokemon traded with different country have better growth
than the one normally traded,
Ideas like above are incorporated in the game."

Being the shiny Pokémon enthusiast I am, I noticed the second to last point was: ">rare colored Pokemon's Egg can be found little easier,"

I'm just posting this here to see if any of you have ever heard of this before, as it doesn't seem very widely talked about. I was just wondering what kind of opinions you guys have and whether you think breeding foreign Pokémon really might up the chances slightly of one hatching as a shiny? Have any of you bred one or two foreign Pokémon and hatched a shiny before?

I have had some people say this may of been a list of things they considered but weren't necessarily in the game, but all the other points mentioned actually ARE in the game, then it quotes at the bottom that ideas likes those were included.
They've given us the ability to get wild shiny Pokémon a little easier, so I wouldn't put it past them to do the same for eggs.

Mostly I'm just looking for some feedback on this as I'm curious about it and it seems it hasn't really been looked into.

Links to the articles in his blog are as follows:

http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/dir/index.php?paged=2
http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/dir_english/index.php?paged=2

The links are to the Japanese AND English versions of the blog. In both versions, it's entry number 118.

I have not seen that before, but it has a few good ideas there. One thing I had an idea for would be to let the person offering a pokemon choose whether or not to show the pokemons moves. For example you have two trades:

Offer: Luxray lv50 for: Charmeleon lv50

Offer: Luxray lv50 For: Garchomp lv100

Now the bottom trade looks a little too much, expecially trade for a garchomp and considering you can find a shinx easily enough and evolve it, but would you find one that had one or a few IVs at 31 and a good nature with Fire Fang, Thunder Fang and Ice Fang as moves?

The top one has moves only luxray knows by TM/HM or level up. If you did not see the moves, then someone with a garchomp would more likley not trade, but after seeing moves, may reconsider

Its good that rare colored eggs can be found a little easier and I Kinda like how pokemon traded from a different country have better growth since most of my trades seem to come from Japan or USA, not Ireland.

No, you can't. He's rather vague about what he means which is why I posted this here, but I personally think it means if you breed foreign Pokémon you might have a slightly higher chance of breeding a shiny. I can't think of what else it could mean.

I found a few Japanese blogs that seemed to try and put this to action and from what I could make out from the terrible babble from babelfish and google translate, one person tried breeding some Japanese Lapras with various different foreign Lapras. Unfortunately, with a combined total of 1300 eggs, they still didn't have a shiny.

I'm just trying to do a little research and discussion with this to see if there's any actual truth and/or method with it.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom