• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Forming a definition

The dark lord trombonator

Yes, that's really my neck
Reaction score
Maybe this has been done and I just haven't seen it, but how do you define a Novelty Pokémon?

I think this has traditionally been defined as a "gimmick" Pokémon, but some gimmick Pokémon can be useful in battle. Do they still count?

Opinions please.

Opinions please.

My definition would be basically any Pokémon that takes a game mechanic within the RPG and pretty much runs with it. It uses it to an extent that that is what the Pokémon is best known for.

Smeargle for instance, it's "gimmick" is that it can learn almost any move in the game, Ditto can transform into it's opponent, Castform changes with weather, Eevee has many evolution triggers... etc.

This also isn't limited to normal types either.

To me, a novelty Pokémon is a single-stage Pokémon with an unique ability (Kecleon's Color Change, Castform's Forecast, Phione and Manaphy's Hydration), a certain move (usually very rare) strongly assigned to it (Ditto's Transform, Smeargle's Sketch, Delibird's Present, Unown's Hidden Power) or an other special feature (Ditto's excellent breeding help, Unown's 28 different forms).

To me, a novelty Pokemon is a Pokemon with relatively weak base stats, but also has something that lets it stand out. (like Ditto Transforming into any Pokemon, Spinda's nearly infinite amount of spot patterns and Smeargle Sketching almost any move).

Any Pokemon that focuses completely on a single game mechanic and is used to showcase said mechanic. It generally isn't a very useful pokemon without the mechanic.

Examples:
Plusle and Minun(Double Battles)
Chatot(Microphone)
Ditto(Transforming and Breeding)
ETC.

Something i wanna throw in the trash because it doesn't evolve and has horrible stats. (But, Plusle and Minun have decend spec. atk)

a gimick pokemon is generally a unique pokemon with terrible stats. They all have something about them that is never used by any other pokemon. Like with Plusle and Minun who are practically designed for double battles, or Castform and his weather thing.

Or Chatot and Chatter.

To me, a gimmick pokemon is a pokemon that's unique by focusing on a feature that almost no other pokemon use (with the exception of Spinda and confusion, and possibly Darkrai and sleep, since those ailments can be easily given by other means.) Therefore, this definition includes pokemon like Groudon (has a lot of moves that are benefited by its auto-sun), Arceus (who else uses the plates in such a fashion), and Smeargle (the only one that can sketch any other move.)

What about gimmick Pokémon that happen to also be very strong? Do they count as "gimmick Pokémon" under your definitions?

Wobbuffet. It has the same base stat total as Pachirisu and others, it's gimmick revolves around not attacking first and retaliating. However, it's a gamebreaker due to slight tweaking and it's ability.

I describe them as Pokémon that showcase new features in new generations, and usually lack exceptional battling skill.

Examples:
Spinda, Castform, Shedninja, Plusle, Minun, Volbeat, Illumise, Chatot, Kecleon and Ditto

I would say Pokemon that are based on using one game mechanic, as others have said. Novelty Pokemon are different than gimmick pokemon in that they are usually just rare, weak pokemon (babies, Delibird, Farfetch'd) that are not practical for battling (no Delibird's ability does NOT make it worthwhile). And legendaries like Arceus can be gimmick pokemon if, like Arceus, they depend on an item or some other mechanic to stand out.

Hey, great ideas, guys.

I don't think baby Pokémon should be included as gimmicks. I like the idea that those who evolve cannot be included, and I agree with most of your examples.

Farfetch'd was only mentioned once, and I'd always thought it was a gimmick especially because of its situation in the Kanto games. Did you guys overlook it, or have I always been wrong?

I describe them as Pokémon that showcase new features in new generations, and usually lack exceptional battling skill.

Also, some other stuff like Luvdisc. It's not about a new feature, but he holds Heart Scales and trainers need them.

So Wynaut and Wobbuffet don't count despite only having one battle style?

Ooh. Forgot them. I hate having exceptions to a rule so looks like we're back where we started.

Perhaps a better way of describing them is as "single-purpose Pokémon", i.e. one moveset i.e. Wobbuffet, gimmicky move i.e. Chatter, non-battle/contest/actually useful role in the game i.e. Luvdisc.

Does that sound better? Have I missed anyone or left room for obvious non-novelties to get in?

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom