• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Forum bug fixes and other improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Thank you everyone for your patience with us as we continue to tinker with this new XenForo setup to get things working properly for everyone.

If you're looking for the thread to report issues, head over to the General XenForo Issues/Gltches/Ideas Thread

I'll be using this thread to keep track of things that should be fixed, thanks to your reports. I'll make a new post every day, and edit in all the fixes that have happened that day.

I'll keep this first post updated with a list of things that are working as intended, since there's always someone reporting things as bugs that really are features. ^^;; I'll also be updating it with things which cannot be fixed currently. That's generally only going to be a factor when we did something on vBulletin with an addon that there's currently no equivalent of for XenForo.

Working As Intended:
Blogs
Some users have asked why they can't view blogs while they are logged out. This is working as intended. In vBulletin, we had a significant issue with spam accounts using various tricks to allow them to post spam content in blogs without it showing up in the blog list. This caused problems for us on several occasions, where Bulbagarden actually received DCMA takedown requests that put our forums server out of action for several days at a time from companies whose brands had been used in these spam posts (and since Bulba has a much better search rank than them, the spam blog ended up higher in Google searches than their own company homepage). By restricting blogs to logged in users, spam accounts are unlikely to target blogs in future, as they're not an enticing target if search engines will never see them anyway.

Mentions
Some users have reported problems with user mentions.
  • In your alert preferences, make sure that the option for "Mentions you in a message" and "Mentions you in a profile post or comment" are ticked.
  • Please try mentions without the ; at the end of the username that was required on the old Bulbagarden forums. If this does not solve your issues, please let me know.
  • Mentions *should* work even when you edit them into a post later, but if that doesn't work please let me knoww

Profile Posts

Some users have wondered about why the Profile Posts (what were called Visitor Messages on vBulletin) lacks a "View Conversation" link to let them view all the messages shared between them and the other person.
Sadly, this feature of vBulletin's Visitor Messages does not have an equivalent for XenForo's Profile Posts. Though we are open to the idea of installing an addon which would restore similar functionality, we have not identified any XenForo addons which would do this. If you know of one, feel free to let us know and we'll take a look. Otherwise, I'm afraid these are gone.

Username Changes
Several users have reported that they don't have access to change usernames. Here's what you need to know.
  • To have access to this feature your account must have been registered at least 6 months ago, and you must have accumulated at least 150 posts.
  • Usernames can currently be changed once every 10 days. This is a special thing just for the period up until New Year's. Then we'll be reverting back to the 90 day periods we had on the vBulletin.

Warnings
Some users have reported that they can see warnings (what were called infractions on vBulletin) received, and asked if that was a problem.
  • If you can see your warnings that apply to you specifically (i.e. you were warned by a staff member), that's intended.
  • If you can see warnings received by other people (including those where you made the report), that is not intentional and you should post in the general issues thread to let me know ASAP.

Cannot Be Fixed Currently
Collapsible Categories on the Forum Home Page

This feature is not a part of the base XenForo skin that the current placeholder ORAS skin that you're all using right now is based off. It is however a part of the style framework that we will be using to rebuild all our skins, so it will return as we renovate the skins. Expect skins supporting this feature to return in December.

Recent Posts in Post Preview
In vBulletin, we had things configured so that you could view recent posts in a thread in whenever you went to the post preview (a.k.a. "advanced post editor", i.e. not just making a quick reply from the thread page itself). This does not currently seem to be possible in XenForo, either in the default settings or with any addon that we've been able to locate. If you do find a way we can do this, please let us know.

Last edited:
  • Staff
  • Tapatalk has been installed for those mobile users who prefer it. XenForo uses responsive forum styles, so the forums should also work in your regular mobile browser of choice. Apologies to those who prefer Forum Runner, however that has not been updated for XenForo in over 2 years, and is not compatible with this current version.
  • Xenforo's default character limit of 10,000 characters per post has been removed globally. Don't abuse it, or we'll put a limit back in place (though it won't be quite that short).
  • Google Account Integration should now be fixed. If it's still not working for you, please let me know.
  • Posts in the Fun & Games forum and its subforum now correctly do not count to post-count
  • Blogs "Example Category" has been renamed to "Uncategorized". A blog has been posted here asking for feedback on what blog categories our bloggers would like to see.
  • The counter in the Blogs tab has been disabled.
  • Various staff usergroups now have their correct italics, bold text, or bold italic text, so now we're even easier to distinguish (if the big banners below our names weren't a giveaway).
  • All registered users may now set custom user titles for themselves.

Last edited:
  • Staff
  • Bulbagarden.net front page now correctly links to the XenForo login (and other misc. issues with that page unrelated to XenForo were also resolved)
  • Resolved some issues with reporting users
  • Fixed some issues with assigned moderators
  • Blogs have been set to allow users to post 5 blogs per day
  • Resolved an issue that prevented a user from tagging more than 5 users in a single message
  • Added a number of requested blog categories.
  • Users may now double click forum icons to mark particular forums as read.

Last edited:
  • Staff
  • A number of forum addons were updated today
  • The modification we use to improve User mentions functionality has been temporarily disabled due to problems with updating it
  • The character limit for Profile Posts has been increased to 4000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom