• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Forums Changelog and Feedback

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
The thread we previously had for general discussion and feedback on the forums was getting a bit long in the tooth, having originally been posted way back in 2015 shortly after we moved to Xenforo. A lot's changed since then, both in terms of the actual backend setup with the forums software and servers, and in our capacity to address issues in a timely fashion as they crop up.

Moving forward, we're hoping to try and keep to a much more regular update schedule for the forums than we have in the past. While I'd hesitate to lock us down into an exact schedule, you can expect regular updates of our forum addons as required, probably on the range of every 1-2 months, in addition to any urgent updates that might be done to address security or user privacy issues. In the interests of helping make sure everyone on the forums knows what's happening when we perform these upgrades, I'm going to be updating this thread every time we make any changes to the forums which might impact on the user experience. I'll use the threadmarks system for those, so you can easily find the latest changelogs.

Along with the increased pace of updates, we're going to be making an effort to be much more proactive in resolving various issues that you all bring forward. I'll also be using this thread to keep you all up to date on what we're currently working on, whether that be bug fixes, or even just work on new forum styles for you to try out. Feel free to use this thread to bring up any bugs/issues/problems that you might encounter here as well (or, hopefully, to give some positive feedback on your experiences with the forums).

Last edited:
Update 2021-07-26
  • Staff
2021-07-26
  • Forums upgraded to Xenforo 2.2.6 Patch 2
  • On login, pwned password is used to check if your current password is known to be compromised. If so, an alert will be generated to inform you.
    • Please note that these checks do not imply that either Bulbagarden Forums and/or your forums account have been compromised. What this check does is determine if the password you use here has turned up in lists of known compromised passwords that are maintained by security researchers (i.e. you or someone else used the same password somewhere that was compromised at some point in time).
    • This check is securely done without sharing the password. For further details on how this is accomplished (i.e. a whole lot of complicated math), please refer to Validating Leaked Passwords with k-Anonymity.
  • The miniplayer has been enabled on mobile in portrait mode for embedded video from all supported platforms.
  • Various bug-fixes and optimizations which should improve general loading times.

Known Issues
  • Staff
This post will be continuously kept updated with various issues that we're aware of, but which we are not currently working on, for whatever reason.

Known bugs in the current build of Xenforo
  • The popup to align images and set them to a specific pixel size is not working properly. You can still manually set these by adding things like align="left", width="500", etc, to your attach tag if you switch to the BB code editor.

Last edited:
Current Tasks
  • Staff
This post will be continuously kept updated with the various things we're working on for the forums

Changes to backend functionality of the forums
  • Exploring potential changes to the layout of the Editor to improve user experience.
    • More user feedback on the current layout would be useful, especially for mobile devices. Screenshots of problems are particularly helpful.
  • Investigate if there's any way we can enable users to collapse/hide parts of the sidebar, rather than needing to hide the entire sidebar.
Changes to styles and general appearance of the forums
  • Moving the Online Indicator icon down so that it's next to the username, instead of partly covering user avatars.
  • On certain dark-mode styles, changing the Twitter box on the sidebar to a light background so that text can still be read.
  • An all-new forum style is being worked on.
  • Several classic styles from our vBulletin and Xenforo 1 eras are being reworked for Xenforo 2.
  • Stickied threads will be condensed down for ease of finding information.
  • Increased use of prefixes across the forums, for ease of finding information.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, but how does the online status thing work? Is it in real time, or is it based on the last place the user was before refreshing the page?

Update 2021-10-26
  • Staff
2021-10-26

Been a bit longer than I'd like since the last update, but there hasn't been as much to update. We've got a bunch of stuff we're still testing that's not yet ready to show off, though hopefully some of that may be coming soon.
  • Forums upgraded to Xenforo 2.2.7 Patch 1
  • Several enhancements to the Badges system
    • You can now view the Badges tab on other user's profiles, to see the full list of Badges they have been awarded
    • You can now view a list of people awarded with each badge
  • In forums that use prefixes to help sort and categorize threads, you'll now see a Prefix Filter block at the top of the forum.
    • Clicking on any prefix from this filter block will make it so only threads with that prefix are displayed. Click on all threads to return to normal view.
  • You can now access a real-time news feed from the What's newmenu showing the latest posts and reactions from users you follow here on the forums
    • This feed stops updating if you change tabs, but will update again within 5 seconds once you switch back to the tab
  • Users can now upload a signature images directly from their Signature Options
    • Uploaded images are restricted to the following - Max file size: 500 KB - Max width: 1000px - Max height: 160px
    • Normal signature rules still apply even if you're using uploaded images
  • Various bug-fixes and optimizations which should improve general loading times and stability.
  • New Forum Style - Bulbagarden Monster Mash (added 2021-10-18)

View attachment 151709

Why did I get a sudden pop-up dialogue asking me to install the forums? Seen that button before, not sure what it does or what the point of it is, but never saw it pop up a dialogue like that before until this update. Not doing it because it's probably bloatware at best, but.

Seeing this means your device/browser supports Progressive Web Applications. Bulbagarden Forums has supported this feature for a while now (after it was added as a base feature of Xenforo, not requiring any addons). If you don't want to use it, you can safely ignore it. There's no special features or functions tied to the PWA.

Update 2021-11-21
2021-11-21

I'd actually hoped to have this live before the games release, but it wasn't to be.
  • The Sinnoh Underground style, a classic Bulbagarden forums style dating back to our old vBulletin days, has been revamped for Xenforo. This style has been set as the default style for the forums for the rest of the month. There may still be some little issues here and there, so please do let me know about anything that might crop up.

The forum seems to be acting bizarrely after the latest maintenance, it sometimes says there's a server error when I try to post and won't let me post for another thirty seconds

Edit: The problem occurred when I was trying to post this!

The forum seems to be acting bizarrely after the latest maintenance, it sometimes says there's a server error when I try to post and won't let me post for another thirty seconds

Edit: The problem occurred when I was trying to post this!
We're currently working to resolve a few issues still after the maintenance earlier today. I think we've at least prevented that error popping up (at a cost of temporarily disabling push notifications), but we don't expect to have all the issues ironed out until tomorrow. I'll post the full changelog here when we're done.

2021-11-30 to 2021-12-2
2021-11-30 to 2021-12-2
  • General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.
....but seriously, we made a few backend updates to both server software and to our add-ons. A couple of those updates briefly broke a few things, but that's been mostly fixed now. There's a couple of issues with display of badges on mobile that we're still looking to resolve, but nothing which should impact on posting. Oh, and also...
  • The Christmas 2020 style has been made the forums default while we work on a new 2021 variant

View attachment 153333

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to be seeing this. (Not that I mind, though...)

This is what happens when a report sent by a user gets moved to the Resolved forum. Staff are supposed to uncheck the option to notify the user who sent in the report so no notifications get sent, but sometimes we forget. Sorry about that! We're all human and occasional mistakes do happen, but it's not often :enzap:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom