• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Forums fail

I just received an page unavailable error when i clicked on the "forums" button
I dont think its a coincidence its occured striaght after the redesign of the front page

It's got absolutely nothing to do with the front page, it actually started before that.

What it does have to do with are the continuing issues from December where we've really started to max out our current servers, leading to us wanting a new one before HGSS.

There are things we can do until we get that new server, but not without our tech, who is away.

Just keep refreshing, until it returns to normal.
No, do NOT do this.
Refresh once. If it doesn't work immediately, give it a few minutes before refreshing again. Thousands of people hitting refresh while the server is rebooting Apache will only make the rebooting of Apache take longer.

What is with BMGf and 503s? It seems like a thread like this pops up every other month. I wouldn't think a Pokémon site would be maxing out servers to often but... :/

What is with BMGf and 503s? It seems like a thread like this pops up every other month. I wouldn't think a Pokémon site would be maxing out servers to often but... :/

Well, Chaic said the servers are getting to full, so they're getting another one. So somewhere in between the process, there's glitches (503's I guess) and the Tech team is on break atm.
I also suspect a lot of more people will be registering because of HGSS.

Thanks.

I've been getting lot's of 503's too. It's getting annoying. Btw, I use Chrome. Anybody else that does?
Edit: Just got one.

Last edited:

We're one of the top 5000-7000 (depending on which day you take the measurement) websites in the world, and now the #1 site in the fandom by that Alexa data.

We make heavy use of wikis, which impose significantly higher strains on servers than a "flat html" website as a certain rival to us uses. Additionally, we host the Japanese Pokemon wiki on our servers, further contributing to server load.

Fact of the matter is, we very much DO max out our two servers, and with the spike we're expecting across sites in the whole fandom for HGSS, we'll most certainly need a third server by then to handle things.

Wow, beating out... a certain green website? Well, I guess you have the forums on the same domain as everything else, unlike them.

True. However, I can also state that statistically, the forums contribute to less than 3% of the hits we receive. Scary, isn't it?

It's a bit scary that it's less than 3%, but I'm not suprised it's less than 20%. There's only a fraction of registered users who are active on the forums, which is usual for any forum. (not including the ones that delete inactive users)
People join and forget about it.

And today's stats say that only 0.8% of Bulbagarden visitors went to the forums... but it's a Friday, so I'm not expecting too many people to be on. Everybody's doing things with friends after school.

Err i get irritated sometimes with this fail problem like 505 error soemthing like that the forums aint respoding like i have mozilla that shouldnt been a problem can you fix the problem with the responding and connection?? its everyday it happens but what i do is leave it for a few mins thatll work..but useally i restart the computer if it stills doesnt work but srsly plz try to fix the respodings and connection for this...

Err i get irritated sometimes with this fail problem like 505 error soemthing like that the forums aint respoding like i have mozilla that shouldnt been a problem can you fix the problem with the responding and connection?? its everyday it happens but what i do is leave it for a few mins thatll work..but useally i restart the computer if it stills doesnt work but srsly plz try to fix the respodings and connection for this...

If you read any of this thread.... as already stated about 6 or 7 times, the Tech team is still on vacation for a few more days. It'll hopefully be worked out soon.

Oh the bitter irony.
I was going to post that it seems that I never get these 503s... so guess what I just got for the first time.

I haven't gotten a 503 since last year, but the login problem gets on my nerves.

I also get the '503' errors occasionally. Both Firefox and Internet Explorer give this error.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom