• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Fossil Zapdos' and Their Errors

Tristynn.Sleight

Reaction score
I've been going through mine and a buddy's old cards, and I think I've stumbled across something peculiar.

I've known for a while about the missing foil on my Fossil Zapdos card where its "Previous Stage" would go. Bulbapedia states that ALL of these Holographic cards were missing this corner piece, except for the ones included in the Thunderstorm theme deck. The major differences between these two seemingly idental Zapdos' (aside from the corrected corner) is the starry pattern of the foil (American style vs. Japanese) and the date printed at the card's bottom (©1999 Wizards vs. ©1999-2000 Wizards).

But when going through my buddy's collection, and looking at his Zapdos, what I have here does not match the description of the Zapdos from the theme deck; rather it is a non-error, 1999, American style starred, Fossil Zapdos.

From what I've seen and read, there are no such Zapdos cards. Do others exist, is this the rarer card or the error Zapdos?
2016-06-30 18.29.53.jpg

These are some cards to compare to:
1st Edition Hypno, to show the pointed stars
Base Set 2 Venusaur, to show the round stars
And the Zapdos, to see the stars on it

This is it nrxt to the Error Zapdos i.e. the one without the Holographic corner. I tried getting the stars to shimmer, but getting these pictures is hard!

Last edited by a moderator:
The missing foil may have just been an issue with the 1st Edition Cards, but I'm not sure.

Mine looks exactly like yours, but has has lightning holographic, not the starry one

Sweet! What does the copyright date look like at the bottom? If it's the 1999-2000 one, then it is from the theme deck rather than the original fossil booster packs.

The missing foil may have just been an issue with the 1st Edition Cards, but I'm not sure.

I thought that at first too, but my other one is not 1st Edition and is missing the foil.

2016-06-30 19.08.09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet! What does the copyright date look like at the bottom? If it's the 1999-2000 one, then it is from the theme deck rather than the original fossil booster packs.

Just 1999. Now I have had a closer look, there are stars on the holograph, just need the light to hit it at the right angle, but there definitely no missing holo in the top-left corner.

Just 1999. Now I have had a closer look, there are stars on the holograph, just need the light to hit it at the right angle, but there definitely no missing holo in the top-left corner.

Ha, maybe it's not as rare as I'd thought... But definitely check out Bulbapedia's page on the Fossil Zapdos, it claims none like ours exists; I'm wondering now what the real ratio is, which is the rarer version.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom