• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Friend Safari on Pokémon pages

In cases where Pokémon would have to be traded, bred or evolved, Friend Safari overrides them.
Trade, yes. Evolve and breed, no. If anything, those cases should be "Evolve XXX, Friend Safari" if a compromise is necessary (a separate parameter would be better, imo), because it's always been about "the easiest/quickest route" to obtaining said species in-game without outside aid, and next to evolving and breeding, Friend Safari is not the easiest method of obtaining if you don't have the Friend Safari for that species (you might as well equate it with "trade"). (And the quickest/easiest route has always been: capture -> breed/evolve -> other methods.)

You can cite White Forest all you want, but those were version exclusive species, and ultimately the Friend Safari is closer to the Dream World in terms of obtaining pokémon than White Forest is.

Whether it's closer to White Forest or the Dream World, it doesn't change the fact that we list both locations on the wiki. By all means, keep it as a separate parameter (May as well list the type of Safari in that case as well) though regardless of if a Friend Safari is added to the template or it's listed in X/Y, it's going to have to be for every Pokémon that can be obtained there for the sake of showing if the Pokémon's Hidden Ability is legally obtainable.

Otherwise, some people will assume that (in terms of the wiki) we've forgotten to add the information to some articles and (in terms of the games) the Pokémon cannot legitimately have its Hidden Ability. Remember that with the exception of Klefki and Phantump (through Trevenant) every last Hidden Ability there is exclusive to the Friend Safari in X and Y.

You can cite White Forest all you want, but those were version exclusive species, and ultimately the Friend Safari is closer to the Dream World in terms of obtaining pokémon than White Forest is.
Once the Dream World shuts down, no one will ever be able to get any new Dream World Pokemon. But if someone just decided to never go online again with their X/Y game, they'd still be perfectly able to get new Friend Safari Pokemon, even any third slot Pokemon they had already "unlocked". And even if someone never goes online with their X/Y, they can still at least get non-third slot Pokemon from the Friend Safari (as I understand the article - note that I don't have X/Y).

...I'm not sure how much I "actually" care how you classify White Forest vs Friend Safari, so long as it's logical. But what you said above doesn't appear to me to evidence any good logic (possibly the logic was just expressed badly). To me, Dream World and Friend Safari seem much more unlike than alike. If you want to put White Forest on one side and Friend Safari and Dream World on another, I'd just like to understand the logic behind that distinction.

In cases where Pokémon would have to be traded, bred or evolved, Friend Safari overrides them.
Trade, yes. Evolve and breed, no. If anything, those cases should be "Evolve XXX, Friend Safari" if a compromise is necessary (a separate parameter would be better, imo), because it's always been about "the easiest/quickest route" to obtaining said species in-game without outside aid, and next to evolving and breeding, Friend Safari is not the easiest method of obtaining if you don't have the Friend Safari for that species (you might as well equate it with "trade"). (And the quickest/easiest route has always been: capture -> breed/evolve -> other methods.)

Every Pokémon that tells you to evolve or breed means it is not obtainable any other way. It is obvious that Charmander evolves into Charmeleon. And even when someone doesn't know that, there is an evolution template on every page. And you can easily check the pre-evolution's page.

Hmm... No one replied yet. So when can it be decided? Can there be a poll on this page or something? The more we wait, the more people will be mislead by the lack of Friend Safari links.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom