• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Friendship

Friendship: Does it Affect a Pokémon's strenght?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Owain

My Sword Hand Twitches!
Reaction score
<---Ironic, eh?

So, you guys are well aware that, in the Anime, friendship bonds with your Pokémon are Serious business, not only they make your Pokémon want to obey you, but, seemingly, it makes a Pokémon stronger, so, i figured we could have a place to talk about being friendly to a pokemon, and how it affects its development.

if there's another thread like this, please post a link to that and close this one.

Edit: sorry for the gramatical error in the poll ^__^

Last edited:
I think friendship is magical.

There's been many many occasions where a Pokemon learns a new move, evolves, or wakes up just in time to deliver a final blow in a battle.

I don't think it affects their strength as much as their willingness to put all their energy into trying to win the battle.

Well, technically, it was resentment towards Paul that caused Infernape to muster up its last bit of strength and OBLITERATE Electivire :p

I dunno, I feel like I can use Paul as like...the main offender for the friendship thing NOT working out for the best all the time...It depends on the pokemon. If they want to be buddy buddy with you and grow stronger through the power of nakama and believing...then they're a type "A" pokemon (A for Ash ^^)

Some pokemon, hardened by the brutal...hardships in life would rather prefer a spartan method of training. Or they're masochistic and anti-social like Paul They are type "P" pokemon (P for pissy Paul ^^).

Infernape was the ONLY exception in Paul's team...the rest seemed to fare well. Except for that Ninjask with the godawful moveset.

I know this may sound kinda cheesy and crap ^^ but, Friendship is beautiful and magic. It's the thing that keeps people happy, keeps them right, and keeps them uh um...hard to describe "true" I suppose. In real life having one reliable friend is very important, whether they be your mom, your dad, or your class mate.

Chimchar when he was a Chimchar went through a lot of crap with Paul and his abusive and mean ways. He's one of my favorite Pokemon ever. After being released by Paul he wanted to go back really badly, (Leaving the abusive life is hard for some I guess :p) and he then sat there sad not knowing what to do.

Ash then shocked the heck out of Paul and Chimchar when he offered to "adopt" Chimchar onto his team, and then Chimchar accepted and then showed that by beating Team Rocket. Chimchar learned a bunch of new moves since his first debut like learning Flamethrower. His little past with the Zangoose causing him trouble and such was pretty cool. The next day they won the whole shebang Ash and Chimchar and I'm assuming Chimchar took Aipom's place. But, in the end the Soothe Bells weren't Ash's real prize Chimchar was. He even had his little scar from Paul's trouble. That's why Chimchar's plot line was one of the best ever it showed how he recovered from his sad and emotional past and got better. It was all because of Ash's friendship and encouragement that helped him move forward.
5z4k5d.jpg

Even Chimchar after the tournament had a nice little practice battle against Piplup he lost. But, was sad over it expecting to get screamed at like with Paul, and the whole sleeping scene and him saving his friends from the Zangoose was just awesome. Even Ash said this to Chimchar. Ash:You did your best, like you always do. Lucario was just too strong. It really showed how friendship does play a part in how things go down in Pokemon, as Chi-Z as it may be ^^;

By forging bonds of friendship with their Pokemon, trainers can start to truly understand everything about them, which allows the trainers to bring out their Pokemon's true strength in ways that otherwise wouldn't even be imaginable. That's how Ash orchestrated so many last-minute victories.

Friendship works wonders when it's put into effect. I'm not saying it's some magical force, but the trust, dedication, and love you bestow into your Pokemon can be quite effective when it comes to its focus and determination.

I think it does because strength has to do with determination and having a friend to back you definitely gives you more determination.

Friendship is the Spiral Energy (TTGL) so to speak of the Pokémon World.

Drake said:
Pokémon touch the good hearts of Trainers and learn good from wrong. They touch the good hearts of Trainers and grow strong.

Then yes.

Friendship works wonders when it's put into effect. I'm not saying it's some magical force, but the trust, dedication, and love you bestow into your Pokemon can be quite effective when it comes to its focus and determination.

This is what i think too, also, having a friend on your side, who you can count on, also givves you motivation, if not only for your, but for your friend's sakes too.

I think it is like with any relationship with anyone. If you feel like you are in an environment where you feel love and support, then you will work naturally harder and your natural abilities will shine through. But, if you live in a place where you feel like you don't have anyone, you wont nurture your abilities to become stronger, because confidence is often lacking, which makes trying seem pointless.

That being said, some Pokemon can blossom under adversity, but as a whole, a Pokemon isn't going to max it's full abilities if it doesn't feel like it can.

team plasma as a whole obviously doesn't believe any trainer is a friend with their pokemon or even that they can be friends with their pokemon. those that do believe in the possability probably don't care about it.

Of course it does. We've seen time and time again when a Pokemon pulled through because it's trainer was encouraging it to do so. If the Pokemon didn't care about it's trainer, why would it care to do well for them?

As far as Plasma...I think it's a case by case basis. There are probably a few that do care about their Pokemon (as shown in the game, remember that one grunt in N's Castle that had grown attached to their Miruhog?) but there are probably a few as well who only do what they're told to do, for the ultimate goal of Plasma. Remember, (at least in the games) the idea behind releasing Pokemon wasn't because of abuse or lack of friendship, it was because Ghetsis wanted to be the only one with Pokemon. It was just presented that way to trick civilians in to releasing their beloved Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom