• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

from a not-so-experienced fan, all-time worst moments in pokeani?

Reaction score
ok so first off uh. when i say inexperienced i Mean it, sun/moon's the only one i've seen in full and other than that i've seen like half of ag, the first like 20 eps of x/y although i wanna finish it, and i stopped watching journeys after like ep 50 i think? anyway yeah my point is i do not know my shit.

anyway, yeah. overall worst moments in you guys' opinions? it's always fun hearing people talk shit, i think. anyway, for me the big ones are probably, like, whenever they just dropped gengar being misunderstood or whatever in JN016 as if it wasn't very much attacking people in it's first appearance, and the beginning of SM048 as it's probably the big moment when i realized that even not considering her gameverse counterpart, i cannot even remotely respect animeverse lusamine. bringing movies in too, good god the climax of M20 was just such a damn trainwreck, like all the gen 1 repeating was one thing but that was like... even the NEW content ended up going to shit. i've also heard a whole lot about ambipom's departure, i remember watching a top 10 video where the dude went on a whole ass rant about it (video and the whole channel's gone now due to... Events tm) and i still think about that from time to time. i've also heard a lot of shit talked about gou catching suicune but eh my main issue is that it's all about suicune again (plus the fact that it'll probably barely show up in the future) so yeah, i'm not too against it in concept.

anyway, yeah, what are the absolute worst moments in you guys' opinions?

The entirety of Elsea's gym battle. Such a legitimately painful episode to watch because I felt like I was Ash's never seen before Patrick Star level cousin bumbling around and making the silliest decisions possible (not bothering to bring his Pokémon and having to run back and fourth just to get them and certainly not realising that his Snivy's a female), not actually Ash himself.

It wasn't just horrific, it made me realise that things had started to change for Ash and the anime.

The whole battle in the Unova League with Mister Trash Can who thought bringing a television remote and not bringing 6 Pokémon to a 6x6 match was a good idea. And somehow he managed to win and make Ash look like a huge donkey in the process. Then again the entirety of the Unova league was dreadful (aside from Stephan as mentioned before) so maybe Ash should have just lost earlier to save himself from embarrassment from that trashiest of trash can characters. :ROFLMAO:

Episode 30 of Journeys I've already mentioned a few times and I will never again go into a full on explanation of it so here's the abridged version: the most pointless soap opera to ever exist.

The last few minutes of Episode 1 of Black and White which didn't just irritate the hell outta me, it set a dark precedent for what was to come for this series.

Last edited:
-Dawn releasing Ambipom so she could play ping-pong.
-Ash's incredibly painful gym battle with Elesa.
-Ash's loss in the Unova League to a complete idiot who handicapped himself by only bringing 5 Pokemon.
-Ash losing the Kalos League to a character that didn't deserve to win after the story seemed to set up a win for him.
-The forced release of Greninja, mostly because of the reason.
-The fakeout loss against Hau for the sake of the Rowlet sleeping gag.
-Goh's capture of Sobble and the advertising surrounding it that made it seem like Ash would get Sobble.
-Goh's contrived capture of Suicune.

oh boy you know what i'm still curious and also i remembered another thing so may aswell bump i suppose, but once again dear god why did the pokeani writers make me see faba shirtless with my own two eyes. "oh yeah that's the ep where i had to see faba's tits" should not be a comprehensible sentence but it is and i really, really wish it wasn't.

I'm willing to give something like Ash v Alain a slide, partially as they did seem to want to explore that a bit aftewards, but I'd say the Ash v Elesa and Hau fights are very much among the worst of the worst.

One is so stupid that I don't think Ash has ever topped that, and he's been around for a lot and done a lot of stupid things.

The other is a needlessly terrible tease of dread because fans go into every league dreading that.

Thunder Armor anyone?
tbh i'm generally pretty lenient on thunder armor bc looking at what happens there, i think i can tell what they were trying to do (that being showing the guts ability) but it was a VERY bizarre way of showing it and the strategy itself was pulled off in quite possibly the most inefficient way possible

How to better demonstrate Guts: have Solrock or Lunatone launch Pikachu into Swellow with Psychic, the collision triggers Pikachu's Static Ability which paralyzes Swellow. Swellow then gets a power boost which the characters realize must be from Guts. Swellow proceeds to lay the smackdown on Solrock and Lunatone thanks to its increased power boost. Heck, maybe as an extra bonus have Swellow learn Facade (because its power doubles when the user is statused, making it ideal for a Pokemon with Guts) or Steel Wing (because Swellow was fighting against Rock-types, so this would have been handy) in place of Peck, which is a thoroughly embarassing move for what is undoubtedly Ash's best bird.

Anyway, for me there are plenty of bad moments, but the ones that infuriated the most were the Gym Battle against Elesa, which is probably the one battle Ash did not deserve to win due to the amount of stupid mistakes he kept making; and the League Battle against Cameron, who was portrayed as too much of an idiot for me to find it believable he'd have a team half as strong as he ended up having. And then he handed Ash his most humiliating loss ever. Sigh.

How to better demonstrate Guts: have Solrock or Lunatone launch Pikachu into Swellow with Psychic, the collision triggers Pikachu's Static Ability which paralyzes Swellow. Swellow then gets a power boost which the characters realize must be from Guts. Swellow proceeds to lay the smackdown on Solrock and Lunatone thanks to its increased power boost. Heck, maybe as an extra bonus have Swellow learn Facade (because its power doubles when the user is statused, making it ideal for a Pokemon with Guts) or Steel Wing (because Swellow was fighting against Rock-types, so this would have been handy) in place of Peck, which is a thoroughly embarassing move for what is undoubtedly Ash's best bird.

Anyway, for me there are plenty of bad moments, but the ones that infuriated the most were the Gym Battle against Elesa, which is probably the one battle Ash did not deserve to win due to the amount of stupid mistakes he kept making; and the League Battle against Cameron, who was portrayed as too much of an idiot for me to find it believable he'd have a team half as strong as he ended up having. And then he handed Ash his most humiliating loss ever. Sigh.

Eh, it was probably more humiliating to lose by way of disobedient Charizard, though the battle with Cameron is just a mess in general. You ever watch it, the pacing's all off from how a battle should be.

To add to the list: The Groudon vs Kyogre 2 parter that ended the Aqua-Magma story.

It was rushed, dumb, and anti-climactic because someone in charge wanted it over with and out of the way so AG could stop being about Ruby & Sapphire and be about the rest of Gen 3. If that wasn't disgusting enough, they gave these episodes some of the WORST animation the TV Show has EVER had.

It's bad enough for regular viewers and fans, but if you're someone who's favorite part is the guest villains, these episodes are a punch to the gut, a slap to the face, and a kick to the balls...all at the same time...

Last edited:
Eh, it was probably more humiliating to lose by way of disobedient Charizard
At least that instance was Ash's own fault for not putting in much effort in training his Pokemon. Plus, a lot of the battles that Ash won during his Kanto journey were won almost solely through sheer luck, so it makes some karmic sense that when he loses during the most crucial moment in his journey it's due to that luck turning against him. The loss to Cameron on the other hand had zero justification, be it from a meta-narrative perspective or otherwise.

honestly as someone who hasn't seen black and white. i gotta say cameron seems like an absolute icon i don't know for what but he seems like an icon, dude seems to just be bullshitting through it all and i think that's amazing. def see how it could be frustrating if you were, y'know, taking the league seriously though.

Fans tend to think about key series moments that make you angry or dissapointed (like Ash losing a League or a Pokémon being released), but for me it's always the slow-paced, generic filler episodes that don't bring any new concept to the table. I can't name any specific examples of the top of my head but that's how I remember most of Johto being. Sinnoh had those too to some extent but it wasn't as bad.

Fans tend to think about key series moments that make you angry or dissapointed (like Ash losing a League or a Pokémon being released), but for me it's always the slow-paced, generic filler episodes that don't bring any new concept to the table. I can't name any specific examples of the top of my head but that's how I remember most of Johto being. Sinnoh had those too to some extent but it wasn't as bad.
oh man, i think that was the reason i quit journeys. i'm fine with filler as long as it's fun since a LOT of things are technically filler but journeys just.. wasn't fun after a while.

Grovyle beating Winona's Altaria with nothing but a bunch of Grass attacks has always felt cheap to me. I was hoping to see him learn Rock Tomb and/or Dragon Breath, since TMs and Egg moves don't exist in the anime, but no. That's why I loved see him pummeled by Drake's Altaria later.

I'm weirded out any time the writers have one of the main characters or their Pokemon eat so much they end up with a "balloon belly".

I know its supposed to be an exaggerated way of saying they ate too much but it looks freaky.

I'm weirded out any time the writers have one of the main characters or their Pokemon eat so much they end up with a "balloon belly".

I know its supposed to be an exaggerated way of saying they ate too much but it looks freaky.
That one episode with Team Rocket getting fat is my least favorite episode of DP because of that. Jessie looked pregnant.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom