• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Future English Movie Remasters (Late)

Charmelizard

Reaction score
Hey, everybody. I know that I should have posted this over a month ago, but I'm posting it now, so let's go on. Seeing as how the HD Remaster for Mewtwo Strikes Back did not do so well in the ratings, it at least makes me wonder about the possibility of any similar events in the future. Would The Power of One or Spell of the Unown get the same treatment? Will Mewtwo Strikes Back get a new DVD release, let alone a Blu-ray release? I mean, when the movie aired, I thought that the American distribution rights had officially reverted to TPCi, but since we have not heard nothing of it since it aired, it leads me to believe that it was only for that one airing. I know what I'm saying sounds stupid, but even if the movie tanked, why would Cartoon Network only air it once and never release it again? Maybe they do have something planned, but that's for us to find out in the future. In the meantime, let me know what you think.

Last edited:
WB (still listed at the end of the credits) may wait until near the end of the year to release something, seeing as how November is The First Movie's 15th anniversary in the US. I think the showing in January was purely designed to coincide with the 16th movie being shown. For what it's worth, the Pokemon.com article used the old DVD cover (you could tell by the green triangle at the bottom-right), which implies to me that a re-release on disc isn't imminent, but could certainly come later this year. If Miramax can justify putting out a four-movie Blu-Ray for 4-7, I'm fairly certain we'll get the first three movies at some point.

Considering the ratings the remaster got on Cartoon Network, I wouldn't count on it.

WB (still listed at the end of the credits) may wait until near the end of the year to release something, seeing as how November is The First Movie's 15th anniversary in the US. I think the showing in January was purely designed to coincide with the 16th movie being shown. For what it's worth, the Pokemon.com article used the old DVD cover (you could tell by the green triangle at the bottom-right), which implies to me that a re-release on disc isn't imminent, but could certainly come later this year. If Miramax can justify putting out a four-movie Blu-Ray for 4-7, I'm fairly certain we'll get the first three movies at some point.

I hope so, but from what I could tell, they just took the video of the credits from CN's previous master of the film, which was still full screen, and played that instead of re-typing the credits. Also, over a year ago, I asked Warner Archive Collection about a possible Blu-ray release of the movie on their Facebook page. Their response was "expired rights. Sorry." They said the same of The Power of One and Spell of the Unown. So I'm not very sure if Warner would be handling the release in-house or distributing a barebones Viz disc.

I hope so, but from what I could tell, they just took the video of the credits from CN's previous master of the film, which was still full screen, and played that instead of re-typing the credits. Also, over a year ago, I asked Warner Archive Collection about a possible Blu-ray release of the movie on their Facebook page. Their response was "expired rights. Sorry." They said the same of The Power of One and Spell of the Unown. So I'm not very sure if Warner would be handling the release in-house or distributing a barebones Viz disc.

(Emphasis mine)

I pretty much surmised this had happened a while back. My guess is that having Mewtwo in movie 16 caused someone to put their foot down and insist on getting this remaster out.

Additionally, I don't take the ratings as a complete picture of the commercial viability of a new disc release. I think time slotting on CN and insufficient advance notice/proper framing from Pokemon played a large part in the disappointing ratings.

Pok
and
Pok

So the first movie and 2000 are listed on blurays site so i think we can expect to see the movies on blu-ray

but i can say this for sure. In my opinion i do think we will get all movies on blu-ray at some point in the future

Pok
and
Pok

So the first movie and 2000 are listed on blurays site so i think we can expect to see the movies on blu-ray

but i can say this for sure. In my opinion i do think we will get all movies on blu-ray at some point in the future

Those have been listed on the website for a while. There's no information regarding them, other than these listings, so I don't think that it's going to happen, at least not as soon as you're suggesting. Movies 1-3 on BD or Widescreen DVD would be great though.

Pok
and
Pok

That website isn't trustworthy and is known to post fake listings like this. Here's an example, a listing for Season 1 on Blu-Ray:
Pokemon: The complete original series Blu-ray

So I think the chances of the links you posted being fake are 99.9%.

Pok
and
Pok

Those have been listed on the website for a while. There's no information regarding them, other than these listings, so I don't think that it's going to happen, at least not as soon as you're suggesting. Movies 1-3 on BD or Widescreen DVD would be great though.

at what point in my post did i give a specific time for them to come out

Pok
and
Pok

Sorry. I just meant that I don't think those links are official.

Pok
and
Pok

What we're trying to say is that those listings are obviously fake.

"The Complete Original Series" is either wishful thinking or a hoax (did make it on eBay a week or two ago before being pulled by the seller). It's possible that the first and second movies appeared on some sort of release list and were never heard from again, but someone probably just entered them in the web site at some point.

Pok
and
Pok

yeah i dont know how they can be fake being on the official blu-ray site. but like i said i still think there will be a day when the movies get a blu ray release

Pok
and
Pok

yeah i dont know how they can be fake being on the official blu-ray site. but like i said i still think there will be a day when the movies get a blu ray release
Well, sorry to tell you this, but that is NOT the official Blu-ray website. A simple Google search would have shown you the REAL website. Was that so hard?

Second, the website you posted is well known to have fake listings. You might as well trust Wikipedia as a source.

Third, I disagree about all the movies being released on Blu-ray. If it was that much of a priority, wouldn't TPCi and Viz Media have already started releasing them as such already? The only reason we got movies 4-7 on Blu-ray is because they were distributed by a different company, Miramax. It's clear that TPCi/Viz Media have no intention of releasing Pokémon onto Blu-ray anytime soon.

Charmelizard said:
Would The Power of One or Spell of the Unown get the same treatment?

Well they did in Japan. In fact all the movies got HD remasters back in 2012.

As for a U.S. release...it may actually be more complicated than "WB no longer has the rights to this so they automatically reverted back to TPCI." Contracts for these kinds of things can be tricky and it could be a Harmony Gold / Macross or a Kidmark / Dragon Ball sort of thing where the product exists in some kind of legal limbo until a lawyer on either side actually takes the time to untangle the mess.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom