• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

(Future) Gen 9 Region

One other thing that I didn't even know until I did a little digging recently:

I always thought Japan & China had kind of a friendly rivalry with each other, but apparently they hate each other WAY more than most people think. It's not a joke. Apparently the Japanese have a better relationship with America & most of Europe than they do with China - or at least that's what I've heard.

We have already seen references to Taoism & the like in Pokémon games, so make of that what you will, but I thought I'd mention it here since this was true long before COVID-19 was a thing.
Nintendo has seen no problems with collaborating directly with Chinese tech giant Tencent, so it's not as widespread.

I still think the next region might be based on India... there's a couple hints in some pokémon (Yungoos, Copperajah) that make me think we will eventually get an Indian region.

Also despite the pandemic, the collaboration between Pkmn and Tencent to make United makes me think a Chinese region is not THAT out of the question despite the generally negative relationship between China and Japan.

Also despite the pandemic, the collaboration between Pkmn and Tencent to make United makes me think a Chinese region is not THAT out of the question despite the generally negative relationship between China and Japan.
True. Specially considering a certain nightmarish incident that happened in China, I'm surprised they still collaborate.

Korea would be more or less out of the question considering Japan and Korea do really hate each other. Just look at the Korean characters in fighting games...

Considering that Japan and South Korea have collaborated together to make anime before, I really don't see a Korean region being off the table.
Point taken, it's just that the way Japanese games portray Koreans is... generally not good. From the fighting games I have played, the only ones that are not bad or assholes are Baek (Tekken), Kim (Fatal Fury) and Seong Mi-na (SoulCalibur).

It looks more antagonistic than normal.

I still think the next region might be based on India... there's a couple hints in some pokémon (Yungoos, Copperajah) that make me think we will eventually get an Indian region.

And not only that, Tencent is helping Nintendo launch the Switch in China. My personal prediction is that the region will be based on China.

Maybe they could use Sri Lanka. *laughs*

No, but seriously, SEA would be a good place for a region. Yes, we got four regions based on Asia, but since Japan can be considered apart from Asia for all intends and purposes in Pokémon, I'm all in for one.

NOTE: I'm not making fun of Sri Lanka. I'm making fun of a certain infamous leak that claimed Sri Lanka would be the Gen VIII region.

I notice that there is a map in Sonia's room. It shaped either like the Shanghai area or the Sydney area.

Please let there be a north african region.Please let there be a north african regiom.Please let there be a north african region.Please let there be a north african region.

If we have pokebritain without a clear mention of politics, we may get Morocco without islam,somehow.

There isn't much interesting stuff to base pokemon about, maybe a "nature preservation" theme with one of the legends being an atlas lion, a professor who studies extinction, because Morocco has a history of caring about fossils,JK, we have a history with throwing dinosaur fossils to the black market. We could have tajin as food (probably change the name) since there are MANY combination for it, and introduce moomoo yogurt, also a steel-ghost variant of polteageist(don't think they'll give regional variants to a gen 8th mon in gen 9 tho)
Just brainstorming some ideas...

There isn't much interesting stuff to base pokemon about, maybe a "nature preservation" theme with one of the legends being an atlas lion, a professor who studies extinction, because Morocco has a history of caring about fossils
Not gonna lie, that sounds really cool. I could see a lot of really interesting and creative things done with that idea. Like expanding out the concept of fossil 'mons, for example.

I guess these could be some of the characters' names in a Gen IX region based on the Korean Peninsula!...

Character typeName in HangulRomanized name
Male player character킴탴흉Kim Taek-hyung
Female player character팤진리Park Jin-ri
Rival character A리채융Lee Chae-young
Rival character B팤지민Park Ji-min
First Gym Leader킴태섴Kim Tae-seok
Second Gym Leader임슬기Im Seul-gi
Third Gym Leader유슨관Yoo Seung-wan
Fourth Gym Leader황승휸Hwang Seung-hyun
Fifth Gym Leader퀀민지Kwon Min-ji
Sixth Gym Leader캉큔관Kang Kyung-wan
Seventh Gym Leader동전견Dong Jeong-yeon
Eighth Gym Leader킴순미Kim Sun-mi
First Elite Four member소뉴빈Song Yu-bin
Second Elite Four member황남준Hwang Nam-joon
Third Elite Four member윤수녜Yoon Sun-ye
Fourth Elite Four member팤채린Park Chae-rin
Champion리하켱Lee Ha-kyeong
Villainous team's boss임휸숰Im Hyun-suk
Villanous team's boss's assistant임승훈Im Seung-hoon

I guess these could be some of the characters' names in a Gen IX region based on the Korean Peninsula!...

Character typeName in HangulRomanized name
Male player character킴탴흉Kim Taek-hyung
Female player character팤진리Park Jin-ri
Rival character A리채융Lee Chae-young
Rival character B팤지민Park Ji-min
First Gym Leader킴태섴Kim Tae-seok
Second Gym Leader임슬기Im Seul-gi
Third Gym Leader유슨관Yoo Seung-wan
Fourth Gym Leader황승휸Hwang Seung-hyun
Fifth Gym Leader퀀민지Kwon Min-ji
Sixth Gym Leader캉큔관Kang Kyung-wan
Seventh Gym Leader동전견Dong Jeong-yeon
Eighth Gym Leader킴순미Kim Sun-mi
First Elite Four member소뉴빈Song Yu-bin
Second Elite Four member황남준Hwang Nam-joon
Third Elite Four member윤수녜Yoon Sun-ye
Fourth Elite Four member팤채린Park Chae-rin
Champion리하켱Lee Ha-kyeong
Villainous team's boss임휸숰Im Hyun-suk
Villanous team's boss's assistant임승훈Im Seung-hoon
Pokémon characters don't usually have surnames and when they do it's usually only in the dub. They'll be named after plant genuses or korean plant names. Not to forget that in Japanese SwSh, Bea is named Saitō , Cara Liss is named Ukattsu, Gordie is named Makuwa, Honey is named Matsuba, Nessa is named Rurina, Piers is named Nezu (despite Marnie being named Mary), and Raihan is named Kibana. Actually when BW first came they said the actual canon names are still the Japanese ones and not the English ones (or at least they're just as canon to each other), for example Grimsley's canon name is Giima not Grimsley, the same way as how Bea's canon name is Saitō. This is because the Pokéworld is much smaller than our world, with only 12 regions (because the fire starters are based on the chinese zodiac) - small enough that there would be p much one language and ethnicity, and some people just speak weird slang to fit their personality, similiar to homestuck typing quirks, and those get translated into say, English in the jap version or French in the english version. I tend to name this language Pokérian because its spoken by pokemon trainers.
Ukraine. The largest fully-Eutopean country.
would be funny if one of the towns was Sarmatia-themed.

Actually when BW first came they said the actual canon names are still the Japanese ones and not the English ones (or at least they're just as canon to each other), for example Grimsley's canon name is Giima not Grimsley, the same way as how Bea's canon name is Saitō. This is because the Pokéworld is much smaller than our world, with only 12 regions (because the fire starters are based on the chinese zodiac) - small enough that there would be p much one language and ethnicity, and some people just speak weird slang to fit their personality, similiar to homestuck typing quirks, and those get translated into say, English in the jap version or French in the english version. I tend to name this language Pokérian because its spoken by pokemon trainers.
When did they confirm any of this?

Pokéworld is much smaller than our world, with only 12 regions (because the fire starters are based on the chinese zodiac)
Eh, that’s just a fan theory and not concrete proof that there’s only twelve regions as GameFreak has never come out and confirmed it. I mean, there’s technically already twelve regions if you include regions from spin-offs that take place in the same universe (Orre, Fiore, Almia, Oblivia), and I doubt GameFreak would stop at twelve regions, core or otherwise, unless the games were no longer profitable. Plus, it's been implied that the Pokemon world is much bigger than what is shown in the games. See Copperajah's and Heliolisk's Pokedex entries in SwSh for example.
small enough that there would be p much one language and ethnicity
Unova and Alola have been described as pretty distant from the four Japanese-inspired regions, so I figure it would probably develop a language and ethnicity/ethnicities distinct from them. Ditto for Kalos and Galar. There's also been a few instances of in-game characters speaking a different language, and I believe for the English version of HGSS there's a character that speaks broken English, implying that it is not their first language (Looker in Platinum also speaks in broken English in the English version, however, it is noted that this isn't present in the Japanese version). These all point to the idea that there are multiple different languages in the Pokemon world.

Not only that, but there's several instances of many different languages existing in a relatively small region. Looking at a ranking of linguistic diversity, several of the top countries are actually on the small side. Papua New Guinea is the most linguistically diverse country in the world yet ranks at 54th out of 194 or so countries in terms of area.

When did they confirm any of this?
I don't think they did, at least for the only twelve regions part. I don't know if the devs came out and said that the Japanese names are the canon names.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom