• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Future Pokemon Game Speculation Thread

BW were not failures not they were underrated. Some game has to be the lowest-selling of all and it being the first to share its console with the previous generation isn't too surprising. Also, XY actually had less sales than it until 2016 but they got a boost thanks to Go's success. For a new generation main series title to be considered a failure it should sell less than 10 million in my opinion and even coming close to that sounds like a big success compared to other game franchises.

Two reminders:
1. BW is the only game in the DS' top ten bestsellers made after the 2000s
2. It received a perfect 40/40 score from Famitsu, Japan's foremost gaming publication. It was only the 15th game in the entire history of the magazine as of that time and to this day the only Pokemon game to receive this honor.

I challenge someone to unearth a singular piece of hard evidence that Unova was considered a failure internally at the time of its release. A Masuda interview, a Nintendo quarterly report, leaked developer e-mails, anything. For the record, I once bought into this meme and I have no idea why, so I'm not exonerating myself.

BW were not failures not they were underrated. Some game has to be the lowest-selling of all and it being the first to share its console with the previous generation isn't too surprising. Also, XY actually had less sales than it until 2016 but they got a boost thanks to Go's success. For a new generation main series title to be considered a failure it should sell less than 10 million in my opinion and even coming close to that sounds like a big success compared to other game franchises.

Who is saying that BW were failures? I never said that and no one on this thread seems to be claiming that. I said that it's the worst selling and there's no concrete evidence to say Unova is more popular than Johto (if anything there's more evidence of the opposite) but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a failure. Some franchises would kill to sell as much as even the worst selling main series Pokemon game because it just does insane numbers. Unless you were responding to a post that was deleted or edited that I just didn't catch, this is a strawman.

Exactly what I said.

FFXIII IS widely considered underrated and treated unfairly on launch, much like BW....

Moderation Notice

Hi everyone, this is your reminder to please keep discussion of this topic cordial and respectful. It is OK to disagree, but please remember to address your disagreements with your fellow participants in a healthy manner, as we want to keep everyone from feeling as though they are being personally attacked. Following this, we would like to advise everyone to avoid making generalized statements about the community that can be perceived as charged language. Thank you for reading, continue safely!

My prediction for what's to come

2024:NSO + Outsourced Gen2 remake
2025:Legend Z-A
2026:Gen 10(it's the 30th anniversary, they can't pass on this)
2027:Gen10 DLC
2028:Outsourced Gen 5 remake
2029:New Legend Game
2030:Gen 11
I think the Gen 2 remakes would have already been announced by now like how BDSP and Legends were announced in February of 2021.

BW came out at around the same time as FFXIII. It suffered a lot of the same commercial problems in eerie parallels.
I think you’re omitting the massive commercial and developmental problems that Final Fantasy XIII experienced. That game was initially advertised as an action RPG. In fact, fabula nova crystallis was going to be a franchise of action RPGs. Production issues were far more prevalent in FFXIII to the point the sequels utilized a lot of reused assets to recuperate the cost of production.
BDSP was literally handed off to another studio and rushed to high heaven and now Legends ZA is not even being accompanied by a traditional XY remake at all.
Based on how the timeline of release came, I felt more like Legends was an experimental project while BDSP was something they could fall back on in case Legends lost them money. When they saw Legends Arceus sold well, they decided to make Legends its own franchise.

So, here's how I see them doing the release order in Gen 10:

New Gen 10 game
Gen 10 DLC
Outsourced Johto remake
Legends game set in the Unova region

There is no way they would release a remake before the DLC for the first games in the generation, it would make them lose sales for said remake.

The new production schedule is very recent and there may be more changes coming along the way.

So, here's how I see them doing the release order in Gen 10:

New Gen 10 game
Gen 10 DLC
Outsourced Johto remake
Legends game set in the Unova region

There is no way they would release a remake before the DLC for the first games in the generation, it would make them lose sales for said remake.
That is if they even do remakes. I'm pretty sure remakes are a thing of the past at this point, especially considering that we're not getting an XY remake this holiday season alongside Legends ZA.

That is if they even do remakes. I'm pretty sure remakes are a thing of the past at this point, especially considering that we're not getting an XY remake this holiday season alongside Legends ZA.
Why would we even get XY remakes with Legends Z-A? It’s pretty clear that BDSP came with Legends Arceus because Legends Arceus was more of a risk, so GF wanted something to fall back on. I’m sure we’ll get traditional remakes though they would obviously be outsources unless GF wants to expand their team.

Why would we even get XY remakes with Legends Z-A? It’s pretty clear that BDSP came with Legends Arceus because Legends Arceus was more of a risk, so GF wanted something to fall back on. I’m sure we’ll get traditional remakes though they would obviously be outsources unless GF wants to expand their team.
So new fans would be more familiarized with how the original looked so they can use it as a point of comparison between XY and Legends ZA.

Considering how BDSP turned out it might actually be.
I heavily doubt this since I said that Legends Arceus was their big gamble as their first venture into an action RPG with an overhauled battling style and not just a simplified one like Let’s Go. Game Freak probably wanted a safe bet, this being BDSP, in their pockets in case Legends Arceus was them biting off more than they can chew.

Why would they remake X/Y before remaking B/W? Legends is still relatively new, so going from ancient Sinnoh to possibly ancient Kalos isn't necessarily too jarring when there isn't a set pattern on which region gets the Legend treatment yet. It was still a surprise announcement, but it was less like they're skipping Unova and more like they can go in any order they want. Going from D/P remakes to X/Y remakes would be jarring when they typically go in order for which generation gets a remake and would feel like they're deliberating avoiding B/W, which wouldn't make sense.

More importantly, why would you want X/Y remakes released right alongside Legends Z-A? Wouldn't that be the same issue with releasing BD/SP and Legends Arceus at around the same time? Even if they outsourced X/Y remakes to another developer, that would still be cramming in two major releases at the same time, which I'm sure it would result in more crunch time for video game developers. It would also reduce how much time they have promoting both sets of the games. That was one of my issues with the BD/SP and Legends Arceus pre-release season. There was such little information given during that time, especially for BD/SP. Spreading out remakes and Legends games would be good. It ideally gives the developers more time to work on the games, there is more time to promote them and more for fans to speculate on prior to release. Keeping remakes and Legends games releasing at around the same time wouldn't be good.

So new fans would be more familiarized with how the original looked so they can use it as a point of comparison between XY and Legends ZA.
I don't think that would be a good rationale to rush an X/Y remake. I don't think that having fans familiar with X/Y in order to compare it with Legends Z-A is a big priority for Game Freak.

The thing is, it wouldn't make sense to have an X and Y remake now given that not enough time has passed yet, also the fact that X and Y are already fully 3D, which really wouldn't make sense to remake them right now when there are still regions who haven't had a 3D debut yet.

And no, the Blueberry Academy being in the Unova region doesn't count because that was only one location in Unova, not the entire region.

Personally, I think we're re-visiting Unova at some point, but it won't be until a few more years. My theory is The Indigo Disk was created to appease Unova fans in the mean time, knowing they'd be upset Kalos was getting its time before Unova.

Last edited:
It will be in Gen 10 then, because I simply don't see them waiting until Gen 11 or 12 to do so. This also points to how they similarly handled Kanto, where during Gen 7, Kanto received so many references and callbacks, then received a game on the next console generation. So I can see them doing a very similar thing with Unova.

Back
Top Bottom