• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Future Pokemon Game Speculation Thread

I don't think that would be a good rationale to rush an X/Y remake. I don't think that having fans familiar with X/Y in order to compare it with Legends Z-A is a big priority for Game Freak.
I think that it tied into BDSP's existence, which was partially so that newer players could experience DP in its original form without having to hunt down old consoles and games on websites like eBay where they will often go for hundreds of dollars. Legends Arceus notably even included a sidequest that requires you to play a good chunk through BDSP in order to even know what to do.

I think that it tied into BDSP's existence, which was partially so that newer players could experience DP in its original form without having to hunt down old consoles and games on websites like eBay where they will often go for hundreds of dollars. Legends Arceus notably even included a sidequest that requires you to play a good chunk through BDSP in order to even know what to do.
I don't think that was the rationale behind BD/SP and Legends Arceus releasing so close together though. I don't think that they wanted to have players familiar with the original D/P games in order to make the contrast to Legnds Arceus stand out more. Fans had wanted D/P remakes for years. I remember people being upset when Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee were announced partly because they wanted either the eighth generation or D/P remakes to be the first main series titles for the Switch and this was in the middle of the seventh generation. This was a way to provide traditional D/P remakes while having something experimental at te same time. They didn't know how well Legends Arceus would be, so releasing it alongside D/P remakes was a way to cover their basis instead of putting all of their baskets onto a brand new experimental game.

At the very least, the notion that they'd only release a Legends game alongide a remake is pretty faulty logic at best and trying too hard to find a pattern when there isn't one yet.

And remember, opinions within a fanbase can change completely within a decade, this happens with popular franchises all the time, not just Pokemon.
That's true. I remember lots of people being critical about Gen 5 when Black/White first came out, in particular about the new Pokemon designs and the fact that old Pokemon weren't available until the post-game, but now it seems like everyone and their family tree love them for reasons that I assume are influenced mostly by nostalgia.

Personally I wasn't hoping for Black/White remakes per se, but when I found out about the upcoming Kalos centric Legends game, I actually felt a little sad that Unova was going to be shafted.

That's true. I remember lots of people being critical about Gen 5 when Black/White first came out, in particular about the new Pokemon designs and the fact that old Pokemon weren't available until the post-game, but now it seems like everyone and their family tree love them for reasons that I assume are influenced mostly by nostalgia.

Personally I wasn't hoping for Black/White remakes per se, but when I found out about the upcoming Kalos centric Legends game, I actually felt a little sad that Unova was going to be shafted.
It's called "The Zelda Cycle". A fandom hates a game when it comes out but decides it was actually the best game in the franchise a decade later. It's named after the fan reactions to Majora's Mask, Windwaker, and Twilight Princess.

I think the Gen 2 remakes would have already been announced by now like how BDSP and Legends were announced in February of 2021.
Remakes tend to be announced in may or june. If you look at the history of the franchise ,it has almost always been announced in one of those two months. The game can be made by another company so they don't have to split their ressources. Ad that to the fact that this is is the 25th anniversary of Pokémon Crystal.

For me Unova make absolutely no sens until after gen 10.And they heavilly tease gen 2 in the last direct.

Which is shaky logic at best because Game Freak has and continues to operate under the logic that every game is someone’s first game. Even with Legends Arceus having a BDSP side quest is not supporting evidence for the time-in conclusion by virtue of being side material rather. This means it’s not the main campaign

Remakes tend to be announced in may or june. If you look at the history of the franchise ,it has almost always been announced in one of those two months. The game can be made by another company so they don't have to split their ressources. Ad that to the fact that this is is the 25th anniversary of Pokémon Crystal.

For me Unova make absolutely no sens until after gen 10.And they heavilly tease gen 2 in the last direct.
We haven’t had a new mainline game not be announced on Pokémon Day since LGPE, which was six years ago. If we were getting a new game it would have been announced then, and it probably would’ve been an ILCA developed faithful remake of X&Y.

We haven’t had a new mainline game not be announced on Pokémon Day since LGPE, which was six years ago. If we were getting a new game it would have been announced then, and it probably would’ve been an ILCA developed faithful remake of X&Y.
They wouldn't remake X/Y before remaking B/W and whether or not they'd work with ILCA for another remake isn't guaranteed either. There still isn't any evidence to say that all Legends games would be released with remakes, especially when Legends was not guaranteed to be a sub category of the main series when Legends Arceus was released.

they're allowed to skip years of production though
xy is still too current to warrant a remake, this is a new legends game that also happens to expand on kalos lore (something that should have been done years ago, and there's evidence suggesting that the z version was planned but ended up being scrapped) and serve as the z version, two things that are/were on a lot of fans' wishlists.
this is only the SECOND legends game; it's extremely premature to try to establish the conditions of either of their releases as evidence for some kind of pattern.

My operating theory is that Legends Arceus was a success. This made Game Freak look at the scraps they probably had for a Pokémon Z because we know those existed from the anime and SM. All Game Freak is doing is retooling concepts they didn’t use yet. It’s not like they have no precedent of doing this. The Azure Flute is one concept they retooled for Legends Arceus

News, my friends.

It appears that the Pokémon Company has created a new subsidiary studio for the franchise, Pokémon Works, which has its headquarters in the same building where ILCA is established.

--- Pokémon Works

It seems to me that the continuity of remakes within the Franchise games and the studios responsible for their creation has become undeniably evident, as well as Game Freak's definitive departure from this area.

I really hope that this new studio doesn’t result in all future remakes being copy-paste remasters with watered-down butchered side features. There’s a reason BDSP got the backlash it did.

If it means we get better main series games then it's an acceptable sacrifice. After all, shouldn't pokemon need to hold up on the merits of the gameplay loop alone?

News, my friends.

It appears that the Pokémon Company has created a new subsidiary studio for the franchise, Pokémon Works, which has its headquarters in the same building where ILCA is established.

--- Pokémon Works

It seems to me that the continuity of remakes within the Franchise games and the studios responsible for their creation has become undeniably evident, as well as Game Freak's definitive departure from this area.

It doesn't even have to be for remakes only, maybe for side series as well.

If it means we get better main series games then it's an acceptable sacrifice. After all, shouldn't pokemon need to hold up on the merits of the gameplay loop alone?
It feels like Game Freak should have invested in more teams and employees at the office. How they run thing feels like how indie devs with little experience run things rather than one of the owners of the biggest franchises in the world.

It feels like Game Freak should have invested in more teams and employees at the office. How they run thing feels like how indie devs with little experience run things rather than one of the owners of the biggest franchises in the world.
That's because they actually want to be an indie company. They don't care much for Pokémon anymore and want to make other things.

Well this is part of the problem, Game Freak has said that they want to run themselves like an indie/small scale dev. They don't really want to operate like a big AAA dev like everyone expects them to be on a console like the Switch. I think they've been reluctant to go in this direction but they're starting to feel like it's an inevitability.

Back
Top Bottom