• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Future Pokemon Game Speculation Thread

@Kallyle This really is the time in the generation where especially wacky and unpredictable things happen. When they're done with the new region, and especially when there's a potential new console transition, that's when they make some of their least predictable moves. I mean look at some of the things they've done in recent generations:

5th gen: made a sequel instead of a third version
6th gen: took a break year and skipped a third version altogether
7th gen: transitioned to new hardware mid gen with a mobile inspired remake instead of waiting for next gen
8th gen: outsourced the traditional remake to another studio and made a prequel reimagining alongside it

I have no doubt that whatever they're doing, whether it's a Johto game, Unova game, or something completely different, there's going to be at least some aspect to this that most if not all of us won't be expecting. If there's one thing Game Freak doesn't like being it's predictable, they always like to change things up. I'm not sure I like your idea in particular (three years in a row of Paldea content seems like a bit much, I think it's time to go to a completely different region), but that kind of outside the box thinking is exactly what Game Freak seems to like doing.

We'll (probably) have a definitive answer in exactly one month. Just a little more waiting.

Now it's February. Pokémon Day is coming fast, and I'm expecting a complete curveball in regards to the next mainline games.

Sure, buildings couldn't work due to architectural differences, but natural formations and foliage can 100% work via porting the models and texture.

But has building differences ever stopped Game Freak from revisiting old regions? Off course not! Look at the buildings in ORAS compared to XY, totally different look and yet they are in the same generation.

If I want anything this year, I want a mystery dungeon explores remake. I really want to see why it's such a good game for myself.

Sure, buildings couldn't work due to architectural differences, but natural formations and foliage can 100% work via porting the models and texture.

But has building differences ever stopped Game Freak from revisiting old regions? Off course not! Look at the buildings in ORAS compared to XY, totally different look and yet they are in the same generation.
Although the Pokémon remakes typically are not asset flips, although they usually are made on the same engine as the new gen games at the time (with BDSP being the exception). Most of the assets are totally original.

Although the Pokémon remakes typically are not asset flips, although they usually are made on the same engine as the new gen games at the time (with BDSP being the exception). Most of the assets are totally original.
It’s worth noting that the aesthetics of ORAS were probably a byproduct of reusing XY’s assets for battles and mechanics. That heavy lifting was done. They had plenty of energy to use elsewhere like making new models for characters or adding moves/megas into the game. It’s easier to do it when you have the framework.

You can't get ahold of the originals?
They released before my time (for context I became a Pokemon fan in 2014 and didn't play a 2D game until 2021). Considering prices for the DS era Pokemon games, It would just be cheaper and more convenient for a 60$ remake rather than paying potentially 100+ online.

They released before my time (for context I became a Pokemon fan in 2014 and didn't play a 2D game until 2021). Considering prices for the DS era Pokemon games, It would just be cheaper and more convenient for a 60$ remake rather than paying potentially 100+ online.
Fair enough. I'd loan you mine if I could so you could experience it firsthand, as I happen to own all three explorers games.

Probably an actual "faithful" remake of gen V.

and by "faithful" I mean basically gen v with environments that loop in on themselves like an immersive sim. This is similar to how legends arceus prototyped SV's open world.

The fans are going to hate this one epically, and the gen that comes next is going to be even more hated. Both mark the point where most of the pokemon fan-haters become palworld fans.

Back
Top Bottom