• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Galar Checklist Thread: all SWSH characters that have appeared in the main anime, and the ones yet to.

Reaction score
I've decided to create this thread as a way to keep track of all the important/plot relevant SWSH characters that have already debuted in JN, and the ones who are yet to. This thread can also be used to discuss which characters we're expecting/excited to see next, and what you want them to do, or something that could be done with them.

SWSH features a large roster of 26 characters that are plot-relevant in some capacity: Leon as the Champion, Magnolia and Sonia as the Professors, a total of 5 rivals (Hop, Marnie, Bede, Avery and Klara), a total of 10 Gym Leaders (when both versions are counted), Rose and Oleana as the true villains, Sordward and Shielbert, Mustard as the Dojo Master and his wife Honey, and finally Peony and his daughter Peonia. (1+2+5+10+2+2+2+2=26)

(As of December 10th, 2021)

Appeared: Leon, Raihan, Rose, Oleana, Magnolia, Sonia, Opal, Bea and Allister, a total of only 9 (!)

Yet to appear: Hop, Marnie, Bede, the other 6 Gym Leaders, Sordward, Shielbert, Mustard, Honey, Avery, Klara, Peony and Peonia, a total of 17.

This mean that less than half of the SWSH cast showed up in JN, which is a little over 2 years old. Dang...

(Thread open to updates as time goes on.)

Last edited:
I believe the director said all the Gym leaders will appear eventually.

Technically we only have Milo, Nessa, Kabu, Gordy/Melanie and Piers to go.

I could see Melanie/Gordy appearing together in an episode. Whenever we get to Piers we'll probably see Team Yell and Marnie. I do think Milo and Nessa should of appeared by now though.

Technically we only have Milo, Nessa, Kabu, Gordy/Melanie and Piers to go.

I could see Melanie/Gordy appearing together in an episode. Whenever we get to Piers we'll probably see Team Yell and Marnie. I do think Milo and Nessa should of appeared by now though.
Still, we only had 2 show up this year, meaning we'll likely only see 2 more (since the show has about a year left) and the rest will be unimportant BG characters in the crowd of the tournament.

Additionally, the DLC characters could have all been a part of Project Mew.

I think they'll all get full episodes, at some point. I don't think most of the DLC characters will appear though, so those characters are probably going to be ignored in the anime like the Sinnoh Brains or Zinnia and many other post game characters.

The DLC characters might be out of luck.

No but seriously: I think it sucks that we are over 2 years into JN's run and Galar has been so mistreated to the point where less than half of it's cast have appeared, most not even doing too much.

We got what is arguably the best roster of characters we've been given up to this point, and what I assume it's also the largest, and they have been nearly all wasted or ignored.

This wouldn't have been an issue if the upcoming tournament had more than 8 participants. That way more Gym Leaders could have taken part instead of being written out of the show.
This is one of the reasons why I don't like the PWC. They really could have had Ash battle more Galar Gym Leaders during the first half of the tournament at least instead of leaving them mostly on the sidelines. Battling more established trainers from the start in general instead of primarily battling one shot trainers would have done the PWC a world of good in my book. Maybe it wouldn't have fixed all of my issues with the PWC, but at least it would have made use of the new and established characters and would have felt like a bigger deal if Ash had to defeat Gym Leaders all around the world. I assume that he'll at least battle Raihan, but it's a shame that he probably isn't going to battle any of the other Gym Leaders at this rate.

I don't see the problem here.
Other people do like the Galar characters and would want to see them getting some attention in the anime. I understand that you don't care for Galar and that's perfectly fine, but it isn't hard to understand why other people would be more annoyed or upset with how Galar characters and Pokemon haven't had much attention in Journeys.

Galar was doomed from the very beginning.
Forcing it to share series with all the previous regions was a horrible move.

It got the short end of the stick; since the staff would never give it, and its characters, the full-focus that past regions had.
And worse, most of the time we had our main characters being trapped in Kanto.
Sometimes it seems like SwSh is the unfavourite of the staff, if they don't outright dislike it.

Was it too much to ask for the setting being Galar, and still feature the World-travelling aspect?

It's kinda sad that I've got the biggest feeling that Allister will only be in the two Gengar episodes only to just help that jobber of a mon and that's all we'll see of him. I am soooo not looking forward to hearing about (since I don't watch new episodes of Journeys anymore but still prick my ears up at the slightest hint of PWC related news) how the rest of the Galar gym leaders gets treated because time is ticking, and with how quick these days go by nowadays for me, it's ticking fast.

Last edited:
Was it too much to ask for the setting being Galar, and still feature the World-travelling aspect?
So you wanted the other regions to feature COTDs and Galar characters only? Let's make a list:

Kanto: Gary
Johto: Chuck (minor)
Hoenn: Drake
Sinnoh: Dawn, Volkner, Cynthia, Rowan (minor)
Unova: Iris
Kalos: Korrina, her grandpa, Wulfric
Alola: Main SM cast aside from Lillie

The non-Sinnoh characters have only received 7 episodes so far, and I honestly shouldn't count Chuck. Does this really bother you? BDSP being promoted is logical, but hopefully we got enough of that (Hisui is separate).

You want to know why Ash isn't going to battle all the Galar gym leaders? Because the would defeat the whole point of the PWC, not to mention forcing the animators to deal with Dynamax more than they'd like.

Last edited:
we'll probably see Team Yell and Marnie.
At this point I honestly doubt we'll see them.

So you wanted the other regions to feature COTDs and Galar characters only? Let's make a list:

Kanto: Gary
Johto: Chuck (minor)
Hoenn: Drake
Sinnoh: Dawn, Volkner, Cynthia, Rowan (minor)
Unova: Iris
Kalos: Korrina, her grandpa, Wulfric
Alola: Main SM cast aside from Lillie

The non-Sinnoh characters have only received 7 episodes so far, and I honestly shouldn't count Chuck. Does this really bother you? BDSP being promoted is logical, but hopefully we got enough of that (Hisui is separate).

You want to know why Ash isn't going to battle all the Galar gym leaders? Because the would defeat the whole point of the PWC, not to mention forcing the animators to deal with Dynamax more than they'd like.
Last time I checked all of these plus more have at least debuted in the anime before in the previous sagas. Galar cannot be compared with these other regions because all their characters had 150 episodes of focus.

No offence, but it is that hard to understand why people want their favourite characters to have at least one appearance on the anime? Specially when it’s the latest games? All the prior series featured the gym leaders and the supporting cast in varying capacities, and the same isn’t true for Galar. You might not personally care about it, but the entire situation is so lopsided against Galar it isn’t even funny.

I'll take Galar gym leader appearances over pointless Kanto fillers that can happen anytime in the franchise.

Yeah they’re gonna speedrun this, which is a shame since they could’ve done it before the dd arc. Or at least cameo them during it. I think unless they share type specialties with Ash they’ll be one off appearances. Like Bea, Allister and Raihan are really the only ones with notable roles so far.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom