• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Galar Regional Variants aka Galarian Forms

Do You think We'll see Galar Regional Varients of Past Pokemon and would you want them

• Total voters
By that logic one could argue that them adding new pokemon to the game is also hypocritical. But it's not. New forms and pokemon are the main draw of the game. They are more important than the old ones.
New Pokemon are what they are though: new Pokemon.

You could argue that Alolan and Galarian variants would constitute as "new Pokemon" because of their type, movepool, and stat changes. But it's still taking a pre-existing Pokemon as opposed to designing something completely new from the ground up. If the games are becoming oversaturated with too many Pokemon, then I'd rather that new species take priority over new forms. Especially since some of the forms aren't even that particularly beneficial.

Though I suppose Game Freak's trend of dropping features, which includes forms and regional variants, help with that. You can't have forms adding to the problem if you just drop them the very next generation. [Insert meme of guy tapping his forehead]

I'm only joking about the last point.

Unpopular opinion: I’m kind of indifferent to Galarian Forms or Regional Variants in general...
Don’t get me wrong, I like the new typings and the lore of animals adapting to different environments. I just prefer vertical evolution a lot more rather than horizontal. Form changes are nice, but when my Pokémon changes I want it to get stronger (or even weaker with a baby form or something).

Kinda cool that they brought these two things together with Regional Evolutions, though. Hoping for more of those.

It's Paul Stanley the one with the star.
It's the whole KISS band rolled into one. Paul Stanley had the star and Gene Simmons had the tongue thing. There might be references to Ace and Criss but I'm not as into KISS as other bands.

I find it a bit odd personally. KISS is an American band but maybe they had notable popularity in the UK.

Weezing resembles a lot the "add a mustache/add hair" forms that we've received in the last generations, but to me it feels more natural because of what we know about Galar's industrialization.

The Zigzagoon line looks very nice. It doesn't go that far of the original, and Obstagoon just looks badass.

I'm glad the feature is coming back, I hope both it and Gigantamax get along well and don't get half-arsed because of the existence of the other.

It's the whole KISS band rolled into one. Paul Stanley had the star and Gene Simmons had the tongue thing. There might be references to Ace and Criss but I'm not as into KISS as other bands.

I find it a bit odd personally. KISS is an American band but maybe they had notable popularity in the UK.

So KISS is an American band but punk rock in general has a lot of British connections. For some reason they felt that the best way to exemplify that was through KISS though?

Also, looking at Linoone from the back I'm getting skunk vibes which is very cool considering nobody remembers Stunky no more.

I just LOVE Weezing's Galarian form...I've been in love with this line (namely Koofing) since it's debut with James in the anime. I love the lord feeling in the moustache and the chimney hat!! From what I could tell only the smoke coming from the top is animated. If the beard and clouds around are smog and they're are not animated then it's cheap and one more nail when it come to discussing GF's ability to handle these games and the hardware.

As for the new Zigzagoon line, I also love it very much. The new evolution looks like a bipedal Linoone with elements from Mightyena and Zoroark but I like it even so and I'm curious as to know if there's more to the grey fur around the wrists.

In general I'm very much looking for their Dex entries.

Edit: now I know why I like Obstagoon...It reminds me of midnight Lycanroc and its "sick pup" look. Now that I know it, it's less original.

Last edited:
Oh you know what'd be crazy? What if Obstruct blocks you from using attack moves temporarily?

So, like a reverse Taunt? Well, it certainly would be something interesting to see, especially as a way to stop a sweeper / wallbreaker. I wouldn't be opposed to something like that.

If they did, then they failed hard since KISS as far from punk as possible.
Lol very true. But think about it from the perspective of a business-suited executive trying to appeal to the “youth culture”. Probably can’t tell the difference between classic rock, punk, goth and the teenage wannabe in Hot Topic ;)

So, like a reverse Taunt? Well, it certainly would be something interesting to see, especially as a way to stop a sweeper / wallbreaker. I wouldn't be opposed to something like that.
All we got as evidence of that is the site saying it taunt the opponent, then uses the move to block attacks. Which sounds like protect, but then the move name obstruct doesn't sound right for that....or it could just learn protect.

All we got as evidence of that is the site saying it taunt the opponent, then uses the move to block attacks. Which sounds like protect, but then the move name obstruct doesn't sound right for that....or it could just learn protect.

True, even though I've seen some people speculating that Obstruct could be a Protect + Counter combo, which would actually be quite nice. Especially if you anticipate a Fighting-type move and deflect the full damage on the attacker.

Sure, it may sound OP, but if its stats are unimpressive, it will be more of a gimmick -- kinda like Mimikyu, whose ability isn't enough to compensate for its stats.

By that logic one could argue that them adding new pokemon to the game is also hypocritical.

So you're comparing Gamefreak creating new Pokemon from scratch (as they should be doing imo), to them adding a few new twists to older Pokemon designs, and telling me that it's the exact same thing... ?

Image result for calculations gif

Nice try, though.

So you're comparing Gamefreak creating new Pokemon from scratch (as they should be doing imo), to them adding a few new twists to older Pokemon designs, and telling me that it's the exact same thing... ?

Image result for calculations gif

Nice try, though.
Did you bother to read the actual post I replied to and in what context I said that?

I'm actually kind of frustrated with the concept of "Galarian forms", not because of the designs that were just released today. I distinctly remember an excuse being given about limiting Pokemon allowed in the game because of all the different Pokemon + alternate forms... Junichi Masuda can go sit on a tree stump in the middle of some wooded forest.

Frustrations aside, I'm really digging the design for Weezing. I hope Ekans/Arbok also are given some sort of G-Forms.

And I don't know how I feel about Zigzagoon/Linoone/New Evo, I only used that rodent to surf across water, cut trees, and move heavy objects in Hoenn so I'm not sure how much use it will get in Galar from me.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom