• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Galar Regional Variants aka Galarian Forms

Do You think We'll see Galar Regional Varients of Past Pokemon and would you want them

• Total voters
Galarian Lioone will get access to Eviolite, yes. Only diehard fans of the original Linoone will use it instead, and it's unlikely to show up outside of remakes.

That Linoone would be better off if Obstagoon were entirely new.
Obstagoon doesn't take anything away from Linoone though. Nothing has changed. People who like Linoone will still use Linoone. In fact your argument works inversely. Since Og Linoone is untouched now, it doesn't get affected by Galarian Linoone. But had normal Linoone had gotten an evolution too, people would have used the evolved form more than the non-evolved one. And being new, Galarian pokemon were always going to overshadow the original ones.

If they designed a good evolution for Linoone, most fans of the species would use it, while naysayers would benefit from Eviolite. The current situation will be particularly bad if it turns out that Linoone can't even be transferred, which could very well happen. Even in future generations, the Galarian line will get precedence for having a third stage.

Out with the old, in with the new.

Even in future generations, the Galarian line will get precedence for having a third stage.

Would it, though? I would expect its status as a regional variant to be a more determining factor - it's not really a Galarian form if it pops up naturally in places other than Galar.

Would it, though? I would expect its status as a regional variant to be a more determining factor - it's not really a Galarian form if it pops up naturally in places other than Galar.
It is if the form just originates from Galar, though- like a German Shepherd still being a German Shepherd when bred outside of Germany.

Thankfully, there not all Kanto all this time. I'm so glad they are bringing back cross-generation evolutions after 12 years, even if its only to regional varaints. I'm hoping for a Rapidash evolution that is based off a Pegasus. I'm still surprised that there is yet to be a pegasus Pokemon yet.
Let's wait for the Greece-inspired region to have that and a dolphin Pkmn.

Let's wait for the Greece-inspired region to have that and a dolphin Pkmn.
Why wait? Regions aren't exactly overly abundant with pokemon based on the country of inspiration, nor are they unwelcome to pokemon based on things from outside of that country (such as Tiger Mask and koalas in Hawaiian Alola). Pretty sure pegasi are one of those things that appear in British heraldry anyway- maybe not as common as the lion and unicorn, but still up there.

It is if the form just originates from Galar, though- like a German Shepherd still being a German Shepherd when bred outside of Germany.

True. But Pokémon are a little more firmly codified in their identities due to how they are marketed - we already have a generic Zigzagoon that has made its home in several regions, and now we have one that is overtly signified as Galar's own special version of the line with a unique evolution that only occurs there. I'm certainly not saying it's impossible, just that it sort of cuts against the grain with how regional variants have been presented to us.

Frankly, I don't think not-specified-as-a-variant vs. has-a-third-stage would even be the ultimate factor so much as the question of which one is a better answer for the needs of a new game. The Galarian line might have Obstagoon and Eviolinoone, but on the other hand, it is doubly weak to Fighting and might have a different movepool. That is something they could take into account. And even that's all assuming that they can't just coexist like the Kantonian Forms and Alola Forms in Let's Go, which I think to suggest that is a little bit jumping the gun right now.

I actually really like Galarian Linoone - but not as Linoone.

I feel like Linoone is so bland (and ruined Zigzagoon) that this form difference makes it already look like a new Pokemon.

In which case, they could have done another line: Pre-evo badger- followed by the other ones. Galarian Zig is fine, but it's hard to improve such a great design.

And as said elsewhere, I don't like them basically changing the species of the Zig line to a badger when they could have given us a new badger mon.

Some may disagree, but the G-Linoone to Linoone difference is as big as Bouffalant-Tauros, so why aren't they different species? And why are Luvdisc and Alomomola not in the same evolutionary line because they are much more alike than the Linoones.

I do think it's odd that the SwoShi site doesn't say what caused Weezing to change its form. Maybe that's part of Koffing's bio? Zigzagoon dodged the issue by just retconning the original Zigzagoon into being the deviated one. But for all of Alola's regional variants, their bios in the Sun & Moon site elaborated on why those changes in their biology occurred:

Exeggutor - Alola's intense sunlight was a boon Great explanation and design.
Vulpix and Sandshrew - Other Pokémon/an eruption forced them to vacate their normal habitat and move closer to Mount Lanakila Not particularly convincing, but really good designs.
Marowak - The threat posed by the numerous Grass-types in Alola forced it to learn how to manipulate fire in order to defend itself, and the loss of territory meant that these Marowak lived closer together to defend their young and formed tighter communities and bonds, awakening a "sixth sense" Ridiculous explanation but design is pretty good.
Rattata - Went nocturnal in order to avoid Yungoos Decent explanation, meh design. Raticate though had a crap explanation and no design to prop it up.
Grimer - Population increases in Alola resulted in greater trash output, so Grimer were imported to deal with it, and the change in diet from factory sludge to everyday garbage altered how they store toxins, though this also made them more insatiable I feel like there could've been a different explanation/design altogether.
Meowth - Imported by the king's family, who pampered them until the kingdom fell, which let the Meowth run loose Awful concept and execution.
Diglett - Reference to Pele's hair; they grew sensitive whiskers to help them navigate and survive in volcanic areas (presumably the iron content in the soil is why their whiskers are metallic) Awful concept and execution.
Raichu - Pancakes lol Stupid concept but good design.
Geodude - This one actually wasn't revealed prior to release so it doesn't have a detailed biography on the site, but I would assume that was brought in to help dig out the underground steam vents on Ula'ula for the power plant, and acquired electromagnetic properties as a result of the power generated Awful concept and execution.

I've said it before, but they basically used up all their good explanations and designs in the reveal with Exeggutor/Vulpix/Sandshrew.

I really like the potential of forms because it shows thought was put into the design but obviously when the results are like Meowth/Diglett/Geodude then it's massively disappointing.

A good design can make up for a crap explanation like Marowak or Raichu I guess but the base of the form should be why it changed and Weezing joins the fold of unconvincing. The Zigzagoon line looks good but I don't think the logic is very good. Jury is still out if they show what mons this Zigzagoon line is meant to be competing with.

I don't know why they couldn't have taken the poison mons (Grimer, Koffing) and made a purified version. Yeah, it would be retconned but they just did that to Zigzagoon. Those are far better concepts even if the rainbow Grimer is decently designed. Hat Weezing is not since it's basically using it to try and explain away the top hat and beard.

If anyone saw the fanart for volcanic Golem, that would've been amazing for the Geodude line. So much more thought behind that then the moustached one we got.

The explanation for Galarian Zigzagoon would work in any region with something like the Wild Area. If Game Freak don't want to render Linoone completely obsolete, then they need to make Extremespeed unique to it. Obstagoon's double Fighting weakness isn't much of a downside given how frail Linoone is. Show me a serious battle where it endured a Fighting move.

A good design can make up for a crap explanation like Marowak
Hey, that one is perfectly good. It needs the fire to survive against Grass-types and mourn its mother and companions.

Gliscor, Noivern, Golbat, Woobat, Swoobat... What bat like pokemon could be pink? Flying/fairy or flying/electric?

I actually really like Galarian Linoone - but not as Linoone.

I feel like Linoone is so bland (and ruined Zigzagoon) that this form difference makes it already look like a new Pokemon.

In which case, they could have done another line: Pre-evo badger- followed by the other ones. Galarian Zig is fine, but it's hard to improve such a great design.

And as said elsewhere, I don't like them basically changing the species of the Zig line to a badger when they could have given us a new badger mon.

Some may disagree, but the G-Linoone to Linoone difference is as big as Bouffalant-Tauros, so why aren't they different species? And why are Luvdisc and Alomomola not in the same evolutionary line because they are much more alike than the Linoones.

I honestly can’t see how how the Linoones can be compared in different to Bouffalant-Tauros.

With the latter, anyone with knowledge of Tauros can understand how the two Pokémon are similar, based on the same concept, but they have distinctly different features. With the former, anyone with knowledge of Linoone from RBE would say that the two are the same species of Pokémon. Putting aside the colour scheme, the different between the two are minimal. They look different because G-Linoone as an evil expression on his face, but nobody would say that it’s an entirely different Pokémon.

At least, that’s my opinion. I honestly don’t think the Linoone situation is any different from any of the other regional variants.

The squirels make me wonder. One could be a new one or one could be a Galar Pachirisu or its evolution?

Galarian Obstagon line needs to battle strong psychic and ghost types in Galar region.

Thats why Morpeko is eletric/dark and developed its ability and move to fight for food with other pokemon better.

Galarian Weezing had to deal with a lot of dragons in Galar and that the air polution there was low it absorbed too much sweet veil of hords of Alcremies what caused it to gain fairy typing.

Im waiting for a region with rock/fighting geodude line.

The amount of dark/normal is alright. Weird that no normal/poison ratticate...
The anount of pure dark types like Persian, Liepard, Absol is more problematic.

People complain to much but its logical that a ground type and a fire type becomes part ice type in a ice region. Part steel sandshrew to show how it still maintained immunity to sandstorm. Ninetales realising mystical powers with realising fire to maintain cold.

Last edited:
You know, there was that Klinklang-like gear structure in the industrial city in the first trailer.

Incidentally, if they're going to reference the industrial revolution, I think a Bug/Dark Volcarona variant would be fitting.

That's correct. She concluded that it first appeared in Unova 100 years ago.
That would be sweet if it does happen. But then again I would like it better if Volcorona got a g-max form instead. As somebody said earlier, I think galarian forms will be restricted to gens 1-3 or 1-4 if they’re generous so that way they can release them in go in order to promote sword and shield.

Why wait? Regions aren't exactly overly abundant with pokemon based on the country of inspiration, nor are they unwelcome to pokemon based on things from outside of that country (such as Tiger Mask and koalas in Hawaiian Alola). Pretty sure pegasi are one of those things that appear in British heraldry anyway- maybe not as common as the lion and unicorn, but still up there.
Because then we end up with Pkmn like Serperior, Lilligant, Escavalier and the Musketter Trio released in an American-style region, only to have the setting where they would belong better coming up next and feeling that GF screwed up due to perhaps lack of criativity and antecipated some ideas. Just like Mega-Blaziken being revealed in XY when ORAS was being created.
I was fine when the games were inspired in Japanese regions but had to be filled. At this moment, GF travels to certain locations to feel the vibe and be inspired, so if a certain region is to be based on some country and certain Pkmn are created from what was seen in that same reason, I see no reason (unless justified in-game with some invasive creature or something) for those Pkmn to be release earlier or later.

Zigzagoon being a "badger" could have everything to do with it actually being a tanuki, an animal that is often mistaken for being a raccoon or badger. Given original Zig's resemblance to raccoons, I think they've just finished covering all the bases with this one.

Plus Linoone already was a badger to begin with.

Galarian weezings new ability and dex description makes me wonder.
Toxic Absorb , Toxic Drain or Toxic engine to rise sp. Attack status one stage? It can always learn Magnet Rise.
Maybe they created fairy powder with levitating effect or something else?

Galar Magmar fire/fairy with such a ability?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom