• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Galar Regional Variants aka Galarian Forms

Do You think We'll see Galar Regional Varients of Past Pokemon and would you want them

• Total voters
However, it did 'recently' get retyped as a fairy type, so I don't know where they could take it design-wise. Possibly they could add dark type to them, and flavour it as the variant being more intensively trained as guard dogs
Dark/Fighting or Fairy/Fighting? It should’ve been Fairy/Fighting from the get go in my opinion.
Maybe make it quadruped/crouching too. We’ve got way too few quadruped fighting types.

Hoothoot & Noctowl: owls are a pretty common sight in the UK and feature in folklore and ghost stories too. I wouldn't mind seeing a variant where at least noctowl becomes ghost/flying
What if they do a Harry Potter reference and make it an Ice/Psychic or Ice/Ghost based on Snowy Owls?

Just as long as one generation doesn't hog all the regional variant spotlight, I'm fine with it happening. I actually want to see a Water-type Stunfisk. I mean, it is a flounder after all and the Water-type version could be its original variant before it got beached and then forced to adapt to live on land.

Just as long as one generation doesn't hog all the regional variant spotlight, I'm fine with it happening. I actually want to see a Water-type Stunfisk. I mean, it is a flounder after all and the Water-type version could be its original variant before it got beached and then forced to adapt to live on land.
Well, Stunfisk was originally going to be a Water/Electric anglerfish, so it would be more or less returning to be what it originally was.

My expectations for their return isn't very high, but I would like to see them return. If they do return, I'd like to see the following pokemon:

• Snubbull & Granbull: it feels fitting, considering it indeed has somewhat of a mascot status in the UK. However, it did 'recently' get retyped as a fairy type, so I don't know where they could take it design-wise. Possibly they could add dark type to them, and flavour it as the variant being more intensively trained as guard dogs
  • Hoothoot & Noctowl: owls are a pretty common sight in the UK and feature in folklore and ghost stories too. I wouldn't mind seeing a variant where at least noctowl becomes ghost/flying
  • Spinarak & Ariados: bug/ghost is a similarly underutilised combination and a little nod toward the Legend of Zelda franchise would not be unwelcome
  • Seedot, Nuzleaf, & Shiftry: a variant based on the Green Man motif with a grass/fairy typing rather than grass/dark
  • Goomy, Sliggoo, & Goodra: a bug/dragon type because we don't have that combination yet and I feel like the line would be at home in the region regardless
Did we actually get confirmations those stadiums are gyms? It looks a lot more like some sort of sidequest, not to mention there are only 6 visible on the map.

I also don't think we should just consider Megas, Z-Moves, and variants 'abandoned' simply because we haven't had them for one generation. Actually, the only of one these three we haven't had for one generation are mega evolutions, which thematically weren't very relevant to Alola. The only Z-moves we could get are species-specific ones, so I don't see that happening yet either. It wouldn't make sense lore-wise either
Unlike Past regions; The Map ISN'T one-to-one with The Locations showed off in the trailer. . . as shown by the Old Analysis Machine. . .

Last edited:
Unlike Past regions; The Map ISN'T one-to-one with The Locations showed off in the trailer. . . as shown by the Old Analysis Machine. . .
Unless you played the games already, you don't know how the map compares to the region. Not to mention that the Kalos and Alola maps were definitely not 1:1 representations of the region either.

The stadiums are very distinct landmarks though, but only six are shown. We've always had 8 gyms, and the only deviation we've had from that so far were triala. Nor do they appear in a good 1/3 of the region, which would be a very odd distribution for gyms.

You're being rather rude in tone towards people, so if this thread is gonna be like that, I think I'm done with this discussion.

Unless you played the games already, you don't know how the map compares to the region. Not to mention that the Kalos and Alola maps were definitely not 1:1 representations of the region either.

The stadiums are very distinct landmarks though, but only six are shown. We've always had 8 gyms, and the only deviation we've had from that so far were triala. Nor do they appear in a good 1/3 of the region, which would be a very odd distribution for gyms.

You're being rather rude in tone towards people, so if this thread is gonna be like that, I think I'm done with this discussion.
sorry. . .

While I thought regional variants continuing forward was a likely thing, I'm not so sure now. I don't think "regional variant" as an umbrella term is as important as initially thought mainly because it's only ever brought up in the anime as a way to differentiate alolan forms from their kantonian counterparts.

I'm thinking it was probably just a 20th anniversary thing (especially since it was exclusive to kanto pokemon)

I want them to continue adding regional variants as the series goes forward, but I sadly doubt that Game Freak will do them this time around, as they have a track record of shelving popular things in favor of introducing new one-time gimmicks as of late.

I hope our dragon line from Alola comes to Galar and instead of dragin/fighting becomes a four legged armored with head heart shield rolling dragon/steel

I want them to continue adding regional variants as the series goes forward, but I sadly doubt that Game Freak will do them this time around, as they have a track record of shelving popular things in favor of introducing new one-time gimmicks as of late.
It's been going on for a long time, except not with Pokemon forms. They removed the day/night cycle from RS (hacks prove that it could have worked) as well as the old Mystery Gift, and then following Pokemon and rematches from BW (and some other features from DPPt and HGSS, but I don't know how popular they ever were compared to BW's alternatives). DP started the trend of keeping most Move Tutors, gym leader rematches and special battle facilities away from initial versions, while also excluding anything like the Trainer House for easy training.

Last edited:
don't sweat it ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing an entirely new design for a kelpie-like Pokemon either...
Me Neither. . . Though I'd Be wary of ANY Pokemon Based off of a Mythical Man-eating Monster. . . Especially if they're a Horse; And ESPECIALLY if that horse is Water-type; I Don't wanna be drowned than be eaten by a Horse-like Monster!!

Regionally variants have always seemed pointless to me. They are different enough that they might as well be new Pokemon. Hell if they were treated as new Pokemon having their own spots in the national dex I'd probably like them more since then, I would have a place for them in my living dex. Megas seem more essential than regional variants to me anyway.

Regionally variants have always seemed pointless to me. They are different enough that they might as well be new Pokemon. Hell if they were treated as new Pokemon having their own spots in the national dex I'd probably like them more since then, I would have a place for them in my living dex. Megas seem more essential than regional variants to me anyway.
I think they both have their own charm. But in some cases I think I would have preferred a normal evolution over a mega form, even if I do like the mega form.

And disagreed, the nice thing about regional variants is that you don't have to deal with the clones anymore. Cause do we really need 20 more wannabe Machamps andf 60 more imitation Pidgeys? I don't think we'd quite crossed the line where it really becomes troublesome yet, but we're getting pretty close. Cause at some point you're gonna arrive at a 'basically X, but worse/better'

Regional variants are not so incredibly different from Pokemon with different forms, just more permanent. I mean, if you want you could call Wormadam a proto-regional variant

Arcanine: Dark/Ghost, based on the Cu Sith.
Sunflora: Grass/Fire. Because I want this type combo desperately.
Mudsdale: A water/ghost type based on the Kelpie
want it all + that bug/flging type lady bug with fighting secondary.

Since the term "Regional variants" was made, I have a strong feeling that these are something they would continue to make. Why would they make this term if it was only for one region? I also think it is a very smart choice for them to do. After all, it seems these days they are trying to keep their dex numbers lower, and giving new designs and typing and ideas to older Pokemon helps give people what feel like new Pokemon, without taking up another dex number. It expands on the lore of the Pokemon world as well, on how Pokemon must adapt to live in different areas and climates.

I would love to see regional forms make their return in Gen 8. I just love this idea of adaptation to areas, and differences in species. It gets more to the scientific side of the Pokemon world and it's really cool to think about and see all the reasons why a Pokemon adapted. It helps us see older Pokemon in a new light, and it's really cool for a lot of them. Raichu is a great example of this, being a rather underlooked Pokemon seeing as Pikachu is the mascot of the series. Don't get me wrong, I love Raichu, but Raichu has no defining attributes that really puts it out there. But Alolan Raichu is a lot more recognizable and is more than just "the evolution of Pikachu" because he has this really cool attribute where he can stand on his tail and levitate in the air, and he has that additional psychic typing.

There aren't many specific Pokemon that I really want to get Galaran forms, but I was looking up animals in England (which is at least one of, and probably the main place that Galar is based off of), and I saw reindeer as one of them. I mean, I don't like Stantler, and he's an overall pretty forgettable Pokemon. But it would be cool to see him get a new form.

I also do not want the forms to be exclusive to one region, even if it's a different region than Kanto (I can see them doing Sinnoh if we do get Gen 4 remakes this gen). Give all the regions some love.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom