• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Galar Regional Variants aka Galarian Forms

Do You think We'll see Galar Regional Varients of Past Pokemon and would you want them

• Total voters
I believed that Galarian variants would exist, but I never expected a Galar variant-based evolution. I personally feel that the announcement of Obstagoon was out in left field. While Galarian variants was expected, no one saw Obstagoon coming. And unlike Alola, these variants are not limited to Kanto Pokemon (Weezing is the only first-generation Pokemon to get a Galarian variant, while Zigzagoon & Linoone are Hoenn Pokemon). And looking at Galarian Weezing reminds me of someone from 19th Century England (or even Adam Hills from The Last Leg, who in one episode looked like an old-time gentleman - yes, we get The Last Leg here in Australia in case you are wondering).

I believed that Galarian variants would exist, but I never expected a Galar variant-based evolution. I personally feel that the announcement of Obstagoon was out in left field. While Galarian variants was expected, no one saw Obstagoon coming. And unlike Alola, these variants are not limited to Kanto Pokemon (Weezing is the only first-generation Pokemon to get a Galarian variant, while Zigzagoon & Linoone are Hoenn Pokemon). And looking at Galarian Weezing reminds me of someone from 19th Century England (or even Adam Hills from The Last Leg, who in one episode looked like an old-time gentleman - yes, we get The Last Leg here in Australia in case you are wondering).
Well, Galarian evolutions were in that one leak that so far has gotten everything correct. Its just that everyone thought it was a typo or something.

It's been a number of hours now and Obstagoon as a design is starting to grow on me a bit. The key phrase being 'as a design'. I genuinely think it could work as a sapient alien species in something like Lilo and Stitch or Dragon Ball Z, but as a Pokémon it just doesn't work for me. It's literally just a bulked up dude with a badger head and neck. It looks too much like a humanoid alien and not at all like a pocket monster. Maybe it will grow on me enough to get past this when I see it in the anime or wherever, but as of now it's still my least favourite Pokémon by a considerable margin.

Well Arceus be damned. Something from Gen 8 that I can finally fully get behind. Thank you for not abandoning this idea.

I see that Game Freak is still fond of making the lore of regional variants as the original species, as the Zigzagoon line is like Alolan Exeggutor in that respect. This is also the first time the regional rodent has received a third stage evo. Y'know, since Galar is such a vicious place to live in, perhaps the Magikarp that may reside there aren't pushovers like the rest? Maybe they retained their primal nature?

Honestly glad that they idea has extended beyond Kanto mons, and wish that it was solely the core gimmick of Gen 8. Worst thing about it? Game Freak has the perfect excuse to not have Galarian variants in regions outside of Galar, so I'd enjoy them now.

I love that regional variants are a trend now that will be carried over generations and generations. It is an amazing consept and now it is used for beyond Gen I Pokémon. Not particularly keen on those that are revealed so far, but I will be looking forward to the rest.

Just great.

I see that Game Freak is still fond of making the lore of regional variants as the original species, as the Zigzagoon line is like Alolan Exeggutor in that respect.

Alolan Exeggutor is not the original; Kantonian Exeggutor changed into that form because of the stronger sunlight that they were exposed to when brought to Alola.

"The environment of the Alola region, where strong sunlight pours down all year round, brought about this change in Exeggutor’s form. The people of Alola boast that the Alolan Exeggutor is the true form of Exeggutor."

The Alolan people say that theirs is the "true" form, but the in-game Pokédex elaborates on that:

"Alola is the best environment for this Pokémon. Local people take pride in its appearance, saying this is how Exeggutor ought to look."

They mean "true" as in, what it should properly look like. Their region has the ideal climate for it, but it didn't originate there.

I love that regional variants are a trend now that will be carried over generations and generations.
Don't count your chickens before they've hatched.

Maybe the wrong saying to use here but it's the one I thought of. If each new generation has taught me something, it's better not to get too attached to certain features and even Pokemon.

Don't count your chickens before they've hatched.

Maybe the wrong saying to use here but it's the one I thought of. If each new generation has taught me something, it's better not to get too attached to certain features and even Pokemon.
If It was REALLY A Temporary feature; they wouldn't have brought them back at all!!

Last edited:
They announced regional variants for Galar less than 24 hours ago, and some of y'all are really already complaining about the possibility of it not being a truly permanent concept? Phew. I can't. Lol

It's a valid worry though, since there was no guarantee we were even getting them this generation. Not to mention Game Freak's fondness of removing past features. One thing that makes me believe they are safer than the other features, is that it allows Game Freak to develop variants for specific Pokemon without worry for carrying them to another game.

Of course, Let's Go had the Alolan variants, so it may be possible that Galarian variants appear in key locations or a future game's Safari Zone.

With those addition, game freak are really making this game one of the best so far.Looks like theres so much in those.

I think evolutions for regional variants is a slam dunk. I didn't like most of the evolutions introduced in Gen 4, but I'm not completely against cross-gen evos. I think the regional variants getting evos allows us a nice mix of fresh and new and nostalgia. If you like the old pokemon and like the new evo, great! If you like the old pokemon but don't like the new evo, your old fave is still untouched! I'm quite pleased with it.

This image was found on the screen shot of the poke jobs. It is a logo for one of the jobs/companies. Some people are thinking this may be a Galarian Klink/Klang/Klinklang.

View: https://twitter.com/LeaksPokemon/status/1159197949265698816

Huh... well, if they're leaning into the industrial revolution in a few areas (and I think that's a great idea) it'd make a lot of sense... What do you think the new type would be? My guess would be fire for all the coal plants and stuff at the time, but those points kind of look icy.

It kind of looks like a religious symbol. Like for example, a six-spoked wheel which is important in Indian religions.

Mixing religion into Klink's line would be kinda out of nowhere though. I'm willing to bet a Galarian Klink would actually be the original industrial version, while the one in Unova is meant to be how America's Industrial Revolution came later.

Steel/Fire (image reminds me of a sun icon) or even Steel/Water I think would be a possibility. Can't miss the opportunity for a steampunk Pokemon in Poke'England.

Mixing religion into Klink's line would be kinda out of nowhere though. I'm willing to bet a Galarian Klink would actually be the original industrial version, while the one in Unova is meant to be how America's Industrial Revolution came later.

Steel/Fire (image reminds me of a sun icon) or even Steel/Water I think would be a possibility. Can't miss the opportunity for a steampunk Pokemon in Poke'England.
Didn't also appear out of know where in Unova and the Prof was trying to investigate how/why?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom