• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Galar Regional Variants aka Galarian Forms

Do You think We'll see Galar Regional Varients of Past Pokemon and would you want them

• Total voters
I think it would be cool to get regional variants/evolutions of Zangoose and Seviper since Zangoose is based on a species that was introduced to Okinawa (the real life Hoenn) to hunt the Habu Snake. The Habu snake was nocturnal though so it would be like the problem with Rattata and Yungoos, but reverse if that makes sense?

I was thinking Ground/Poison for Seviper; based on a Sidewinder. For Zangoose, I think normal/steel would be cool.

I have a feeling Psyduck could be an option for a Galar form, it's been in every dex so far. It's an easy and obvious to make guess but 1 that could work. I reckon if they do make a Galar form, it would know more about it's psychic potential then a regular Psyduck.

I'd be willing to guess that it has been in every dex because it is Masuda's favorite pokemon. Not sure whether that is a plus or a minus to its chances of getting a variant.

I'd be willing to guess that it has been in every dex because it is Masuda's favorite pokemon. Not sure whether that is a plus or a minus to its chances of getting a variant.
Weeeeell...

Gengar is Ken Sugimori's favorite pokemon and it got a mega.
Exeggutor is Tsunekazu Ishihara's favorite pokemon and it got a regional variant.

so like... great, so they're just a bunch of legendaries but uglier.
The UBs are great as a concept imo and have solid designs (with some exceptions, of course). Beast Ball is an okay way to make the catchable but they shouldn’t have been classified as Legendaries or given game breaking stats. It would’ve been nice to see that the Nihilego we encounter here is as common as Tentacool in another world, and it’s our Pokémon that get treated as exotic and Ultra-Beast-like in the other worlds.

but they shouldn’t have been classified as Legendaries

I'm not exactly keen to get into the whole "what makes a Legendary Legendary" issue and I know that Gen 7 kind of made a total hash of it anyway, but at least according to the Pokémon website, UBs aren't Legendaries, and the possibility for us to catch multiples of them within one game save sets them apart from most regular Legendaries as well.

It would’ve been nice to see that the Nihilego we encounter here is as common as Tentacool in another world

Don't we already see that? Several of them are floating all around when we go to Nihilego's world. You can also see multiple Xurkitree and Celesteela in their own worlds in USUM, and the last man standing in Guzzlord's world mentions that they used to exist in great numbers (but have been dwindling recently).

and it’s our Pokémon that get treated as exotic and Ultra-Beast-like in the other worlds.

To some extent, we do see that in USUM - the Ultra Recon Squad are unfamiliar with the Pokémon of our world; they're fascinated by the Sudowoodo on Route 6, and have trouble working with the Furfrou they caught for their test run of the Beast Ball, ultimately choosing to just stick to using their Poipole instead. The very concept of Pokémon battling is also foreign to them, which is why their battle AI sucks.

Last edited:
I do think some of the UBs have some good designs, but they are just out there. "out there" doesn't automatically mean a negative thing. I wouldn't call most of them ugly though. I just think it would have been nice that we couldn't catch them due to them being so other worldly and foreign and apparently strong. Boss battles would have been nice esp since it is purely the beast taking you on. no trainer in sight beyond you. I doubt that humans can catch any and every beast/pokemon like thing out there, and it would have been a nice touch of UBs being uncatchable imo.

Weeeeell...

Gengar is Ken Sugimori's favorite pokemon and it got a mega.
Exeggutor is Tsunekazu Ishihara's favorite pokemon and it got a regional variant.
What I could never get is, assuming Bug is Satoshi Tajiri's favorite element, why did it get a downraise from Gen 1 to Gen 2, Bug was super effective against Poison, then it reversed that. A lotta people forget Venusaur had a 4x weakness to Bug in Gen 1.

What I could never get is, assuming Bug is Satoshi Tajiri's favorite element, why did it get a downraise from Gen 1 to Gen 2, Bug was super effective against Poison, then it reversed that. A lotta people forget Venusaur had a 4x weakness to Bug in Gen 1.
Well you are just assuming that is his favorite type in the first place. Knowing that it's just an assumption really eliminates the mystery there. It probably isn't his favorite type.

Is there a reason you think his favorite type is bug?

I'm not exactly keen to get into the whole "what makes a Legendary Legendary" issue and I know that Gen 7 kind of made a total hash of it anyway, but at least according to the Pokémon website, UBs aren't Legendaries, and the possibility for us to catch multiples of them within one game save sets them apart from most regular Legendaries as well.

Like legendaries; though, they can't breed, so I can't really use one in a normal play through because they are caught at too high a level; so the only place I can use them is at the Battle Facilities; which; since I can't breed for IVs means I won't be able to use them to their full potential unless I grind them to level 100 and use a golden bottle cap. I like most of their designs, but they are pretty much just doomed to rot in my PC as trophy pokemon.

Like legendaries; though, they can't breed, so I can't really use one in a normal play through because they are caught at too high a level; so the only place I can use them is at the Battle Facilities; which; since I can't breed for IVs means I won't be able to use them to their full potential unless I grind them to level 100 and use a golden bottle cap. I like most of their designs, but they are pretty much just doomed to rot in my PC as trophy pokemon.

That is all rather specific to your own playstyle, though. While the UBs are all limited to the post-game in SM, some kid playing USUM might have no issue with dumping their Lv36 Graveler that's just been sitting in the party all throughout Ula'ula and Poni in favor of their cool new Xurkitree. Nuzlockers, too, would have a decent hypothetical chance of ending up with one on their team during the USUM main game.

Although yes, my own UBs are all just trophymons, aside from the Poipole that I intend to use at some point in Ultra Sun.

Oooo that's an interesting find. We'll see if it continues with future reveals. Interestingly, both Blitzle and Ponyta are on that list, and there is a very interesting 'leak' from Reddit (that looks kinda legit so far, although not proven in any way) that said they would be feeling Galarian forms. Hmmm.
If Pontus or blitzle evolve into a Pegasus I would die of happiness.

Chimecho getting a regional evolution would be great. Also maybe it can be Fairy type. It's one of those Pokemon that seemed likely to get a type change back when Fairy was introduced but didn't get one.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom