• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Galar Regional Variants aka Galarian Forms

Do You think We'll see Galar Regional Varients of Past Pokemon and would you want them

• Total voters
Seriously hoping for some Galarian forms :)

There was a rumor going around about a Snow Noctowl in a similar vein to what PkmnTrainerV suggested. I can definitely see it the way they snuck Hoothoot into the trailer the way they did, and there’s a precedent for it working the same way Pikachu and Cubone did.

There's definitely room for this feature to return, Dynamax covers a lot of what Mega Evolution and Z-Moves did, but Dynamax Pokemon aren't really a new form in the sense that it allows for changes in typing, stats, abilities, etc. I could see them having Galar forms alongside Dynamax. I hope this time they give them to more than Kanto Pokemon though, there's a lot more potential in some of the later Pokemon too.

Still praying to the Pokégods for Galarian forms. They wouldn't reveal them until around August I think, anyway.

Since Kanto got Alolan forms due to tourism (as an in-game reason), I would LOVE for Unova and Kalos to get some Galarian forms due to (assumed) regional proximity. Galar is still physically separated from the other regions by water, which is all you really need for some divergent evolution.

So recently, Nintendo of Japan and Nintendo of Europe have sent out surveys to their fans about Pokemon Sword and Shield. I do not live either of these places, but I did hear about this over a youtube video from poketuber PokeTips.

In the Nintendo of European one, they ask a question on whether players would like to see new Pokemon, old Pokemon, or regional forms?

I don't think we can be sure it actually means something for these games, as it could just be something they are considering for future games. But, I do think that this could point to the possibility of Regional Variants returning in Pokemon Sword and Shield. This is the first thing we have so far hinting at it, and it may just be that it slipped out. Or they really are just considering for later games. But then, why would they be putting it in with the Sword and Shield interview.

Galar Forms are something I am still really hoping for. If we get a decent amount of new pokemon, or if I am really wowed by the Pokemon that we get, then I won't be too disappointed. I do hope that we get some though, especially if we only get around 70 new pokemon.

Fairy/flying rapidash

Foghting/rock geodude line

Fighting/flying farfetched

Normal/poison rattata

Bug/fighting Ledian

Poison/rock maccargo

I’m still not fully convinced we’ll be getting any regional variants this gen. With Gigantamax being a thing and apparently according to the reputable leak (unless we’re misinterpreting it) we will also be getting cross-gen evolutions again, I just don’t really know if there’s room for another mechanic that changes older Pokémon. I guess it’s still possible, though.

If they end up doing Galaran Formes or Galarian Formes, no way that it is going to just be 2 Pokémon. With something that's almost like its own new Pokémon, I am certain it'll end up at the same number if not more than the Alolan Formes. Besides, it could be a good way to "cheat" the GalarDex.

By cheating I mean, the Galarian Forme of this Pokémon is the Pokémon, but its normal forme technically did not make it into the GalarDex. So say if Ducklett line did not make it into GalarDex, but then there's a Galar Forme of Ducklett/Swanna, it will be as if they still found a different way in.

If they end up doing Galaran Formes or Galarian Formes, no way that it is going to just be 2 Pokémon. With something that's almost like its own new Pokémon, I am certain it'll end up at the same number if not more than the Alolan Formes. Besides, it could be a good way to "cheat" the GalarDex.

By cheating I mean, the Galarian Forme of this Pokémon is the Pokémon, but its normal forme technically did not make it into the GalarDex. So say if Ducklett line did not make it into GalarDex, but then there's a Galar Forme of Ducklett/Swanna, it will be as if they still found a different way in.
Oh i have no doubt that it will be more than two. I was thinking way future when we may have even more stuff going on. Its just sometging that i always want to see. Even if its a pathetic number. For this game i think probably no more than alola.

IF there are Galar-forms, then the ordinary variant will most likely be accesible, as well. I have no doubts about that. Look at Let's Go, for example.

Anyway, I don't get the argument that these new regional forms "breathe life" into the old Pokémon designs, as they're more or less entirely new designs based on the ordinary one with different typings, movesets and all that. They share the same species-name and can breed with each other, as well as sharing the same basic-model in most cases, but that's where the similarities end. They are almost new species with entirely new textures and oddities.

They're not the old designs; so, don't pretend they are. Hence they don't add anything to the old designs; they're wholly seperate from them. The only things that could help old designs themselves are better movesets and better base-stats; not different new forms.

IF there are Galar-forms, then the ordinary variant will most likely be accesible, as well. I have no doubts about that. Look at Let's Go, for example.
Sun/Moon had no way of getting regular Raichu, Exeggutor, and Marowak outside of transfers as far as I remember. Not sure, but I think other variants’ Kanto forms were transfer exclusive too.

Sun/Moon had no way of getting regular Raichu, Exeggutor, and Marowak outside of transfers as far as I remember. Not sure, but I think other variants’ Kanto forms were transfer exclusive too.
And? Still accesible. Different forms have always been available through transfers; they're the same species after all. Not having the original designs in the game (transferrable, in this case) would seriously be a very cheap move and not one I see them making.

"Yay my favorite 'Mon is in the game! ... What? He has a different form, but the original one I love isn't in? What the...."

Nope, don't see it happening.

They're basically remodelled versions, to begin with. Minimal work compared to different species with different rigs*.

*There are some exceptions, of course, like Raichu and Exeggcutor.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom