• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Galar's Map is flipped upside-down

Grass Type Gardenia

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
You may have not noticed this, nor have I found anyone on this forum writing this, but by looking at the Galar Region's map and flip it upside-down, you would see it being the island of Great Britain. This is the first time a Pokemon game actually made a Region map at a different angle to it's geographic counterpart, unless you could Unova.

Yes like some Pokemon Region maps, some of the landmarks have been moved around, for examples...

• The Scottish Highlands are located where Southern England is supposed to be.
  • The Manchester City is where Newcastle should be
  • The Birmingham City is where Manchester should be
  • Liverpool (The snowy city) is where North Wales is
But apart from those minor changes, the location of others are still accurate...

• Kilburn has a Hill Figure of a horse, despite the design being based on that found in Southern England.
  • Blackpool, despite having a Lighthouse instead of a Tower, although Fleetwood nearby has Lighthouses.
  • Buxton/Peak District and Sherwood Forest/Nottingham seems accurate enough to me.
  • The rows of houses could be Southport by basing the locations on geography.
  • The Wild Area, although where Southern Scotland is, seems to be more based on the Lake District National Park, which is a major tourist hotspot with it's lakes and mountains.
It's also to note, one of the names of a lake in the E3 showcase in Treehouse Live has ''South'' written, and it's the nearest to the Manchester City and Wall. The wall could be inspired from Hadrian's Wall which is located around where Newcastle is.

I'm just writing this since hardly anyone is discussing it in the discussion page on the official Bulbapedia site. I'm hoping this would help those when more info on Galar's real life locations surface.

People noticed this when the map was first shown actually. Especially since London is located at the very top of the map. Don't think anyone's talking about it because of the other major topics that has hit Gen 8, and there is only so much that can be said about the map until people begin fully exploring the region.

Also, Hoenn is a rotated Kyushu island so Galar isn't the first.
The Regions that are altered the most are Hoenn, Unova and Galar
The Region that is partially altered is Sinnoh and Alola
The Regions that are less altered are Kanto, Johto and Kalos

Yeah I do see what you mean.

People noticed this when the map was first shown actually. Especially since London is located at the very top of the map. Don't think anyone's talking about it because of the other major topics that has hit Gen 8, and there is only so much that can be said about the map until people begin fully exploring the region.

Yeah, the Dex thing has already done that. I'm just trying to help in pointing out the locations compared with real life. Though loosely based on other locations in the UK such as Brighton and Iffington White Horse, you get what I mean.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom