• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gamefreaks New schedule decoded

Reaction score
I think I decoded how Gamefreaks new schedule works, ever since gen 5 anyway.

Basically now instead of 5 games a generation (Ex. Ruby Sapphire Fire red leaf green and emerald) we get 4 games which alternate each generation.

Gen 5 Bw Bw2 (Main series and alternate/sequel of main series)
Gen 6 xy oras (Main series then remake)
Gen 7 SM USUM (main series sequel/alternate to main series)
(speculation)
gen 8-gen 4 remakes
gen 9 gen 9 alternate (sequels anything involving the previous region created for gen 9)
gen 10 gen 5 remakes
gen 11 and etc

One more thing I noticed each remake is half of the current generation for example
Gen 3, 3/2=1.5 Gen 1 remakes came out
Gen 4 4/2=2 gen 2 remakes came out
gen 5 5/2=2.5 (gen 2 was just remade so no remakes)
gen 6 6/2=3 gen 3 remakes came out
gen 7 7/2= 3.5 (gen 3 was just remade so no remakes)
Gen 8 8/2=4 gen 4 remakes will come next generation then
gen 9 9/2 4.5 no remake
gen 10 10/2=5 unova remakes

pretty much take the current generation and divide it by 2 thats how we'll know when the next remakes will come out and since its only 4 games a generation now it'll either be the games following the generation release or if a inbetween year it'll be something akin to Emerald Platinum etc

If you factor in Blue (or Green depending), Gen 1 had four games. They'd be going back to that and it's not anything new to the series.

There are usually two gens per console except for gen 3 which had five games during the generation. So it would make sense that they'd wait for the next gen to make remakes so as not to crowd a system on it's way out like they did with the GBA.

I think I decoded how Gamefreaks new schedule works, ever since gen 5 anyway.

Basically now instead of 5 games a generation (Ex. Ruby Sapphire Fire red leaf green and emerald) we get 4 games which alternate each generation.

Gen 5 Bw Bw2 (Main series and alternate/sequel of main series)
Gen 6 xy oras (Main series then remake)
Gen 7 SM USUM (main series sequel/alternate to main series)
(speculation)
gen 8-gen 4 remakes
gen 9 gen 9 alternate (sequels anything involving the previous region created for gen 9)
gen 10 gen 5 remakes
gen 11 and etc

One more thing I noticed each remake is half of the current generation for example
Gen 3, 3/2=1.5 Gen 1 remakes came out
Gen 4 4/2=2 gen 2 remakes came out
gen 5 5/2=2.5 (gen 2 was just remade so no remakes)
gen 6 6/2=3 gen 3 remakes came out
gen 7 7/2= 3.5 (gen 3 was just remade so no remakes)
Gen 8 8/2=4 gen 4 remakes will come next generation then
gen 9 9/2 4.5 no remake
gen 10 10/2=5 unova remakes

pretty much take the current generation and divide it by 2 thats how we'll know when the next remakes will come out and since its only 4 games a generation now it'll either be the games following the generation release or if a inbetween year it'll be something akin to Emerald Platinum etc
That may be true. An alternate take could be that GameFreak has decided to do one remake per console. Starting with the DS, there has been two new generations per console but only one remake. This is not to invalidate your hypothesis, but rather an alternative perspective. But really, who knows? o_O

If GF really follows patterns, what would they do for 2019? It would be 4 years after their last break and 5 years after their last remakes.

Release Digimon in Sinnoh?
The gap between FRLG and HGSS was nearly 6 years (5 years and 8 months). I think they'll need to take a break, but who knows.

I don't think Unova will get remakes tbh since they already got a sequel version (BW2) and it was the biggest flop the Pokemon company got (these games are the less sold Pokemon games ever for now). I'm sure that Kalos will get a remake after D/P remakes and not Unova (obviously not right after but I'm talking about the chronology).

B2W2 sold more than Crystal, Emerald and Platinum. You seem a little biased.

BW did sell less than XY, but not by much.

Oh I got it wrong then
pokemon-games-chart-1-png.1406

(I think XY sold around 16M so it's 4th or 5th)

It was still a flop imo and I don't think Game Freak will do another version for BW and Kalos didn't get a second game so I'm sure Kalos will get the priority after D/P remakes are done, I could be wrong tho.

How were any of the Unova games objectively a "flop"? Do you really think Game Freak hate them?

I personally couldn't care less about remakes and the idea that they would revisit Unova or Kalos before Kanto/Johto, which are more outdated and popular, offends me. But I don't understand your logic... If Game Freak were worried about Kalos not getting a return in its own generation, they would have done something about it by now.

How were any of the Unova games objectively a "flop"? Do you really think Game Freak hate them?

I personally couldn't care less about remakes and the idea that they would revisit Unova or Kalos before Kanto/Johto, which are more outdated and popular, offends me. But I don't understand your logic... If Game Freak were worried about Kalos not getting a return in its own generation, they would have done something about it by now.

I'm just saying that after the obvious D/P remakes are released, Game Freak will probably start to work on a Kalos remake because Unova already had a sequel version that didn't do well and Kalos didn't get one, It's just a theory I'm not saying that it's true, I didn't even know that they planned to do another Kanto remake.
Now if you find it stupid or whatever don't forget that it's just an opinion , nothing more.

I see them when they do a possible unova remake trying to blend as much two games story together as possible as to do only one title

and truth be told i really don't see them doing any remakes of the older older games especally with the fact that all pokemon VC releases on 3ds have poke transporter and bank support.

what i see them doing next year 2018 is either doing sinnoh remakes on 3ds (an unprecedented long shot although the it would the 10th anniversary of platinum) or skipping next year entirely and release gen 8 on the switch in 2019

I think Gen 4 remakes will be the last remakes. I really don't see how Gen 5 remakes would work, and as others have said they weren't as popular.

I agree. After Gen IV remakes, I don't really think there needs to be anymore. After that, just release the games n Virtual Console and potentially include old regions as post-game content.

That really depends on what fans demand by... 2025? It should be noted that about half of the BW players were not kids, which is to say that they had at least played DPPt and/or HGSS first. That limits their nostalgia for Unova.

Last edited:
Um, Masuda said that 4 years ago. No reason why another director couldn't opt for a different approach more than 10 years later, especially if Kanto/Johto sequels proved that to be a good strategy.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom