• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gameplay Mechanic Complexity Level Explanation in Generation I-VII Main Series Video Games

thomaswiencek

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Hey, what's happening with you guys? I'm just wanting to know if you please explain how complex you think the original gameplay mechanics are in Generation I main series video games Pokémon, Red, Green, Blue and Yellow Versions? Why? And how you think they should be simpler? So here all the gameplay mechanics listed below:

Pokémon Mechanics
Regional & Character Mechanics
Item, Battle & Move Mechanics
Other Gameplay Mechanics
*Once you select this link, this lets you open the pages that lets select multiples links to the others pages that you'll see.

So please let me know once you have replied when you're available, thanks.

P.S.
I have added links to each webpages as cited sources from Serebii.net and Bulbapedia. That's all.

Last edited:
To tell the truth, Pokémon is not that complex (except competitive), with the only thing that can trip people up are the moves' power and accuracy (because you can't check them up in-game), evolution methods (since only Black 2 directly says how to evolve them), the elemental chart (since it's more complex than most other games) and where to catch certain Pokémon like Dratini, and every single one can be solved with a Google search or apps like Datadex. Everything else is simple enough to understand and has been seen in other RPGs.

Oh, I see. Okay, that’s fine then. Oh, and one thing I forgot about. Do you think that evolving a Pokémon into two stages at a time is complex gameplay mechanic? For example, Bulbasaur evolving into Ivysaur, and then into Venusaur, Charmander evolving into Charmeleon, and then into Charizard, Squirtle evolving into Wartortle, and then into Blastoise, and so on.

Some of these are the farthest thing from complex I can imagine.
That's just "you can't find it here, it's in the other game".
These are just characters in a story.
Most games have a mechanic to show how strong or weak a move is.
This is just trading? Unless you mean how to link up the Gameboys, that was kinda complicated.

Oh, I see. Okay, that’s fine then. Oh, and one thing I forgot about. Do you think that evolving a Pokémon into two stages at a time is complex gameplay mechanic? For example, Bulbasaur evolving into Ivysaur, and then into Venusaur, Charmander evolving into Charmeleon, and then into Charizard, Squirtle evolving into Wartortle, and then into Blastoise, and so on.

I really don't see how that could be considered complex... it's as simple as counting to 3, or understanding that books have a beginning, middle, and end.

Combat elements having basic, intermediary, and expert stages or tiers is pretty much an RPG staple.

I think the type chart, breeding, and managing IVs and EVs are really the only aspects of Pokémon that I would consider to be "complex." The type chart because it takes the comparatively simple rock-paper-scissors logic and turns it into an intricate polyhedron of (sometimes nonintuitive or debatable) elemental relationships, especially when you involve dual-typed Pokémon. I'd say breeding is complex because there's not really any sort of guide to it in the game; they don't teach you about egg groups or even display them at all, and then you have the different effects that are introduced by giving the parents certain held items. And I think IVs and EVs sort of go without saying - they've only just recently started to take significant steps in deobfuscating the workings of those mechanics for more casual players (or at least, cutting out a lot of the work required to optimize them).

Last edited:
I meant, my dad thought that three-stage evolutions of Pokémon were complex. You don't think so, do you?

I meant, my dad thought that three-stage evolutions of Pokémon were complex. You don't think so, do you?
The closest thing to complex would be the Gastly, Machop, Abra and Geodude lines, but that is thanks to being trade evolutions (and screwing people with no friends that play Pokémon). The other ones are level or stone-based, which can be discovered by trial and error ("this doesn't evolve with any stones, therefore it evolves via level!")

(Well, Esserise did open up his post saying he didn't think it was complex, so probably not)

What's confusing about it, exactly? We even have an easy comparison in real life for this- caterpillars turn into chrysalises, then butterflies. (Really, it's more simple than real life, since there's often more stages than just three)

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom