• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Games that make you cry?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
I made this thread like 3 years ago but it got buried. Oh well take 2: what games make you cry or feel bad for the characters? For me a big one is shin megami tensei 4, as strange as the law endings are, I can’t help but feel bad for the law reps especially when you take them down in neutral or chaos. In 4 it really hits home when merkabah goes back to johnathon’s voice on the deathbed. Another one for me is dragon quest 11 especially come act 2.

Danganronpa. I grow attached to the characters, then they die, and then i cry.
List of chapters that destroyed me emotionally:
Game 1 Chapter 2
Game 1 Chapter 4
Game 2 Chapter 2
Game 2 Chapter 4
Game 2 Chapter 5
Game 3 Chapter 1
Game 3 Chapter 4
Game 3 Chapter 5

Oh yes, Danganronpa is brutal. I read the English translations for the first two games online way back in 2013 before they were localized and they had me bawling. (And V3 somehow managed to blow them both out of the water. Talk about painful.)

Fire Emblem Three Houses and Xenoblade Chronicles are probably the two biggest offenders. I cried multiple times throughout both games and sobbed during the credits for each. I cried plenty at Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates too (particularly Conquest - my poor Takumi ;_____; ) Super Paper Mario also gets an honorable mention (that ending!!), and also Danganronpa as mentioned above, and as far as Pokemon goes, both Black and White and Sun and Moon really got to me. I am a really big crybaby in general, though, so there are probably other games I'm forgetting about :p

Last edited:
Believe it or not, it's Super Mario Galaxy. Only because of the story that Rosalina reads to the Lumas.

Basically, I'm fine for the beginning of it but as it progresses, it slowly makes me want to sob. The music played during it only makes the feeling of sobbing stronger. I sometimes try to keep it together, but then I sob in secret after the whole story is over.

FE GotHW gen 1 ending is just cruel, and the secret convo Seliph has with his parents in chapter 10 is pretty sad as well.

Soren's and Ike's secret base convo in FE Radiant Dawn certainly got me misty eyed, especially since Soren is my favorite character in the Tellius duology.

Lunafreya's death in FFXV was sadder for me than Aerith's in FFVII (though that's still an emotional scene).

FFX and FF Type-0 are both pretty sad in story, with the latter being super depressing for me.

Michel's life growing up in The House in Fata Morgana, having abusive parents and one of his brother's fiancee bullying and even torturing him after being held prisoner for something he had no control over. (well the whole VN and it's prequel is just sad)

Black Wolves Saga has it's moments that made me feel for some of the characters, though this VN is just heavy with emotions (aside from just sadness) due to it's dark themes in general.

Bad Apple Wars makes me cry in every route.

Ukyo's route in AMNEƧIA, though his good ending is nice so there's that consolation.

Lunafreya's death in FFXV was sadder for me than Aerith's in FFVII (though that's still an emotional scene).
I think part of the reasons Aerith's death is not so sad is due to how it got turned into a meme almost as soon as the game was released. Doesn't help that Square also used it for black comedy (use Aerith when fighting Sephiroth in Dissidia 012 and you'll see).

Final Fantasy VII Remake managed to make me cry a couple of times.

I've also gotten teary eyed letting villagers I liked go in Animal Crossing. Lol.

There was an old Square RPG called "Live a Live" on the SNES/Super Famicom, never released outside Japan I believe, consisting of a bunch of smaller chapters with quite different tones and gameplay based off different genres. A sci-fi horror one, a comedic stone age one, etc.
The ending of the medieval knight story is nasty. I have trouble thinking of many protagonists that get it worse, and the whole thing hits like a freight train quite suddenly considering the rest of the chapters were pretty on script for their genres.

The Suikoden series is also great as making you feel terrible for the characters. Being a Suikoden protagonist sucks.

FE GotHW gen 1 ending is just cruel,
I wish I'd played the game for the first time without having known about it--it would have been a wild ride--but by the time I played Genealogy just about everything about it was common knowledge in the FE online fanbase.

I think part of the reasons Aerith's death is not so sad is due to how it got turned into a meme almost as soon as the game was released. Doesn't help that Square also used it for black comedy (use Aerith when fighting Sephiroth in Dissidia 012 and you'll see).
I knew Aerith died before I knew why it was a big deal. That meme spread fast.

This thread reminded me I definitely cried at that part of Super Mario Galaxy too, and ugh yes letting animals move out in Animal Crossing is heartbreaking to me. It's why I don't do it often lol

AND I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT STARDEW VALLEY!! Oh man some of the heart events are insanely upsetting - Shane's four heart event made me a MESS.

Ace attorney 4-6 have a good couple moments for me, mostly in final cases. And persona 4 golden always manages to make me tear up multiple times, such as the final boss fight where izanami send yu to yomi and all his social links cheer him one last time in the most heartbreaking way possible, then there’s adachi and fox.
There was an old Square RPG called "Live a Live" on the SNES/Super Famicom, never released outside Japan I believe, consisting of a bunch of smaller chapters with quite different tones and gameplay based off different genres. A sci-fi horror one, a comedic stone age one, etc.
The ending of the medieval knight story is nasty. I have trouble thinking of many protagonists that get it worse, and the whole thing hits like a freight train quite suddenly considering the rest of the chapters were pretty on script for their genres.

The Suikoden series is also great as making you feel terrible for the characters. Being a Suikoden protagonist sucks.
I can’t believe I forgot live a live and suikoden! Yeah imagine having your childhood best friend turn slowly more and more unhinged like in 2, or have people around you that you love die at any moment like in 1.

Last edited:
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, and Xenoblade. The former because of the ending (that game was also important to a close friend of mine who strongly identified with one of the main charcaters), the latter because of the event that happens in Chapter 2 which I will not name for spoiler reasons.

A lot, because I get really attached to characters and am kind of an easy crier when it comes to media. Yes, I am a huge baby, but I'll own up to it. These are the ones off the top of my head, but there are no doubt more:

Metal Gear Solid (something about "The Best is Yet to Come" playing during the end just gets me misty-eyed)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (the end flat-out destroyed me, I still can't listen to the MGS3 version of the main theme without feeling sad)
Metal Gear Solid 4 ("Snake... had a hard life"... and also revisiting Shadow Moses while "The Best is Yet to Come" plays and you get flashes from MGS1)
Sonic Adventure (Gamma)
Sonic Adventure 2 (yeah, Shadow's been in a bajillion games since then, but that ending is very well-executed and the music gets me)
Deadly Premonition (the ending)
Final Fantasy X (from practically the moment you see Jecht before fighting Braska's Final Aeon on through to the end, it's like the non-stop sadness)
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (no explanation needed)
Final Fantasy Type-0 (take a wild guess where I would cry on this one lmao)
Final Fantasy IX (Vivi's letter...........)
Final Fantasy XIII-2 (the way Noel says Serah's name at the end, man...)
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Bobbery's letter, and my sisters joke about it, but yes I kind of cried when TEC sacrificed himself)
Hey You! Pikachu (when you have to say goodbye to Pikachu? that's just painful, even if he comes back after the credits)
The Evil Within 2 (for some reason, stuff with Myra toward the end got to me)
Fire Emblem: Three Houses (specifically, Dedue and Ashe's A-support conversation; it's so good, but hits me hard)
Rune Factory 4 (Venti)

Back
Top Bottom