• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Games too outdated by now to enjoy

Nope. I actually tend to have more fun with the older ones, actually. I think because they're offline -- it's just me, enjoying the game in front of me, not thinking about trades or battles or competitive.

Crystal is probably my most-fun to play, though Platinum comes in a very close second. Not that I'm some old fogey -- X and Y are fantastic. There's just a certain feel the older games have that's more fun to play.

I'm actually cool with playing the older games. Outdated as they may be, as I never got to experience them firsthand as a kid, it feels great to be able to sit down and play Gens I and II from time to time. Now...that's because I use an emulator at 3000% speed. Chances are, if I had to sit through that in real time, I'd find the games to be much more of a pain. Playing Emerald, though, can sometimes prove a hassle, too. It just seems to go so slowly sometimes in battle. The Physical/Special split not being there is workable since I know how it works.

So yeah, can't really say I find any games too outdated to even play. Old graphics are charming to me, so they don't bother me in the least.

I enjoy them all, but I've gotten too used to the new system that I keep forgetting what it was like before the physical/special split so the battles feel relatively difficult :/

Doubt that I would ever get used to the pre-Physical/Special split before Gen 4. Sure, it took some getting used to when I initially played Pokémon Y (after a long hiatus from GSC), but at least GF made it so that you can check said moves, and most of the reasons for being assigned Physical/Special make better sense, than when PS was based on type.

I can bear the Gen 2-5 chart, but I would never ever touch the type chart of Gen 1, ever. Even when I went back a gen from GSC to RBY, it was a pain in the neck - thank goodness for GSC.

Using the bicycle in Gen 5 (and I gather earlier) is a bit of a pain too, considering that you can only go straight, and they only have two settings: high-speed vs stationery, and none of the subtlety of the 3DS.

While the later Gens (well, mainly Gens 4-6) have some gorgeous graphics, and I've always loved the idea of the Physical/Special split, the first two Generations still have their benefits:

1. No abilities and natures.
No longer can you just catch a Pokémon out of the wild and have it be good, no you have to either catch a million of the same species or start breeding (neither of which are my idea of fun), because who wants an Adamant Alakazam? The EV limit is just as bad. EV training is tedious, and you usually never know which EVs your Pokémon's getting until its too late. I understand that XY made this stuff a little easier, but I will probably never be a fan.
I so much agree with this, except the abilities part. I hate: natures, EVs and IVs, because natures and IVs are mostly a matter of luck or lack thereof and EVs require grinding. In order to have a good Pokemon, you must have the desired nature, IVs and grind like crazy for EVs. Worst of all, the way you "can" check your EVs and IVs is just stupid... why can't it be shown in numbers somewhere? These things make Pokemon much less enjoyable for me and some may hate me for saying this, but I wish they would remove EVs and IVs or at least the latter.... natures I guess can stay, even though I dislike them. Getting the right one is a chore, but it adds to the variety I guess...
I had been telling myself that I should finish the main story line in Pokemon Pearl so I can transfer my Pokemon through Pokemon Black 2 and then to Pokemon X, but other things get in the way and I kept on just not finishing it. Half my team is under leveled and getting them to the right level range feels like grinding compared to Pokemon X where you can train the whole team. In Pearl, you can train up to two Pokemon at a time. Something is holding me back from finishing it, I had played with it a lot at the end of December, and now I'm getting ready to take on victory road. In Pokemon Black 2, I'm still eager to continue playing it so I can get the legendary Pokemon in game that I can get without the help of events. I got the game used a few months ago.

The pre gen IV games I find it hard to play since they feel like they're out of date compared to the current gen games. If I can ever locate my Pokemon Ruby, I could just turn on the game and see if I ever did catch Groundon. If I did, I would transfer it over to Pokemon Pearl in a heart beat.

Do you have Pokemon Platinum? It's better.

I can't go back to not having the special/physical split. Graphics is a big one too.

I so much agree with this, except the abilities part. I hate: natures, EVs and IVs, because natures and IVs are mostly a matter of luck or lack thereof and EVs require grinding. In order to have a good Pokemon, you must have the desired nature, IVs and grind like crazy for EVs. Worst of all, the way you "can" check your EVs and IVs is just stupid... why can't it be shown in numbers somewhere? These things make Pokemon much less enjoyable for me and some may hate me for saying this, but I wish they would remove EVs and IVs or at least the latter.... natures I guess can stay, even though I dislike them. Getting the right one is a chore, but it adds to the variety I guess...
I had been telling myself that I should finish the main story line in Pokemon Pearl so I can transfer my Pokemon through Pokemon Black 2 and then to Pokemon X, but other things get in the way and I kept on just not finishing it. Half my team is under leveled and getting them to the right level range feels like grinding compared to Pokemon X where you can train the whole team. In Pearl, you can train up to two Pokemon at a time. Something is holding me back from finishing it, I had played with it a lot at the end of December, and now I'm getting ready to take on victory road. In Pokemon Black 2, I'm still eager to continue playing it so I can get the legendary Pokemon in game that I can get without the help of events. I got the game used a few months ago.

The pre gen IV games I find it hard to play since they feel like they're out of date compared to the current gen games. If I can ever locate my Pokemon Ruby, I could just turn on the game and see if I ever did catch Groundon. If I did, I would transfer it over to Pokemon Pearl in a heart beat.

Do you have Pokemon Platinum? It's better.

I have Pokemon Platinum, I got it used the same time I got Pokemon Black 2.

Meh, it's on and off for me, depending on the game. While some old games, like my ever-favorite Breath of Fire III, never get old, no matter how advance other games can be, some, like certain Pokemon games, can make things tricky. Gen V is probably the easiest for me to adjust to, as it's recent enough for me to still play it without much of a problem. However some can take a bit to readjust to. Like, recently I unearthed my old Pokemon Colosseum, and it took about 15 minutes to recall how Gen III worked, especially since this game was made before the Physical/Special split. The thing that really irks me about older gens is the TM situation. I bless Gen V for starting the trend of unbreakable TMs, as that made customizing your team very easy. Gen III and IV didn't have that luxury, so you really have to be very careful, as one bad idea and, boom, bye-bye TM. So while Gen V is easy enough for me, Gens III and IV are not so much.

Red and Blue are fun to play simply because they are the first games, IMO. I can't stand playing GSC, though, because of the remakes. Even though Gen 1 got remakes, it gets along with the gimmick of being first. Independently, Red and Blue suck, however. And I'm not seeing the problem with Hoenn; apart from the physical/split, I think it aged well, especially compared to most Pokemon games.

I find playing the Gen I games extremely tedious nowadays. Not only are they horribly unbalanced, glitchy and outdated, but I played them so much back in the day that I have everything about them memorized. It's just not fun anymore.

It's kind of hard to play Generation I and II games now. It's just hard to think about going back to them, I remember how terrible the box system was... Also, my GBA SP broke years ago so I no longer have the ability to play Gameboy/Gameboy Color games with a lit screen. >.<

Nope.

Sure it might bother me a little, but it bothers me just as much as some of the changes they made to the systems. Like, attacking thin air or walking through mud.

I definitely agree with the OP about Gen 4's graphics being a little jarring after gens 5 and 6. The biggest thing for me as well is the static battle sprites, but other things like the lack of dynamic camera angles, ability activation notifications, and weather icons are a little off-putting.

As for Gens 3 and earlier, I expect them to be old, so it's not as unusual. However, the lack of physical/special there is pretty annoying when I play the emerald battle frontier.

Although I do find a few things about the older gens annoying, like single use TMs and certain types having poor representation and movepools, I don't find any of them to be too outdated for me to enjoy. The only old gen I legitimately dislike is gen 4, but that's mostly because I dislike how slowly the games run compared to other gens. That being said, I do still enjoy seeing the older games get updates, since new mechanics and new moves add a lot to the experience.

Yeah, games before Gen IV have become somewhat difficult for me to play. I forget the many changes in the movepools, there's no such thing as reusable TM's, and the weird physical-special classifications in Gen III don't make sense in my head now. I didn't really care about physical-special when I was still a noob, probably for the same reason that I never noticed a difference in STAB moves and regular ones.

Also, weather in all games before Gen V. So. Freakin'. Annoying. It tells you every single end of the move that it's raining, or there's a sandstorm, or whatever. Probably doesn't make a huge difference, but annoying all the same.

Anything from I and II bugs me because of the terrible box system and lack of full colour. I have five games on the go at the moment: LG, Ruby, Plat, W and my friend's B2. switching from gen to gen is fun for me, not annoying. A stroke of good fortune found me with a used Plat cart with multiple TMs obtained by cheating. Shame the azure flute on there was a key item and couldn't be held.

I don't think I could ever get tired of playing Crystal. I personally find the Gen II to be the most beautiful generation, and when you add that to the nostalgia I have for Crystal specifically it just makes replaying that game always enjoyable. The same can be said for Emerald, but it's not as strong for this game compared to Crystal.

I have a very difficult time playing Gen IV games, however. There's just something about the look of those games that's really throwing me off, especially Pokémon battles. Battle screens seem so cluttered in this generation, and I don't really like the feel of it now. Gen I games are also kinda difficult to play, but not as much because I play Gen I and Gen II similarly in terms of team-building and stuff, so my love for Crystal kinda trickles down to that gen.

Obviously Gen V is still recent enough for me to enjoy it, but we'll see what happens down the road.

I do find that gen I is very hard to play for me now due to how primitive it is compared to other games, I just find it really slow, ugly and honestly really boring outside of abusing glitches. Gen II is a lot better since it introduced many things in newer Pokemon but its still a bit hard to play because of its slow speed and such.

After that I find I can really enjoy any games besides D/P (due to being slow as molasses) once I get used to them.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom