• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Games too outdated by now to enjoy

2. Pokédex is way easier to complete. While Wi-Fi is a definite upgrade over link cables, on the other hand, there were only 251 Pokémon max by the end of the 8-bit era. And, only two of those were event Legendaries, both of which could be obtained by exploiting glitches. Suffice to say, there's a reason why "Gotta catch 'em all!" was dropped after Generation 2.

Sorry to say this but I totally disagree. The question in the earlier Gens is not how few the Pokemon are obtainable, but rather, how are you going to obtain them. Gens 1 to 3 is the gen where it is almost impossible to complete the Pokedex unless you cheated or attend events to get Mew, Celebi and Jirachi(to name few). And as you said, the poor connectivity during these Gens that requires link cable made it almost impossible to complete the Pokedex.

As of now, I have the copies of every game in PC. FRLGRSE and X/Y are the only surviving cartridge that I have right now. Everytime I play every game is the opportunity to refresh every stories that we have enjoyed.

Obviously, I can't convince everyone to like the earlier Gens, and nobody has to play them if they don't want to, but they still have their advantages.

I think no one needs convincing. Because most of us loves earlier gens.

I'm currently replaying Generation 3 for... reasons... before ORAS comes out. And I can't stand it. Although that might just be because every fan-game and rom hack is made using the Gen. 3 engine and over exposure to it has sickened it for me?

Either way, the Kanto remakes and Hoenn originals are definitely not fun to play anymore. Gens 4/5 are ok, although the lack of fairies is palpable. Gen. 6 is the best to play at this point. Especially with ORAS.

The part I like the least about older Gens is actually the non-permanent TM's I'm so used to using them now, that it is pretty weird losing them after using them

I can usually play any games from Gen III and up, although Gen IV is often hard to play given how slow it feels in comparison to the others.

I can enjoy pretty much any older Pokemon game (and I usually play one or two per year), but I absolutely cannot stand playing through Diamond/Pearl...it's just so slow it's ridiculous.
Also, I really start to miss reusable TMs if I play Gen 1-4.

I've only had this phenomenon with Gen I and II until X and Y came along.

but, after XY introduced incredibly fast saving and continued the evolution of pokemon box management, I've found going back to older games (Gen IV and V particularly) difficult, and I'll still play Gen III for nostalgia but...eh.

Course, it doesn't help that I also have a complete living dex in the Bank now. Before, I could have the excuse to play the old games to get the missing pokemon from my living dex.

So yes, they are pretty outdated now. Graphically, engine-wise, and mechanically. I don't even transfer up old teams any more because I can breed superior ones.

I can handle Gen IV-VI easy, I'm doing my last playthrough in Gen III, as Red in FireRed Version. It's sad to be dropping the generation that started it all for me, with my first three games being Ruby, LeafGreen, then Emerald, and eventually getting every game released since Gen II. I've recently gotten caught up in Gen IV, and am gonna playthrough HeartGold and Platinum once more.

Gen IV is the only one that feels really has not aged well with me. That is mainly due to the speed and I didn't really like Sinnoh much. I felt that it just felt jarring and kind of bland. It is like the it is not new but not old. The older games are so much playable while the newer ones have a lot of streamlined stuff that make it easier but Gen IV especially DP don't really have any of those.

Gen 3 really has started to annoy me recently with how it's aged. The remakes are definitely welcome for me. Even FR and LG have aged a bit.

I still love gens 1 & 2, but dayum, i just can't get over how bad things were back then.

1. No special att/def split. About a thousand glitches (attacks and type-match ups in particular). No colour. No hold items.
2. Text-based bad box system. Generic overworld sprites. Batteries running dry. Limited colour.

Gen 3 is still pretty good for me, but the lack of phys/spec split and the buildings that aren't cel-shaded really stand out. I think the worst thing is not being able to run indoors feels tedious. I still enjoy it a lot though, and with Ruby, LG and Colo linking to each other i can get alot out of them.

Last edited:
In anticipation of ORAS, I restarted FRLG and HGSS. FRLG felt really dated but I bared with it and was still enjoying it.

To be honest, once any remake is released, I never touch the originals ever again.

I found this to be true with many of the older games, although I will always be a fan, I just can't bring myself to finish a new saved file or previous saved file due to those games being so outdated. It's not just the graphics, it's the moves, typing and just about everything else pertaining to that. For example, I can't seem to get myself to finish Fire Red due to the fact that I cannot stand that waterfall is a special based move and thus quite weak when used by my Gyarados, as we all know from back then, they based the physical and special aspect of moves based off of the type and that limits quite a lot. You can really see the difference in Gengar from those games, it's just not the same, I've gotten to used to the more updated games.

I'll always be a fan of RBY, GSC and FRLG as these were the games I grew up with but I don't see myself finishing my current gameplay or starting anew with any of those games anytime soon, just can't enjoy them like before.

I have recently played Pokémon FireRed and it's still quite enjoyable, but I still wish these games where on the Virtual Console even though Nintendo will likely never do it for odd reasons.

I've never had a problem going back and replaying older games, Pokemon or otherwise. Adapting to "outdated" mechanics takes me around five seconds.

I was digging through my basement this summer and came across my copy of XD. So I'm like okay I remember this and I play and get a pretty cool team. And with the nice graphics I always think- nice graphics must make this a newer game. But I constantly forget that there's no physical special split because it's still Gen 3. Sigh. Makes it all harder trying to use Xatu and Breloom.

I was digging through my basement this summer and came across my copy of XD. So I'm like okay I remember this and I play and get a pretty cool team. And with the nice graphics I always think- nice graphics must make this a newer game. But I constantly forget that there's no physical special split because it's still Gen 3. Sigh. Makes it all harder trying to use Xatu and Breloom.

Ironic that you say that, because XD was the very first game to feature a Physical/Special split of any kind.

Damage-dealing Shadow moves can be either physical or special, despite damage categories being otherwise solely dependent on type at the time. This distinction appears to be based on the types of the moves they are most similar to; for example, Shadow Blast is a physical move because its counterpart is a Flying-type move, which are all physical in Generation III. Other moves would not be categorized separately from type until Generation IV.

Yes, I know some shadow attacks were physical and some special. I did notice that. But I'm talking about how like all dark moves are special and how all flying moves are still physical.

Gen 1 and 2.
I can still play anything after that.
I would still like to play Gen III despite having Omega Ruby, because of two things:
1. Save States! I can play the game just as many times as I want. With ORAS it isn't the same thing, cause I don't think I'll ever be able to sacrifice all I did there.
2. RSE are hackable. Now, I don't mean stuff like "getting a Level 100 Mewtwo and sweeping". No. That's not what I mean. I'm talking about randomizing the game, which is really intersting for me.

I wouldn't say it's not enjoyable anymore, but The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time sure shows its age when you play it again. The limited technology really held the game back in some regards, especially if you've played Twilight Princess (which is basically OoT updated, imo).

It's so flipping hard to play Gen 1-3 without the physical/special split. It's also really annoying to play before permanent TMs but I can handle Gen 4 games.

Right; these are my main issues with the earlier games. Playing Gen III is a struggle for me, although I can at least work around the one-use-TMs in Gen IV. It's somewhat annoying but it can be mitigated at least a little bit by planning ahead.

Natures are even worse.

I definitely agree with this, however. I've been wanting them to scrap Natures for forever.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom