• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Games too outdated by now to enjoy

I was replaying Emerald for a while and I found it really hard to play because of how the levelling system is(Im now too used to the way it changed in Gen 5 and being able to switch the Exp Share on and off) and find myself desperately wishing for the Exp Share to level my team for the Elite 4. I am just so used to the way the games are now, that it's hard to play the older ones in general really and Im so used to the new graphics and all the changes that have been in the new games that the older ones are less enjoyable.

I know what you mean admin-kun. It'd be discriminatory if we say that companies should make games easier. This type of strategy made really game accessible to all ages. I've once said to my sis that it took me 3 months just to find sootopolis city (though i really never cared of the text of the game when i was younger).

I know that Game Freak implemented this strategy to make the game accessible but the company should also think about hardcore "growing -old" Pokémon fans...

Gen 1, and for ONE REASON ONLY: Move Pools/Sets. I can't use more than half of the Pokemon because they don't learn anything that can pack a punch without relying on TMs. GSC improved on this a bit, so it made a bunch of Gen 1 Pokemon more viable for me.

I would have to say anything that's older than Gen 4. I'm replaying Platinum right now, and even though it's wierd to go from Gen 6 games back to Gen 4, I'm still finding myself enjoying Platinum like it's a brand-new game. It helps especially if you use certain Pokemon that you've never used or even dreamed of using before. The only Gen 3 games that I can think of that I could easily see myself playing still is Colosseum and XD. If we didn't get our R/S remakes, I wouldn't have any problems going back to Emerald.

I wouldn't say they're not enjoyable but I think anything prior to Platinum would be 'outdated' now, mechanics and speed wise.

I could still pick up and play any of the games, but it might take a little while to get back into the swing of that gen's mechanics again. Sometimes it's just nice to go and look back at how the series has grew and developed over the years.

Anything pre-gen 6 because wifi has gone down and events are no longer available without cheating.

Have you ever encountered this feeling of wanting to start a new or continue your playthrough of some of the older Pokemon games, but then realized that some "x, y and z" elements aren't up to par anymore, being too outdated compared to the newer games and found that to be a problem, preventing you from touching the older games again?

Like this may sound crazy, but the last time I played Heartgold was just 3 months ago. I love everything about it and not simply because of nostalgia, but after playing Gen V lately, I've gotten used to moving sprites so much that seeing the static ones pre-gen V. is simply... uneasy.
Same for Platinum, I want to remind myself of what the Sinnoh fuss was all about, but I simply wish it had some of the newer features and improvements.

Which gens do you find hard to play now?

i can see that you're clingled to new generation. if i know, you couldn't bind the bicycle to select button before in gen i so that was really boring..

Ignoring PBR and the lack of an arena battler for gens 3, 5 and 6: Gens 3 and 6

I love the over world in gen 3 better than Gen 4 and I liked abilities and new moves etc, but the sprites look so bad compared to 4 and 5 and it will always be the gen that introduced the new EV mechanics and natures which still irritate me to this day. Overall, I liked the gen 1 and 2 engines better, gen 1 may have had a lot of issues, but its also unique with some interesting strategies.

Mechanics and downgraded battle graphics aside, I like FrLG and Emerald for the RPG modes. Can't say the same for Colosseum and XD though, I've never been a fan of how shallow the RPGs in those were and when I decided to do a Colosseum playthrough a month ago I quickly noticed the visuals and animations really didn't stand to the test of time like Stadium and Stadium 2. I was quick to put down my Colosseum playthrough as the battles were just so ugh. Music was great though.

As for gen 6: mega evolutions.

If gen 7 revived the gen 2 EVs, with gen 4's special/physical move fix and the fairy type and got a Stadium 3 and removed mega evolutions (or at least banned them from online with strangers and competitive play), everything would be perfect.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't find ANY gens outdated. I wasn't even born when RBY was out, so it is quite the wonder in my eyes. Likewise, Crystal shares a birth year with me (2001), so it is also interesting in its own right. Mostly now, its fun to compare ORAS to the original RS as well. Gen 4 is still fantastic, as well.

The only thing I can't stand is non-permanent TMs. Seriously, who thought of that idea to begin with?

For me, I don't have any real interest in playing anything Gen 4 or Gen 5 anymore. Gen 1 and 2 are still kinda fun every once in a while for the old nostalgia factor, and the simplicity.

The only thing I can't stand is non-permanent TMs. Seriously, who thought of that idea to begin with?

I'm going to make myself sound old here, but back in my day the idea to keep a TM after use was unheard of. It really made you plan your teams and think long and hard before using a TM.

Back on topic, I think that it is really hard to play Gen 4 games. I never got into the games from that Gen. I can play Gen 1-2 games without too much difficulty because of nostalgia.

I'm going to make myself sound old here, but back in my day the idea to keep a TM after use was unheard of. It really made you plan your teams and think long and hard before using a TM.

Back on topic, I think that it is really hard to play Gen 4 games. I never got into the games from that Gen. I can play Gen 1-2 games without too much difficulty because of nostalgia.

I think everyone that played before Gen V, including myself, was exactly the same. It's just in hindsight.

Today, the 1st 3 gens are like atari games compared to gen 4 and up, most non water and normal types had movepools consisting of normal, stab and maybe fighting, no physical/special split, smaller pokedexes, no online features etc. etc...

The graphics aren't what I care about, nor the sound quality. I might still go back to them, but I'd take the ds titles over the GB/GBA era games any day.

None. I still prefer Gen One, and hold it to be the best. I have a hard time getting into the newer games because I enjoy the older graphics, the slightly off-looking sprites and the glitches. Gen One was my childhood. These newer generations are someone else's childhood and I hope they find as much enjoyment from them as I did with Gen One.

I absolutely adore Gen IV, but God they've aged so badly. The battling speed is so slow, with all those pauses between stuff happening and health creeping down at a snail's pace. Other than that, gen I mainly exists for speed gaming purposes now, since it's been completely eclipsed. Gen II shows some serious flaws in its level design and general lack of Nintendo-level polish. And we shall not speak about the levelling curves of either...

I don't think any of them are 'too outdated' to enjoy. Part of the charm of the older gens is that nostalgic factor, dipping into the past a bit and seeing how far the series has come. Gen I/II for nostalgia hold the most nostalgia for me. I do recall several years ago not long before HG/SS were released, getting out my old Game Boy Color and Pokemon Silver and playing through until I had around seven badges. It was a truly delightful experience. Frustrating as GBCs don't have the backlighting to the screens, but still enjoyable.

Putting the nostalgia factors aside, I find it hard to go back to anything pre Gen VI. This gen has produced some amazing things that I'd just rather not play without.

The oldest Pokemon game I own is Crystal and I have no issue playing older generations. All though, I haven't spend a lot of time with a Pokemon game past Gen IV so I don't really have a choice. I only own Crystal, Ruby, FR, LG, P, Platinum and SS so. I have played the new generations and their fun as well, just really wish I could afford a 3DS and play X, Y and ORAS. I don't even have the cash to afford Black and White lol. Firered holds a special place in my heart as it was the very first game I owned, not just my first Pokemon game, my first game period. Got it for my sixth birthday along with my GBA. Firered is still the de facto game I play whenever I have the urge to play, in face my SP (along with FR in it) is always in my pocket. It even is right now :p

I'm going to have to redact most of what I said in my previous post. While I am not a fan of the link cable and I am glad it's a thing of the past, I guess in hindsight you can still enjoy Generations I-III because they lack online features and therefore have a timeless and nostalgic charm, but Generations IV and V are a bit more difficult to enjoy because there are so many features that cannot be accessed anymore with the closing of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. While I love Black and White, the fact that the online extras were a big part of the game really doesn't help its replay value. Don't like your C-Gear skin? Too bad! Your stuck with whatever you have! Want Dream World Pokemon that were exclusive to it and cannot be found in X, Y, or ORAS? Sorry! The Dream World has been disconnected.

I'm going to have to redact most of what I said in my previous post. While I am not a fan of the link cable and I am glad it's a thing of the past, I guess in hindsight you can still enjoy Generations I-III because they lack online features and therefore have a timeless and nostalgic charm, but Generations IV and V are a bit more difficult to enjoy because there are so many features that cannot be accessed anymore with the closing of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. While I love Black and White, the fact that the online extras were a big part of the game really doesn't help its replay value. Don't like your C-Gear skin? Too bad! Your stuck with whatever you have! Want Dream World Pokemon that were exclusive to it and cannot be found in X, Y, or ORAS? Sorry! The Dream World has been disconnected.
Link cables were great, no mixups over who sets up and who joins and they're very easy to aquire/make yourself.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom