• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Games you want to see remade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitro Indigo

Small ripples lead to big waves.
Reaction score
Is there an enjoyably flawed game you'd like to see improved? Is there a game you think is a bit archaic and needs an update for a modern audience? Is there a game full of cut content that could be added back in? Are there any other reasons you think a game should be remade?

My list is, in chronological order...

Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil
This was supposed to get a Wiimake back in the day, but the Wiimake of Door to Phantomile flopped and Klonoa died. Sort of. We're getting a movie in the near future, which might revive interest in Klonoa.
Besides the obvious technical upgrades, the thing I'd like to see improved upon the most is the rather awkward script, a product of dated localisation. Oh, and an English cover of Stepping Wind by Eric Stitt would be the funniest thing ever.
As for what console it should be on? The Wiimake of Door to Phantomile was on the Wii because it went well with the idea of Klonoa: it's something that both kids and adults can enjoy in different ways. Knowing this, I would like to see this hypothetical remake on the Nintendo Switch, though having it be a multi-platform game that's also on the PS4 would be nice too. (I've heard that Xbox systems don't sell well in Japan.)

Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly
Long story short, this game was developed in seven months, had a lot of cut content, and became "the Sonic '06 of Spyro"... despite coming first. A hypothetical remake could add back in all the cut content, and then some more.
This remake could be on the current three major home consoles, because Spyro is owned by Activision now and that's what Activision does.

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
This game feels unfinished. The environments all look the same, the colour palette is dull, and most of the music is repetitive and used over and over again. (Seriously, why is all of the good music right at the end?) Despite this, I still love this game for its feeling of a group of unlikely friends travelling a vast ocean full of mysteries. While I tolerated the Temple of the Ocean King, most people didn't, so that could be improved too. Maybe by not having puzzles reset when you leave?
The 3DS is still going strong, so maybe this hypothetical remake could go on that.

I've recently been imagining making a video where I discuss games I want to see remakes of, though at the moment it's just an idea.

Personally I'd like to see Sonic '06 re-done. It's definitely got potential, the story is strong, and concepts like Silver's telekinesis are conceptually great and actually fun to play. There's a great game in there, it's just buried under a mess of bugs and glitches. Really it's just a matter of cleaning out all the bugs, smoothing out the controls (because Sonic's mach speed sections are god-awful), and just making the game look clean as opposed to the mess it was released as. Also (and I can't stress this enough) don't rush yourself and release an obviously unfinished game!
And honestly the Elise thing really doesn't bug me too much.

I concur on the Klonoa 2 mention. I've played the original Klonoa (as in the Playstation version, not the Wii), and I liked it. It's surprisingly very engaging even though it's a basic platformer, so I would like to see Klonoa get a new lease of life.

I am not very much into remaking older games, unless they are going to give it more features that would qualify it as a sequel. However, I would like to see a Wario's Wood remake that combines the features of the NES and SNES versions, and if possible, rebrand it as a Toad game because the playable character is Toad (not Wario).

Thank you for reading.

First off:
-Super Mario 64
-Zelda OoT
-Zelda MM
-Star Fox 64

I know they've already been remade, but they were for handheld consoles when there was better available, or they were incomplete/flawed in some ways compared to the originals.

They could definitely get the HD treatment with the Switch, get the extra content of their remakes plus more, and fix whatever flaws their remakes had, and more improvements.

At first I was considering if the Mother series should be remade, but then I decided against it. They're already done very well, and, at least in my opinion, have aged very well.

The original Sonic the Hedgehog, though, not so much. Can't even spin-dash, and Super Sonic does not yet exist. The soundtrack is amazing, though, and the zones are all very well done. They just need to add at least the spin-dash.

@Maniacal Engineer There are plenty of remakes of Sonic 1. Tried the iOS version?
None of the ones I have seen are what I was looking for, though I admit I've never played the iOS version.

This is the closest I've found to what I'm looking for.

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=j1K83d0cgpo

It gives Sonic his spin-dash, which was sorely missing in the original, but it also gives the elemental shields, utterly breaking Marble Zone and Labyrinth Zone. Also it changes the soundtrack.
I enjoyed Sonic 1 for both the difficulty of some of its levels and how you actually had to go slower paced and solve puzzles or do platforming in some of the levels.

With the Fire Shield, you literally just walk through Marble Zone and with the Bubble Shield, you never have to worry about breathijg in Labyrinth Zone. The difference between these levels and levels like Hydrocity, Lava Reef, etc from S3K is that those levels were, at least sort of, designed with the "game breaking" concept of the elemental shields in mind. Marble Zone and Labyrinth Zone were not.

I will fully admit to being particularly picky on this one.

The PS2 Castlevania games (Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness) would be neat to see remade. They held up pretty decently in my opinion, but maybe having some extra cutscenes, more enemy variety, better graphics, and actually mixing up some of the monotony of the map (not so many bland, long corridors) would make these games stand up better to their 2D "Metroidvania" counterparts. Especially in Lament's case, it was very clearly an early PS2 title so it could do with some modern-day sprucing up. Plus I love Lament of Innocence so I'd just like to be able to play it again with a fresh coat of paint.

Final Fantasy VIII would probably do well with a remake too. It tried to look realistic graphically, but the PS1 blurry and pixelated nature of it hasn't held up very well. Imagine if VIII could look like XV... it'd be stunning. It's also pretty divisive for its junction/draw/GF system, so I'd like to see how Square-Enix would approach it. Would they leave it as is? Would it get tweaked somehow to make drawing magic and avoiding killing enemies (as opposed to turning them into cards) less tedious? Would they scrap it altogether and make a new system, or one more traditional? personally, I'd prefer the latter
Personally I'd like to see Sonic '06 re-done. It's definitely got potential, the story is strong, and concepts like Silver's telekinesis are conceptually great and actually fun to play. There's a great game in there, it's just buried under a mess of bugs and glitches. Really it's just a matter of cleaning out all the bugs, smoothing out the controls (because Sonic's mach speed sections are god-awful), and just making the game look clean as opposed to the mess it was released as. Also (and I can't stress this enough) don't rush yourself and release an obviously unfinished game!
And honestly the Elise thing really doesn't bug me too much.
I don't know if I've ever agreed with one post so much as I do this one. Seeing Sonic 06 get a proper release not messed up by rushed release dates and the dev team being split up has been something I've wanted for years. It really has all the pieces to be a great successor to the Adventure titles if given the chance again. And all the cut content like day/night cycles, a good multiplayer (quiz mode!!!), the ability to unlock songs from previous games ala Generations, more stuff for the amigo characters... I would kill for that to all be restored along with fixing up the unfinished nature of the gameplay. Oh, and cutting down the load times please.

Like, legitimately remade? No remastered ports? No lazy remakes? Yes, please.

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask come to mind. The remakes on the 3DS look and play 100% like remastered ports. Those two games deserve so much better. Twilight Princess, too, someday.

Otherwise, I wouldn't mind seeing Paper Mario 64 and Golden Sun seeing remakes - if not only to revive these series. The problem with Paper Mario is that they've ruined the series and might ruin a remake as well, so... I don't know.

I know it's slightly obvious but, Pokemon Diamond And Pearl. Mostly because everyone else has gotten their nostalgia trips, so now it's my freakin' turn. Preferably with Platinum level quality, stuff like the Battle Frontier (I'm sick of these F*CKING Battle Tower clones), and finding Giratina in the Distortion World (man could they have some fun with that with Gen VII level graphics).

Please could you elaborate?

How?

I played through all of Ocarina of Time 3D and the game played exactly the same as Ocarina of Time original, physics/animations etc. It all felt identical. The graphics are done to look almost exactly like the original N64 version with added Twilight Princess-like textures and little details with the exception of some improved models, like Links. Even some of the remade character models looked really blocky. Oh, and they didn't even remake the OST.

I've been so spoiled by Pokemon remakes. I thought remakes were really supposed to reimagine and reinvigorate a game. I was so disappointed to see they didn't do anything with OOT. It was so sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom