• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Games you've beaten in 2023

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Seems like kind of a yearly tradition in The Arcade at this point. List all the games you've beaten this past year in this thread!

Here's what I've beaten this year, in order. (Spoilering because there's a LOT of games)

• Crisis Core - Final Fantasy VII REunion (PS5, January)
  • Luigi's Mansion (3DS, January)
  • Hades (Switch, February)
  • It Takes Two (PS4, February)
  • Pokemon Snap (N64 NSO, February)
  • Pokemon Colosseum (Replay) (GCN, March)
  • Fire Emblem Engage (Switch, March)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed (Switch, May)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch, May)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch, June)
  • Monster Hunter Rise (Switch, July)
  • Paper Mario (N64 NSO, July)
  • Metroid Prime Remastered (Switch, July)
  • Pokemon Scarlet: The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero Part 1 (Switch, September)
  • Persona 5 Royal (PS4, September)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (Switch, September)
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Blue Lions) (Switch, September)
  • Eastward (Switch, October)
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4, October)
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch, November)
  • Fire Emblem (GBA NSO, November)
  • Portal (Switch, November)
  • INSIDE (Switch, November)
  • Depixtion (Switch, November)
  • Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch, November)
  • Super Mario RPG (Switch, November)
  • Donkey Kong Country (SNES NSO, December)

Out of all of these, the standouts for me personally were Super Mario Bros Wonder, Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed, and Persona 5 Royal.

This isn't the most games I've beaten in a year, but it's definitely close! Lots of great stuff game out this year, and I also got through a decent chunk of my backlog that I've bean meaning to get to for a while now. I'll do a more detailed breakdown at some point, but for the time being:

Game of the Year: Lies of P
Best Indie of 2023: Cassette Beasts (Dredge runner-up)
Best AAA of 2023: Super Mario RPG (Super Mario Bros. Wonder runner-up)
Best Indie of Prior Years: Melatonin (Death's Door runner-up)
Best AAA of Prior Years: Pokemon White 2 (oops I didn't play enough to have a runner-up)

The current list, though I'll almost certainly beat more in the next couple weeks:
  • A Short Hike* (1/1, Switch, 2019)
  • A Noble Circle (1/27, Mobile, 2015)
  • Pokémon Scarlet (1/29, Switch, 2022)
  • Melatonin (2/26, Switch, 2022)
  • Death’s Door (3/30, Switch, 2021)
  • Toree 3D (3/30, Switch, 2021)
  • DREDGE (4/10, Switch, 2023)
  • Rhythm Doctor (5/30, PC, 2021)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (6/3, Switch, 2023)
  • We <3 Katamari REROLL + Royal Reverie (6/12, Switch, 2023)
  • Trouble Juice (7/6, PC, 2023)
  • Peggle Nights (7/15, PC, 2008)
  • Spring Falls (8/1, PC, 2019)
  • Super Mario Bros. 3 (8/26, Switch, 1990)
  • Cassette Beasts (9/2, Xbox, 2023)
  • Starfield (9/9, Xbox, 2023)
  • Trombone Champ (9/15, Switch, 2022)
  • Gordy and the Monster Moon (10/17, PC, 2023)
  • Mosa Lina (10/18, PC, 2023)
  • Pokémon White 2 (10/19, DS, 2012)
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder (10/21, Switch, 2023)
  • Lies of P (11/1, Xbox, 2023)
  • Jusant (11/2, Xbox, 2023)
  • Pikuniku (11/12, Xbox, 2019)
  • Super Mario RPG (11/28, Switch, 2023)

All right, here we go!

Pokemon Violet: This just barely missed being my last beaten game of 2022; I ended up finishing it on New Year's Day. While Scarlet and Violet have received a lot of criticism and I do agree with some of that criticism, this was still a really fun game that I enjoyed a lot. I wasn't crazy about the open world aspect at first, but I got used to it and even though I wish there was a bit more to do than just ride around in wide empty spaces, I still had fun. The characters were great and lovable (if there's one thing modern day Pokemon games haven't been missing, it's great characters) - Arven in particular stole my heart, but I also really loved Nemona, the gym leaders and teachers, and Carmine if we're counting the DLC. idk I just always love Pokemon games no matter what, and even though I'm pretty sure I'll never love another Pokemon game as much as I loved Black and White, I still continue to enjoy the newer games and Violet was no exception.

Persona 4 Golden: After playing Persona 5 Royal for the first time last year and absolutely adoring it, I was excited to play both this and Persona 3 Portable when they landed on the Switch. While this wound up being my personal least favorite of the three - I think it had the weakest story and characters, honestly - I still enjoyed it quite a bit. I really liked the small town setting - it was less exciting than Persona 5's city setting, for sure, but it was cozier. Although I didn't get super attached to 4's characters like I did with 5 and 3's, they were all still very likable all the same. And it just felt very old-school JRPG in such a fun way (I know Persona 4 isn't a super old game but you know what I mean). Good stuff.

Persona 3 Portable: Oh my god, Persona 3. What have you done to me. This was...phenomenal. What a beautiful, heartbreaking, touching story. What fantastic characters. Purists will insist you don't get the "full experience" by playing Portable over FES since outside of Tartarus the game is presented in point-and-click mode instead of like a traditional RPG and because it doesn't include The Answer, but honestly none of that bothers me. I really loved the inclusion of the female protagonist in Portable - she wound up having a lot more personality than I expected her to have, and her social links were so good; I don't think I would have enjoyed the male protag's social links nearly as much. Akihiko, Shinjiro and Junpei are already amazing to begin with, but their social links with FeMC just made them stand out even more, something that would be missing without playing her route. But yeah I just loved this one so much. I can't wait for more people to experience this story for the first time when Reload comes out even though I'm still sad FeMC won't be there.

Fire Emblem Engage: Guuuuhhhh I'm a big Fire Emblem fan and this one was just. Not for me. The game itself was fun and I enjoyed playing it, because I just enjoy Fire Emblem's gameplay in general. But outside of that, oh my god what a drag. Such a nothing plot with such bland characters - even the best characters in the game barely registered for me. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come because I can't play another game like this one again.

Master Detective Archives: Rain Code: This was a simultaneously fun and emotional little adventure. I love Danganronpa so I knew I had to play this game too, and while I still prefer Danganronpa overall I had a blast with Rain Code. It felt very Persona 5 mixed with Danganronpa and the combination made for a really fun experience. The characters grew on me more than I was expecting them to and I did unashamedly cry over several of them because they messed with my emotions so much lol. But yeah this was just a fun game and definitely one that I'd recommend to Danganronpa fans.

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games: For those who don't know, The Nonary Games is a bundle containing the first two games of the Zero Escape trilogy: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors and Virtue's Last Reward; 999 has been remastered in this bundle and VLR is a straight port. But yeah. I watched several playthroughs of both of these games on YouTube these past couple of years and loved them, and finally decided I wanted to play them for myself so I bought them on Steam and played them this August. 999 is my favorite; I just love the cast of characters so much and the story was such an emotional gut punch with amazing twists and an incredible ending. I like VLR's story and characters slightly less but they're still really great. The puzzles are fun but really it's the story and characters that drew me into this series and I'm glad I finally played it.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective: You guuuuys why did I not play this game when it originally released. What is wrong with me. This game was so damn good. In true Shu Takumi fashion it was incredibly funny and charming and addictive, and my god does it tug at the heartstrings in the best way possible. The ending had me crying out of sheer joy at how wonderful this game was and how much I loved the characters (I get very attached to fictional characters, as is probably pretty obvious by this post). It's also just really damn fun to play, so if you're an Ace Attorney fan, especially the Phoenix Wright games? Play Ghost Trick.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder: I can't believe it, but they finally did it. They finally made me love 2D Mario again. WOW. What can be said about this game that hasn't been said already? Any game with the "New Super Mario Bros" title attached to it is one that I'll ignore. The ones I did play were not enjoyable to me and I thought I'd never play a 2D Mario game again. Then Wonder was unveiled back in June and my interest was piqued. It actually looked fun, and with cautious optimism I started playing the game the day after it released. I was floored - this game completely exceeded my expectations. Pun absolutely not intended, but this truly was such a wonderful ride - I loved absolutely every second of it. I don't think I've ever smiled so much while playing a video game. Just...pure joy. I'm so glad this game exists.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim: And here we arrive at the most recent game I've completed this year, the one I would consider my personal game of the year. 13 Sentinels is an absolute masterpiece in storytelling, weaving together 13 different (but connected) plotlines of 13 protagonists and ending up with one incredible and extremely satisfying narrative. The RTS battles are also fun and very addictive, but it's the narrative and characters that really make up the meat of this game and what has cemented it as an instant favorite. I had my doubts that any game could seamlessly juggle 13 protagonists and their own storylines without sacrificing any development or screentime for any of them, but this was unfounded - every single protagonist is more or less equally important to the overall plot and are all excellently written; I absolutely adore literally all 13 of them. That's not even getting into the art and music, both of which are absolutely stellar and some of the best I've ever seen and heard in a video game. I truly cannot say enough good things about this game. It is so, so unbelievably good. It took me two weeks to complete and it hasn't been far from my thoughts ever since. What an absolutely underrated gem.

(I'm so sorry for all the words, I just played some really good games this year and couldn't help but gush about them lol)

I played several other games this year, but these are the only ones I've actually beaten.

Melatonin - An indie game that's basically a lo-fi take on Rhythm Heaven with a theming around dreams and such. It was a decent time with lots of great accessibility options at hand. If you're yearning for some more Rhythm Heaven or just want another rhythm game to keep you occupied for 2 hours, I'd recommend checking it out.

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy - technically three seperate games, but screw it, id rather not repeat myself l, so I'm cramping em all here. So this was my first foray into Ace Attorney as series and I was pretty charmed by it. I'll admit the gameplay itself has some flaws, but I fell in love with the characters and story and universe and all that. Some of the cases had me on the edge of my seat and sometimes got completely whiplashed by the outcomes, it was great. Consider me a casual fan of the series so far.

I also technically got the credits roll for the main game of Pokemon Legends Arceus, but I wanna hold of my thoughts til I get around to beating the post game given how there's big impactful stuff there from what I already know.

In terms of these, I think the one the left the biggest impact on me was Ace Attorney. Really excited to experience more of the series

Last edited:
As usual, started more games than I finished... but still ended up with a bigger list than last year.
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (PC)
  • Ib (remake, PC) (100%)
  • Monster Crown (PC)
  • Volcano Princess (PC)
  • Pikmin 1 (Switch port)
  • Pikmin 2 (Switch port)
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
The biggest highlights for me this time were SMBW and Ib, I really adored both. Pikmin 1 and 2 were great too, but I already knew that before they were re-released, lol.
Plus an honorable mention to the games I technically completed last year, but too late for them to be included in my 2022 games list:
  • Pokémon Violet (Switch)
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited (PC) (100%)

Kind of ordered but not really, I don't have solid time placements for some of these so some of them are just winding up where they end up.
  • Superhot: Just barely scrapes past the line between '22 and '23. It's a pretty solid experience. Not something I've ever really felt the urge to go back to though, despite how bite-sized it can be.
  • Slime Rancher: Pretty good! Progression feels a touch strange in hindsight, but maybe it's just outside of my typical wheelhouse. A fun game though, had a good time.
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Shredder's Revenge: Don't actually think I expected to have quite as much fun with this one as I did. A fun little arcade-style Beat-'Em-Up that's a lot of fun to just casually go back to every now and then.
  • Stray: Super good! Fantastic story and a lot of fun to play as well.
  • Grim Fandango: Ok yeah I can see why this game gets so much love. Puzzles can be somewhat obtuse, as games of this nature often like to be, but the story, world, and characters are all simply immaculate. Just a fantastically crafted game start to finish.
  • Dodgeball Academia: "Shonen battle anime but it's set in a school for dodgeball" sure sounded right up my alley, and whaddya know? It was! A wonderfully wacky game that I absolutely loved.
  • Jedi - Fallen Order: Another fun one! The combat was a lot of fun to pull off once you actually understood what it was asking of you, and the themes and development of the story was really good in a way that I don't really think I expected going into it. Good game!
  • Resident Evil 2make: Welp, guess that settles it. I'm a Resident Evil fan now. Played 8, loved it, played 2make, loved it even more, got 4make downloaded to my PS4 waiting for me to pick it up as we speak. I love the atmosphere of the police station so much, and the feeling of everything just having gone horribly wrong in the lab as you pick up the pieces and try to make it out alive. The sewers are also in the game.
  • The Murder of Sonic The Hedgehog: The silly visual novel where Sonic dies released for free on April Fools Day is one of the best Sonic games in years, it's insane. It's just 2 hours of Sonic characters being themselves and that's wonderful.
  • MegaMan Battle Networks 1-6: Guys I'm so normal about Battle Network, I swear. These games are absolutely fantastic in pretty much every respect. I absolutely love the openness to player expression and the depth of its deck-building system. These games are so good y'all, play them.
  • Minecraft Dungeons: It's often kind mindless, but fun in a weird way that honestly held me for longer than I feel like it had any right to. Weird.
  • Sonic Frontiers - The Final Horizon: Yes DLC campaigns count. This was a real cool way to wrap up Frontiers. Story was a little odd, feels like they were kinda struggling for ways to make the other characters relevant necessarily, but they're an absolute blast to play as, and the new final boss is absolutely bangin'. Solid finale.
  • Dragon Ball Kakarot - Bardock Alone Against Fate & The 23rd World Tournament: Bardock was good, it was fun to play through the story of the special, even if the postgame kinda didn't exist. 23rd Tournament was less good imo, the gameplay of the tournament was kind of underbaked and could've done with more playable matches. The postgame was a lot meatier though, so it kinda balances out?
  • Sonic Superstars: Sonic Superstars was a Classic Sonic game. It was decently enjoyable, though nothing special. The bosses absolutely drag the whole experience down though, and the story of the climax is extremely poorly told, to the point where it's honestly hard to figure out what's happening even with the prologue comic/animation. It was fine, but I don't think I'd ever really go back to it over Mania.
Couple others I didn't finish, but that's not why we're here, now is it?

Got quite the list so here we go. In no particular order

• Breath of Fire 3 (twice)
  • Breath of Fire 4
  • MegaMan Battle Network Legacy Collection
  • Legends: Arceus (thrice)
  • Pokemon Scarlet (thrice, sans DLC2)
  • Pokemon Brilliant Diamond (twice)
  • Mega Man Star Force 3: Black Ace
  • Digimon World: Next 0rder (twice)
  • Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth
  • MegaMan Battle Chip Challenge (twice)
  • Monster Rancher 2 DX (twice)
  • Pokemon Sword (thrice)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! The Falsebound Kingdom
  • Blade Strangers

Beaten is a complex word, as there are games that I have played extensively, but that I still wouldn't say I have beaten, like Victoria 3.

That said, my list is more modest than I would like, and it highlights games that, in fact, I was just replaying.

Breath of Fire 2
Digimon World 3
Pokemon Ultra Sun
Pokémon Scarlet: The Teal Mask (Indigo Disk soon, I hope)
Chained Echoes
Final Fantasy VII - REMAKE INTERGRADE

Last edited:
not many, but
  • the great ace attorney duology (runner up for goty)
  • pokemon violet
  • pokemon brilliant diamond (i was late to the party)
  • sf6's rpg mode if that counts
  • fe three hopes
  • omori (my official goty)
  • persona 4 golden (third place)
  • persona 3 portable
  • xenoblade chronicles 3 + future redeemed

• Pokémon Sword (again)
  • Pokémon Violet
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Deltarune Chapters 1/2
  • LEGO City: Undercover
  • Pokemon Violet DLC
  • The LEGO Ninjago Movie the Videogame
  • Pokemon Legends Arceus

My list is so short, I don't think I even need to spoiler it.

-Pokemon Sword (replay)
-Danganronpa 1
-Assassin's Creed Odyssey (replay)

This year has been a "played many games but did not finish" more than ever. I have such a large backlog. And as for the Switch where a lot of them are, I misplaced my charge cable after my trip, so my Switch isn't working right now to catch up. :sadsola:

Mine isn’t near as long as the last few years tbh but will still tag as it’s still decently long

Dragon ball z kakarot (I guess it’s a replay? If you can count moving to PS5 and restarting the game as I was only an hour in as that)
Fire emblem engage
Fire emblem fates: revelation (replay)
Kirby’s return to dreamland deluxe
Lego fortnite (the only reason alongside the rock band styled mode I’m playing that game now)
Mario kart 8 deluxe booster course pass
Mario party 10 (replay)
Pokemon black (replay I started 3 years ago)
Pokemon scarlet (including teal mask, working on indigo disk!)
Street fighter 1 (SF replays start here)
Super street fighter 2 turbo - the grandmaster challenge
Street fighter 2 dash - champion edition
Ultra street fighter 2 - the final challengers
Street fighter alpha 2 gold
Street fighter alpha 3 max
Street fighter 3: 2nd impact - giant attack
Street fighter 3: 3rd strike - fight for the future
Ultra Street fighter 4
Street fighter 5 champion edition (SF replays stop here)
Street fighter 6
The king of fighters 15
Theatrhythm final fantasy: final bar line

As usual my roster was mostly fighting game arcade modes and RPGs.

Caught up a little on my backlog this year, finishing up the RE games I hadn't played yet along with a few other things, like Zero Time Dilemma that I have started and stopped multiple times in the past before FINALLY finishing the game this year:
Fire Emblem Engage
Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII - Reunion -
Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout
Resident Evil 3 (Remake)
Resident Evil 2 (original)
Resident Evil 3 (original)
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil Revelations
Resident Evil 6
Resident Evil 4 (Remake)
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
Sonic Frontiers
Zero Time Dilemma
Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town
Final Fantasy XVI
Paper Mario (replay)

Kind of ordered but not really, I don't have solid time placements for some of these so some of them are just winding up where they end up.
  • Superhot: Just barely scrapes past the line between '22 and '23. It's a pretty solid experience. Not something I've ever really felt the urge to go back to though, despite how bite-sized it can be.
  • Slime Rancher: Pretty good! Progression feels a touch strange in hindsight, but maybe it's just outside of my typical wheelhouse. A fun game though, had a good time.
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Shredder's Revenge: Don't actually think I expected to have quite as much fun with this one as I did. A fun little arcade-style Beat-'Em-Up that's a lot of fun to just casually go back to every now and then.
  • Stray: Super good! Fantastic story and a lot of fun to play as well.
  • Grim Fandango: Ok yeah I can see why this game gets so much love. Puzzles can be somewhat obtuse, as games of this nature often like to be, but the story, world, and characters are all simply immaculate. Just a fantastically crafted game start to finish.
  • Dodgeball Academia: "Shonen battle anime but it's set in a school for dodgeball" sure sounded right up my alley, and whaddya know? It was! A wonderfully wacky game that I absolutely loved.
  • Jedi - Fallen Order: Another fun one! The combat was a lot of fun to pull off once you actually understood what it was asking of you, and the themes and development of the story was really good in a way that I don't really think I expected going into it. Good game!
  • Resident Evil 2make: Welp, guess that settles it. I'm a Resident Evil fan now. Played 8, loved it, played 2make, loved it even more, got 4make downloaded to my PS4 waiting for me to pick it up as we speak. I love the atmosphere of the police station so much, and the feeling of everything just having gone horribly wrong in the lab as you pick up the pieces and try to make it out alive. The sewers are also in the game.
  • The Murder of Sonic The Hedgehog: The silly visual novel where Sonic dies released for free on April Fools Day is one of the best Sonic games in years, it's insane. It's just 2 hours of Sonic characters being themselves and that's wonderful.
  • MegaMan Battle Networks 1-6: Guys I'm so normal about Battle Network, I swear. These games are absolutely fantastic in pretty much every respect. I absolutely love the openness to player expression and the depth of its deck-building system. These games are so good y'all, play them.
  • Minecraft Dungeons: It's often kind mindless, but fun in a weird way that honestly held me for longer than I feel like it had any right to. Weird.
  • Sonic Frontiers - The Final Horizon: Yes DLC campaigns count. This was a real cool way to wrap up Frontiers. Story was a little odd, feels like they were kinda struggling for ways to make the other characters relevant necessarily, but they're an absolute blast to play as, and the new final boss is absolutely bangin'. Solid finale.
  • Dragon Ball Kakarot - Bardock Alone Against Fate & The 23rd World Tournament: Bardock was good, it was fun to play through the story of the special, even if the postgame kinda didn't exist. 23rd Tournament was less good imo, the gameplay of the tournament was kind of underbaked and could've done with more playable matches. The postgame was a lot meatier though, so it kinda balances out?
  • Sonic Superstars: Sonic Superstars was a Classic Sonic game. It was decently enjoyable, though nothing special. The bosses absolutely drag the whole experience down though, and the story of the climax is extremely poorly told, to the point where it's honestly hard to figure out what's happening even with the prologue comic/animation. It was fine, but I don't think I'd ever really go back to it over Mania.
Couple others I didn't finish, but that's not why we're here, now is it?
One last addition to the list right here at the end of 2023 (I wasn't able to get Cyber Sleuth or SLARPG done before New Years):
  • XCOM 2: I just played it on Rookie, but I enjoyed it. I can see why XCOM's developed the reputation it has as a tactical series. I definitely plan to play War of the Chosen on a harder difficulty eventually, but have no set timeframe in which to do so.

Waited until the end of the year, as usual, and time to look back at what I finished in 2023:

Pokémon: Legends Arceus
Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes (replay)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (replay)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - For the 20th Anniversary release; did basically a (at least mostly) no side quest run this time
Pillars of Eternity (finally did a run which I completed, at least the base game)
Torchlight (replay)
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition*
Baldur's Gate II*
Baldur's Gate III (Let's Play series)
Unreal Gold (Base game + Return to Na Pali expansion)
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Diablo (PC)
Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition
NWN2: Storm of Zehir (expansion) (replay)
Icewind Dale (replay)
Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone

*I've been playing the whole classic Baldur's Gate Saga (Enhanced Edition versions) with two online friends since , including all expansion packs, since basically the beginning of the year, with probably about an 85-90% completion, give or take. We're not completely done yet; only very close to the very end. But since I completed the Throne of Bhaal expansion, which concludes the saga, on my own this year, I can count both games as being completed this year.

Besides games I didn't finish, I think this is it. Yeah, only one game released in 2023, and lots of CRPGs this year for me.

Mostly just short or indie games on my end! leeet's see

From Steam:

1) A Short Hike
2) Mail Time
3) Alba A Wildlife Adventure
4) Assemble With Care
5) Witchy Life Story
6) Venba
7) Lemon Cake
8) The Last Campfire
9) Garden Story
10) Fae Farm