• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Gardevoir vs Hatterene

Phosphene

Formerly SpinyShell
Reaction score
282.png
858.png
I've noticed that Gardevoir and Hatterene are somewhat similar. The both have a rather feminine design that share a few similarities (namely dress- and hair-like extensions), have some sort of burst gimmick (Mega Evolution vs Gigantamax), have high Special Attack and Special Defense, have some connection to emotions lore-wise, and are dual Psychic/Fairy types. Despite their similarities, I also feel that they are counterparts to an extent: Gardevoir comes across as a kindhearted Pokemon that will defend its trainer at all costs, while Hatterene will tear you apart if you aren't quiet enough. Basically, Gardevoir is a waifu, Hatterene is a witch. So, that all being said, which do you prefer and why?
282.png
858.png

I see them as counterparts too, and I would include Gothitelle in the group as well. She doesn't have the Fairy type but shares the other similarities. My favorite is Hatterene based on design alone as I never used any of them.

I much prefer Gardevoir, it's a lot more elegant and powerful looking, the previous stages of Hatterene are too weird for me.

Hatenna, abra, gothita and ralts are all small "children" who spam teleport.

Hatterene by a large margin, I used on my main team, I love it's design, it's dex entries are made of bliss(or hell), and it's design inspirations are great, also I really like it's relation with the impidimp line(which is one of my favorite pokemon)

Despite not having used it, I have a connection to Hatterene on a roleplay level. In the Fizzy Bubbles canon, Gigantamax Hatterene helped save the world. That said, I prefer Gardevoir as it is the more benevolent one (and fanart with it and Gallade looks nice).

gah... it's honestly harder to choose than I thought! I like both a lot, and used Hatterene on my story team in Shield. she was quite strong. but while I do like her and the memes associated with her a lot (haha), I think Gardevoir wins out for being so historically useful and elegant.

Gardevoir, without a doubt. While I've come to like Hatterene, I've always loved Gardevoir since Wally used on in Gen 3. It's been my go-to choice for a Psychic (and later Fairy) Mon. I like Hatterene, especially since she has the ever-useful Magic Bounce, but she's way too slow and her dex entries are outright terrifying, while Gardevoir has the more motherly, guardian angel-like nature, which I like a lot. Plus, due to a story series that I had initially planned but scrapped (though it's starting to make a comeback in my brainstorming) the main character's partner is a female Gardevoir (starting from a Ralts) named Lora that eventually gains some special properties (she learns to speak the human language and eventually gains her own version of Bond Phenomenon). So, as a result, Gardevoir is the only Psychic/Fairy for me, though I don't mind Hatterene, either, especially if I'm doing a "new Mon only" run. My vote goes to my ever-lovable Gardevoir.

Hatterene_EpEc.gif

Originally I was confidently going with Hatterene last night when I first posted this, however, this morning I've waned a little. I think I prefer Gardevoir's slightly less feminine design, however, I'm still going to throw my hat(tenna) in the ring for Hatterene.

I quite like Hatterene concept-wise. A powerful psychic witch that tears apart those that anger her with her tentacle sounds really cool and really messed up. While her design is a little too girly for my tastes, it still has several aspects that I like. The primarily blue part of her body (the upper "hair part", face, hat, and tentacle) all have this Eldritch Abomination feel to them and really sell that she is a witch monster. The hat in particular reminds me of a mushroom (I am a fan of mushroom aesthetics), and in fact I kinda headcannon that she is basically a fungus with witch powers. I also like that the actual body of the Pokemon is this small humanoid form, which also adds a bit to the otherworldly, sorta creepy feel. Unfortunately, the pink part of her body (she's a witch--the lower part of her body should've been like a dark purple or brown rather than pastel pink) sorta ruins this in favor of waifu-bait. In my opinion, they should have upped the creepy tentacle-ness and dropped the girlishness for the rest of the design.

Gardevoir because it looks less scary than Hatterene. But I always hated how Gardevoir's earlier sprites showed it without legs.

Hatterene is one of those Pokemon that's complex and simple at the same time. I love its color palette, the way of it's just a dwarf witch covered in hair and how it has a braid representing a broom.

Gardevoir is very pretty and elegant though and has great colors as well, but I prefer the witch a bit more. Both beat Gotithelle by a landslide.

You know I think I'm gonna' say Hatterene. I like Gardevoir a lot, especially the Shiny version of its Mega Evolution, but Hatterene is a lot more conceptually thorough and interesting to me. Also it feels kind of squid-like? Plus its Gigantamax form reminds me of a cross between Baba Yaga and the swampbending dude from Avatar who used vines to create a huge primitive "mech" monster. A reclusive witch creature that uses prehensile hair to disguise its oddly diminutive form with a seductive, curvy illusion (like some witches in folklore) and dwells deep in the forest until someone comes across it and gets struck down with lightning... pretty cool. Honestly, I think it could pass for a Legendary Pokémon. G-Max Hatterene is super imposing.

and in fact I kinda headcannon that she is basically a fungus with witch powers. I also like that the actual body of the Pokemon is this small humanoid form, which also adds a bit to the otherworldly, sorta creepy feel.

I never really thought about that before but you're right. That's pretty cool - personally, I'd probably be more inclined to say that she evolved to somewhat resemble a fungus because of her native forest habitat, but if anything, I think the degree of ambiguity that produces these different interpretations (me thinking it's a bit squid-like, you seeing more of a fungus) is a strength in of itself.

Last edited:
both have absolutely amazing shiny colours... and while i do love the design of both, i've never actually had a hatterene as part of my team, so i've never really gotten a chance to really have any sort of fondness over it vs the many times i've used gardevoir in past games. so i'mma give this to gardevoir, but only by a hair.

I have to choose Gardevoir since they were always my favorite Pokemon ever since I learned they are these guardian angel beings who will risk their own lives to protect you. I love how they are based on knights, guardian angels, and ballerinas. I like how in Pokken Tournament when they fight, they perform dance moves while striking. And of course, I always love their design, like their hair and garments. Hatterene is interesting, but as others pointed out, the Pokedex entries are a bit terrifying. So, my heart is with Gardevoir, my loyal angel!

Gardevoir easily, as Hatterene is just creepy and doesn't have a great design, either.

Gardevoir all the way. It was one of my favourite older Pokemon to later gain the Fairy-type, and was also used on my Alpha Sapphire team. Hatterene's Pokedex entries kinda freak me out and my lack of familiarity with Gen 8 also played a part.

My vote goes to Gardevoir without a doubt, it's my second favorite pokémon after Gengar so there was no competition. But that doesn't mean that I don't like Hatterene, in fact it's the opposite, Hatterene is my favorite Galar pokémon. I have a soft spot for femenine looking pokémon, they're so beautiful :bulbaLove:.

Hatterene! Half because there's always been something funny to me about the "adorable-but-unsettlingly-aggressive creature" archetype, half because I really do like its colorful design. Being a witch, and evolving from the extremely adorable Hatenna helps.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom