• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gary and Iris return

I think's May's chances will be dependent on whether or not her voice actress is healthy enough to perform as her in the Japanese version since her Japanese voice actress stopped performing because of an illness she had. I have also heard conflicting reports on whether or not she has returned to voice acting relatively recently. If she's healthy, May has a definite chance of returning. If not, though, then I don't see may returning in the near future, if at all, especially when there are so many other companions that can make a comeback.

Thanks for the information, it's sad that May's return seems so unlikely. Anyway, I really hope that her voice actress, eventually, has a complete health recovery. Yet, I am very excited for Gary comeback.

Last edited:
Seriously Gary and Iris returning is just awesome. I love how they bundled one of the most iconic characters with one of the more controversial ones. It shows that they're not just bringing back the big names for fanservice, literally anyone has a shot. Wikstrom and Chuck are also examples of this.

I can't wait to see Ash and Gary's dynamic now. They went from friends, to rivals, then were kinda distant. Ash has been through a lot since they last met, even in Journeys alone. He's developed a lot both as a battler (rest of DP+XY) and a person (SM). Meanwhile Gary has been humbled over the years though he's still a competent trainer. Although Gary was friendly with Ash in DP, Ash was still somewhat antagonistic towards him. I think now both boys have matured to a point where they've gotten past their differences, and can have a friendly rivalry. They've both left a mark on each other, and I'm keen to see where it goes from here. He'd make for a great PWC rival, albeit an occasional one.

Iris has a lot of potential too. She was an interesting character in the games, who I feel got robbed of that in the anime. I've wanted to see her return, even though I didn't like her in BW, because of this. She's being given a second chance and I'm all for it. The writers seemed to have learnt their lessons from BW and I think that her characterisation will be way better this time. In fact, I don't even mind that they bring back less popular characters now. Journeys has nailed it with past characters so far. I hope they actually stick to her dragon master theme now though, especially with her new Gible.

I think's May's chances will be dependent on whether or not her voice actress is healthy enough to perform as her in the Japanese version since her Japanese voice actress stopped performing because of an illness she had. I have also heard conflicting reports on whether or not she has returned to voice acting relatively recently. If she's healthy, May has a definite chance of returning. If not, though, then I don't see may returning in the near future, if at all, especially when there are so many other companions that can make a comeback.
I don't think that May will come back, but in terms of Hoenn companions Max still exists and his VA is completely healthy ATM.

I have a few things to say:

1. It somehow just doesn’t seem right that Iris makes a reappearance and Serena doesn’t

2. I agree that seeing a battle between Ash’s Dragonite and Iris’ Dragonite would be interesting especially since the two of them are practically night and day in terms of personalities

3. If Korrina does return it would interesting to see a battle of Lucarios if you know what I mean

4. With the prospect of Iris making a return, I felt the need to look into things and, with his most recent capture in tow, Ash actually has more Dragon-type Pokémon that are currently under his ownership at the number of 4 than Iris does, since she is only currently confirmed to have 3

Gary was kinda expected and it's not something I'm tremendously enthusiastic about. He's like Misty in that sense, I never was too keen on him (as a rival, I feel he's overshadowed by Paul). It's sure to be interesting regardless of my own personal thoughts on the character.

Iris though? I'm genuinely surprised that they're pulling back one of his BW companions and so thrilled that it's happening. I've always seen her Dragonite as the polar opposite to Ash's and now there's the opportunity for them to meet? Or even battle?! That's what I'm talking about!

Despite of the common opinion, I really like my free-natured girl Iris. It sure will be interesting for me to see what she's been up to ever since she departed with Ash. It would be a shame if they exclude Cilan. Gary is also a surprise in a good way.

I love the artstyle of the shots in the opening.

I don't think that May will come back, but in terms of Hoenn companions Max still exists and his VA is completely healthy ATM.

I doubt they'd show Max without May. I get the impression that that would just rub too many older fans the wrong way, since I know there was a vocal group of fans that did not like Max at all during AG's airing; and they would let the newer fans know that May was missing, if they couldn't figure it out already due to her being a female player character. The way I see it, of Norman's kids, you either get both, get May alone, or none.

Considering that the characters practically don't age in the anime, quite the opposite, I think it's hard for Max to appear without May, just as Bonnie is unlikely to appear without Clemont. In my opinion, the protagonists cameo in Pokémon twenty movie corroborates this point of view. And well, I don't think that someone believed that Iris would show out, therefore I do not rule out the possibility of any other protagonist reappear.

Last edited:
I doubt they'd show Max without May. I get the impression that that would just rub too many older fans the wrong way, since I know there was a vocal group of fans that did not like Max at all during AG's airing; and they would let the newer fans know that May was missing, if they couldn't figure it out already due to her being a female player character. The way I see it, of Norman's kids, you either get both, get May alone, or none.
I don't think that they would gatekeep another character because of another character's VA issues. Max's Japanese VA is perfectly fine and healthy, while he would need a new English VA because Jamie Peacock retired. If they want to bring Max back they will, and given May being a traveling trainer as much as Ash himself is, there is a realistic chance that Ash and Gou would run into Max without May around.

I don't think that they would gatekeep another character because of another character's VA issues. Max's Japanese VA is perfectly fine and healthy, while he would need a new English VA because Jamie Peacock retired. If they want to bring Max back they will, and given May being a traveling trainer as much as Ash himself is, there is a realistic chance that Ash and Gou would run into Max without May around.

The question is that is quite probably that the producers don't want or have no interest in bringing Max without May. Apart from that, only there is a realistic chance that Ash and Gou would run into Max without May around if the duo go straight to Petalburg City, because hardly Max will already have become a trainer or something equivalent. However, I can see him show out without May, in this case he appears with his father, Norman.

I think that Gary will be a mentor and coach for a new trainer who will serve as a rival to Ash.

That doesn't make sense. The official twitter account for the series says he will stand once again as a rival.

I think that Gary will be a mentor and coach for a new trainer who will serve as a rival to Ash.

That doesn't make sense. The official twitter account for the series says he will stand once again as a rival.

Like Gary... (or Blue) once said, gathering data for his old man was just a tool to become stronger.

Last edited:
Last episode of AG says otherwise. He can still battle without giving up his research studies.
While he does battle, he does not do so competitively anymore. Making him a competitive battler again will undo all his character development over the past 23 years. I am concerned that they will regress him and turn him back into the arrogant, snarky jerk rival that he was at the beginning of the OS in order to appeal to the nostalgia of the now 30-something year olds who grew up watching the original series.

1. It somehow just doesn’t seem right that Iris makes a reappearance and Serena doesn’t

That's entirely subjective. What makes it not seem "right" that one character gets a reappearance before another? Was it not "right" that Misty and Brock got to appear in Alola and Serena didn't, or that the Alola group and Korrina got to appear in this series and Serena didn't? What exactly makes Serena deserving of appearing before Iris (or anyone else)? I know people think Iris is scum of the earth for some reason and that Serena is a perfect princess who can do no wrong, but that's exactly why this line of thinking is so subjective. I don't think any character "deserves" to reappear before any other character, it is what it is.

Now in my own opinion, I am THRILLED to be seeing Iris and Gary again, because I love them, and I would also love to eventually see May again since she's the Pokegirl we've gone the longest without seeing at this point. And I will be happy to see any returning characters, whoever they may be, because it's always fun to see them again after so long and learn what they've been up to and see their dynamic within the current group. But I just can't stand this notion that these characters' reappearances are somehow unfair to Serena just because she hasn't shown up yet (and tbh it hasn't even been that long since she left the show, so I would have been shocked to see her so soon already).

That's entirely subjective. What makes it not seem "right" that one character gets a reappearance before another? Was it not "right" that Misty and Brock got to appear in Alola and Serena didn't, or that the Alola group and Korrina got to appear in this series and Serena didn't? What exactly makes Serena deserving of appearing before Iris (or anyone else)? I know people think Iris is scum of the earth for some reason and that Serena is a perfect princess who can do no wrong, but that's exactly why this line of thinking is so subjective. I don't think any character "deserves" to reappear before any other character, it is what it is.
I'm pretty sure they're referring to Serena being the only female companion who didn't appear get an appearance during the next series' run (Iris getting a special episode during XY, though it doesn't seem to have been dubbed).

While he does battle, he does not do so competitively anymore. Making him a competitive battler again will undo all his character development over the past 23 years.
That's quite a stretch. Perhaps studying and working closely with Pokemon has reawaked his passion for battling. Perhaps he has used his time away from battling to realize his weaknesses and overcome them. Perhaps, like Ash and Paul, he will use all of his past experiences as a trainer and researcher to his advantage and reach new heights as a battler. That's progression, not regression.

He's still a kid. How many ten-year-olds decide what they want to do for the rest of their lives and stick with it?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom