• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Gary vs. Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcogginsa

Reaction score
ash's 2 greatest rivals go head to head. who wins in a fight? who works better as a rival? who is the better trainer? what pokemon do they use?

Paul by far. They actually had a rivalry going there. Gary was... not so much.

I prefer Gary, but like Dana said, Ash and Paul's rivalry was handled much better.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gary had some very funny and memorable moments, however the Paul rivalry was just more intense. It also had several storylines, like Chimchar's abuse, Paul releasing his Pokemon, Paul defeating Gym leaders like Maylene, Reggie and Brandon, and the epic league match.

Gary also suffered from a lack of appearances. I can't believe Gary hardly appeared in the Johto saga at all.

Paul Paul Paul Paul Paul Paul Paul Paul Paul....

Yeah, Gary was funny and all when he first appeared, but ever since he gave up on becoming a trainer, his personality mellowed out too much for my own liking...

And even before he became a scientist, his severe lack of appearances and inability to prove his competency didn't roll well with me...It didn't feel that satisfying when Ash finally beat him :/

Paul on the other hand was handled perfectly. Their rivalry was intense and shippy all the way through. People WANTED that league battle man...

[sub]Oh...isn't there supposed to be a poll? ._.[/sub]

Paul Paul Paul Paul Paul Paul Paul Paul Paul....

Yeah, Gary was funny and all when he first appeared, but ever since he gave up on becoming a trainer, his personality mellowed out too much for my own liking...

And even before he became a scientist, his severe lack of appearances and inability to prove his competency didn't roll well with me...It didn't feel that satisfying when Ash finally beat him :/

Paul on the other hand was handled perfectly. Their rivalry was intense and shippy all the way through. People WANTED that league battle man...

[sub]Oh...isn't there supposed to be a poll? ._.[/sub]

'oh. i always forget the poll

Paul is an "expy" of a game character. Gary is the full anime version of game character. So full that his name & style surpassed the canon one. Obviously, he made larger influence on modern culture than Paul. He is the most famous rival. He is THE rival. Vote for Gary.

Paul. New Gary is boring, and Paul's methods contradict Ash's, so it's fun.

Paul. I like how he's based on how metagamers (only use the strongest pokémon, release a pokémon if it doesn't have the right IV's, etc.)

Paul all the way. It was nice to have someone as cynical and mean as Paul was in the anime. What's even better is his intense rivalry with Ash. Seriously, one the of the best rivalries on the show that kept me entertained throughout the span of DP. And the League battle. Oh the league battle...!

Gary - He is the original rival and probably had a stronger team in his prime

Paul. Is. Awesome.

First rival who was able to make Ash grow as a trainer as visible in his final Sinnoh team and with whom was the entire rivalry actually believable.

As a Rival, definitely Paul. Gary only turned decent once he became a researcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom