• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Gary VS Silver VS Brenden/May VS Barry VS Cheren VS Belle

The answer is Gary fucking oak.

I like Silver and find him interesting. It's just ironic as hell that he drones on and on about how weak and incompetent you are, when he gets defeated in every encounter.

Gary was a douche, catching 40 pokemon before you even had access to that many. Beating the Elite Four before, always seeing his name on the "winners list" in every gym. Gary/Green was a douche and backed it up quite nicely.

Blue was a douche, so he's the worst. The G/S/C/HG/SS rival was emo through most of the game, so he's almost as bad (at least he had a reason). Wally, Brendan and May were friendly, and fun to battle, so they're way better.
My favourite, though, is definitely the D/P/t Rival. He's an extremely funny character, both in design and personality, and is also quite the formidable opponent.

Haven't played B/W yet, but I'm guessing the B/W Rivals won't surpass the D/P/t Rival no matter what, so there's my vote.

And Wally? He was much more of a rival than Brendan/May, who just quitted in the long run.

But anyway, I vote for Belle. She's one of the most adorable girls in the series, and she wants to prove everyone, especially her father, that she's capable of being a Trainer. Her character is lovely, and her determination is inspiring. She's by far the best.

Wally is a close second, for similar reasons as Belle. He wants to become a Trainer despite his sickness, and he does his best efforts to overcome all his difficulties. RSE sucked in giving him enough spotlight, though the Match Call gives you plenty of insight in his reasoning. He's awesome in every way, though, and it sucks he isn't in the list.

Oh well, I'll be voting Belle. <3

Barry.

His team actually puts up a fight.

This is true as well. Barry is one of the strongest in game trainers out there. His best team IMO is when you go through the game as Turtwig. Infernape replaces the inferior Rapidash. His grass and water types in reserve are the respectable Roserade and Floatzel. If Floatzel had SD he would be deadly.

He always has Heracross, Snorlax and Staraptor who are all very strong.

I like Cheren's personality the most.

Barry. I would have said Brendan/May but there are easy to defeat than the rest. The rest are easy too but these push it bit too far. Barry was funny and decently difficult and the most memorable.

Blue is third though I don't like his personaliity that much. But I hate Silver and haven't played BW.

Silver, in terms of personality, he's the best. He starts as an evil guy, then becomes a true trainer. I loved that.

Blue is the most respectable. He's always a step ahead, and so far, the only rival to become Champion and Gym leader, how cool is that?

Barry is strong and annoying, but still acceptable.

May and Wally? Mediocre, that's it.

I haven't played B/W so I won't talk about them.

I wrote a fanfic about Silver. After that, it's really hard to pick a different rival. Although, there's a webcomic I'm reading that kinda makes me like Belle just a little bit more.

But yes, Silver. For his backstory.

Barry's the most annoying simply because he's everywhere you need to be AND you're not expecting him (and thus aren't ready for a battle). But then you get to smash his pokemon to pieces on a weekly basis once he starts appearing at the Battle Zone Fight Area, so it all evens out.

Gary. He's pretty much what I see in like an average rival. Pretty much balanced in many ways. [/s]NOT TO MENTION HE'S GARY MOTHERFUCKING OAK![/s]

I voted for Gary because he is GARY MOTHERFUCKING OAK! a pretty good trainer. Barry gets close second because he is probably the most challenging.

1: If your going to be talking about game canon, at least stay within game canon. So it's Blue, not Gary.

2: Blue was the best.

Gary/Green was a douche and backed it up quite nicely.

No. Unless you are going to refer to every single character by their Japanese names, you will call the rival from Gen 1 Blue.

I'ma go with Gary. Lovable asshat, and plus, he actually accomplished something (became Champion - yes, I realize this happened with Bel too, but there's no eff-you tension there). I would respect Silver more if his team wasn't a) unbalanced and b) laughably "evil". Brendan and May are kinda disappointing, IMO - you can't name them and you rarely get to battle them. Barry just sort of annoyed me. I can't really comment on Cheren and Bel just yet.

Hm, no Wally? Well, in any case, I find both Cheren and Belle to be intriguing, but what the heck, I voted for Belle.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom