• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen 1 game corner discovery

Kit Chan

Team Galactic Grunt
Reaction score
I'm playing through the bootleg English Green on my stream and I noticed the Game Corner icons are different than in Red and Blue. Instead of a bird, mouse and fish there's Gengar, Clefairy and Voltorb and the 7s are different. I don't know if Japanese Red has these same icons. But if anyone's interested there's something to research. The Gengar and Voltorb are identical to their GSC icons.

Last edited:
I'm playing through the bootleg English Green on my stream and I noticed the Game Corner icons are different than in Red and Blue. Instead of a bird, mouse and fish there's Gengar, Clefairy and Voltorb and the 7s are different. I don't know if Japanese Red has these same icons. But if anyone's interested there's something to research. The Gengar and Voltorb are identical to their GSC icons.
that may just be because you're playing a bootlegged version of the game. unfortunately i don't own a copy of the Japanese Green version (my secret shame) BUT i have Red, Blue and Yellow all in Japanese (they are so cheap and Green is always more expensive lol) so i checked and the slots are all the same as in the English version. i'd find it hard to believe that they made it different in Green than in all three of the other games. :p i'm particularly wary of the fact that you say they match the GSC sprites - seems like a clue that the bootleggers added it in themselves after the fact.

Decided to investigate the matter on the original 1.0 Japanese versions

Red was the same as the international versions, but have a look at blue and green View attachment 97483

I should double check that the English Blue doesn't use those sprites (as the Bulbapedia page only lists the Red sprites for Red and Blue)

Also to note: Green has some different SGB colors like Palet town is Purple like in Yellow while Red and Blue have a light blue Palet town.
Edit: I also noticed the BARs are different too and Green uses the Red cherries while Blue uses the Yellow cherries and Green and Yellow have red icons (barring the Pokemon icons in Yellow) while Red and Blue have orange. (possibly related to green having the same SGB Palet Town color as Yellow.)
Ergo, we could theoretically say Black and White aren't the first game pair to have aesthetic differences but they are the first with notable differences.

Last edited:

Red was the same as the international versions, but have a look at blue and green View attachment 97483

I should double check that the English Blue doesn't use those sprites (as the Bulbapedia page only lists the Red sprites for Red and Blue)

Also to note: Green has some different SGB colors like Palet town is Purple like in Yellow while Red and Blue have a light blue Palet town.
Edit: I also noticed the BARs are different too and Green uses the Red cherries while Blue uses the Yellow cherries and Green and Yellow have red icons (barring the Pokemon icons in Yellow) while Red and Blue have orange. (possibly related to green having the same SGB Palet Town color as Yellow.)
Ergo, we could theoretically say Black and White aren't the first game pair to have aesthetic differences but they are the first with notable differences.
Hmm... you can tell I never play the slots! I checked my Japanese Blue and my baby bro's English Blue and they both had the same pics (Jigglypuff et al.) that you linked. So in that case, there may be a chance you're right about Green too. Guess I gotta get off my butt and buy a copy XD

Hmm... you can tell I never play the slots! I checked my Japanese Blue and my baby bro's English Blue and they both had the same pics (Jigglypuff et al.) that you linked. So in that case, there may be a chance you're right about Green too. Guess I gotta get off my butt and buy a copy XD
Bulbapedia erroneusly says the Red ones are in Blue

If anyone wants to fix the Bulbapedia page feel free to rip sprites from my screen shots

I'm also surprised they bothered putting some of Japanese Red's graphics into English Red such as the slot machines and the intro's Nidorino while leaving the Blue frontsprites and Mewtwo's cave in.
Then again, these are the same people who reverted the Kadabra trade to the Raichu trade while keeping the Blue dialogue for said trade.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom