• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen 1ers in GSC

Snorlax because it went from being a really great Pokémon in Gen 1 battling to the absolute best Pokémon for Pokémon battling in Gen 2. Even beyond the likes of Lugia, Mew, and Mewtwo.

Maybe Dragonite, as it had no STAB moves in Generation I, and at least it did gain Outrage in Generation II, and Extreme Speed in Crystal was nice as well.

Last edited:
Admittedly, I'm not super familiar with GSC, but...

Cloyster got Spikes and Rapid Spin, and thus went from a solid choice to a metagame defining mon.

Machamp. It got a Fighting move that wasn't absolute garbage. Cross Chop still isn't amazing, but it's so much better than Submission.

Honestly, Fighting types as a whole are a lot better because a) the Psychic type got nerfed and b) they got access to Fighting moves that were better than Submission. (Except Poliwrath, who is crying in the corner because Amnesia is no longer broken, and it's still stuck with either Submission or Dynamic Punch.)

In a similar vein, Poison types got a lot better across the board, due to both the nerfs to the Psychic type and the addition of Sludge Bomb to many of their movesets.

Apparently Golem got quite a bit better, but I don't really know why. Probably something related to Explosion?

Back
Top Bottom