• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen 2 Starters in Alola?

While I find it highly unlikely that GF would do it, it does sound ind of interesting. As a test, scientists brought over some Chikorita, Cyndaquil, and Totodile to Alola to see how they would do out there, and by adapting they ended up being able to thrive in Alola, so they became more common like other Pokemon. But I don't think GF would do this, but they might have something planned for the Johto starters. After all, they were able to be obtained via Island Scan in SM. Maybe they'll get megas, or exclusive Z-Moves.

Agreed. I can't see them bothering to redesign the Johto starters in anyway. Z-moves sounds a lot more realistic. Any of them have signature moves?
That would be plain unfair. They bothered to redesign The Kanto and Hoenn starters (Charizard TWICE). And the starters also need a competitive buff which Z moves won't give.

As for signature moves, they don't have them, but Typhlosion is widely known for Eruption, and one of the few Pokemon to be given Burn-Up (along with Moltres and Arcanine).

While I find it highly unlikely that GF would do it, it does sound ind of interesting. As a test, scientists brought over some Chikorita, Cyndaquil, and Totodile to Alola to see how they would do out there, and by adapting they ended up being able to thrive in Alola, so they became more common like other Pokemon. But I don't think GF would do this, but they might have something planned for the Johto starters. After all, they were able to be obtained via Island Scan in SM. Maybe they'll get megas, or exclusive Z-Moves.
I wouldn't want Starters to be common, there's a reason they're starters.

And this wouldn't be the first time that Johto missed out on something that the other regions had. :)
You're implying that they'll intentionally ignore Johto. But, they fill every purpose a Mega has-
1. Make already marketable Pokemon even more relevant.
2. Make older Pokemon relevant.
3. Give weaker Pokemon a much-needed buff (the Johto starters have leaded on many polls of the 'worst starters')

The region which gets remade/sequelled gets something new. In a possible Kanto/Johto game mega Johto starters are very, very likely since the Kanto ones have Megas.

The region which gets remade/sequelled gets something new.

Megas aren't new though. The new thing is Z-moves. Or rather, whatever those Solgaleo/Lunala things are.

You're implying that they'll intentionally ignore Johto.

I'm not implying. Rather I'm saying that they could! I never felt like they have any particular love for Johto. Anyway they could achieve the three points you raised without giving them megas. Z-moves could work too.

I'm not implying. Rather I'm saying that they could! I never felt like they have any particular love for Johto. Anyway they could achieve the three points you raised without giving them megas. Z-moves could work too.

Z-Moves provided viability for a single Pokemon which was absent from the competitive scene- Eevee. I don't see Gamefreak giving the Johto starters OP Z-Moves. And I'd prefer Megas to an OP Z Move as they drastically increase the potential for the Pokemon in question: Beedrill is a great example for this.

And Gamefreak never said that Megas are finished. Megas will return when there's a game suited to them, and Sinnoh remakes or Kanto/Johto sequels look like just that thing.

Z-Moves provided viability for a single Pokemon which was absent from the competitive scene- Eevee. I don't see Gamefreak giving the Johto starters OP Z-Moves. And I'd prefer Megas to an OP Z Move as they drastically increase the potential for the Pokemon in question: Beedrill is a great example for this.

Sounds like this is just your preference then? I don't see the difference when it will achieve the same effect. GF will just do whatever makes more commercial sense to them.

And Gamefreak never said that Megas are finished. Megas will return when there's a game suited to them, and Sinnoh remakes or Kanto/Johto sequels look like just that thing.

Nobody said megas are done. I'm just saying that they'll probably just do megas for Pokemon that they will benefit more from i.e. Butterfree/Dragonite. They are putting out merchandise of the Johto starter at the Pokemon center but they aren't selling like hotcakes so... Pokemon that sell better are more likely to get new megas imo.

Sounds like this is just your preference then? I don't see the difference when it will achieve the same effect. GF will just do whatever makes more commercial sense to them.
It's mostly personal preference. Megas make more commercial sense. I'll answer that below.

Nobody said megas are done. I'm just saying that they'll probably just do megas for Pokemon that they will benefit more from i.e. Butterfree/Dragonite. They are putting out merchandise of the Johto starter at the Pokemon center but they aren't selling like hotcakes so... Pokemon that sell better are more likely to get new megas imo.

Johto starters are the least promoted starters ever. Chicorita- probably the starter with the most attention in Johto. Others got overshadowed by Kanto 'mons. If the starters aren't in spotlight, then they obviously won't sell. Butterfree gets M20 promotion and Dragonite is the most popular Pokemon from 'Pokemon GO'. And again, some less popular Pokemon like Audino got Megas. Johto starters are definitely more popular than audino.

Also, what do you think will sell more:
"Perform a special move with your Johto starter using a Z-Ring which you probably already bought for Sun and Moon!" (There was a Z Ring accessory already, and I highly doubt any parents would buy a redesigned one for their children.

"Achieve great power of bond with your partner Pokemon in Pokemon Vermillion and Azure* using the new Mega bracelet!"
"Also included are plushies of your starter's final mega form!"

*titles I think suit for Kanto/Johto sequels.

Last edited:
Also, what do you think will sell more:
"Perform a special move with your Johto starter using a Z-Ring which you probably already bought for Sun and Moon!" (There was a Z Ring accessory already, and I highly doubt any parents would buy a redesigned one for their children.

"Achieve great power of bond with your partner Pokemon in Pokemon Vermillion and Azure* using the new Mega bracelet!"
"Also included are plushies of your starter's final mega form!"

When you put it like that obviously a new mega would sell more but the question shouldn't be between giving it one or the other. But rather would a Mega Butterfree sell more than a Mega Meganium? I don't really see why they have to give Johto something. They never really promoted Johto as a stand alone. Anyway, the best pokemon to promote Johto would be Ho-oh and Lugia. They're more likely to give them Megas to promote Johto if they have to promote Johto specifically.

They never really promoted Johto as a stand alone. Anyway, the best pokemon to promote Johto would be Ho-oh and Lugia. They're more likely to give them Megas to promote Johto if they have to promote Johto specifically.

Personally, I always saw some sort of forms for the mascots a given for any sequel which has Johto. And those forms won't be Megas imo, since it dosen't make sense (and Mega Rayquaza like OPness would contribute so much to power creep which they're avoiding this Gen so much) for them to get a Mega Stone. I also thought Mega Mewtwos were a bad decision and both of them looked plain creepy.

The starters would just be a bonus. The starters are also getting hyped in 'Pokemon GO' (some of the raid battles are quilava, Bayleef and croconaw).

Speaking of the Generation 2 starters getting Alola forms, I remembered seeing somebody posting on the internet about some peculiar concept where the final evolutions have different types, such as Meganium having Grass/Electric and having rods in place of petals. I cannot find this link where I found somebody illustrating this, but I imagine that whatever they posted is not real. After all, anyone can make a fake leak.

Thank you for reading.

If they bring new Megas in US/UM we can see Johto Starters getting them, but I doubt it.

do you think they would make gen IV remakes with starters for 2 generations?
last gen we had 2 gen megas in 2 games well distributed.

I dont know what to doubt , now would be only a good ocassion and it would rise the sales of this new games.

I think it's more likely they'd get new Z exclusive Z moves similar to the Alolan starters. Yes they don't have a signature move atm to base it off, but Raichu's Z move comes from Thunderbolt as the base move, and Mew's comes from Psychic as it's base move.

Agreed. I can't see them bothering to redesign the Johto starters in anyway. Z-moves sounds a lot more realistic. Any of them have signature moves?

Nope. We already have species-exclusive Z-Moves that don't require a signature move as @Defiant posted, as well as a few more that I'll mention.

Meganium could use Petal Dance, Typhlosion could use Eruption, and I can't find a move that works for Feraligatr, but it definitely isn't going to be Agility.

I think it's more likely they'd get new Z exclusive Z moves similar to the Alolan starters. Yes they don't have a signature move atm to base it off, but Raichu's Z move comes from Thunderbolt as the base move, and Mew's comes from Psychic as it's base move.

You also forgot Snorlax's coming from Giga Impact, one of Pikachu's coming from Thunderbolt, and Eevee's coming from Last Resort.

Eruption was Typhlosion's signature move.

It never was Typhlosion's signature move, though. It was introduced in Gen 3 with Camerupt, Torkoal, and Groudon being able to learn it. The Cyndaquil line got access to it in Gen 4 along with Entei (though Entei got access to it starting in Platinum onwards).

I don't know what kind of treatment they'll give too Johto Starters, but I hope it's a form change, not Alolan form change, but maybe Megas (Which I doubt it)

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom