• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen 3 and 4 - Jules Verne and H.G.Wells

Grass Type Gardenia

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
I've just discovered that the main legendary Pokemon of Hoenn has a parallel theme to the books written by Jules Verne, with the main Legendary Pokemon in Sinnoh sharing something, this time with H.G. Wells.

Gen 3 & Jules Verne:

Kyogre - 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Groudon - Journey to the Center of the Earth
Rayquaza: Round the World in 80 Days
Deoxys: From the Earth to the Moon

Gen 4 & H.G.Wells

Dialga: The Time Machine
Palkia: War of the Worlds
Giratina: The Invisible Man
Arceus: The Island of Doctor Moreau

This is a very cool coincidence. Based on the titles, I think Verne's books match the idea of exploration - Hoenn has a lot of varied environments and a focus on the natural world. H.G. Wells deals with aliens or supernatural things, which goes with the supernatural and almost eldritch-like legendaries the player faces in Sinnoh.

If anyone has actually read these books - I'm just extrapolating based on the titles - it would be cool to see a proper analysis!

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom