• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen 7 Source Code Leaks

BlueWaves

Join the BlueLions!
Reaction score
Gen 7 Source Codes have been leaked. Here is the link to the Smogon discussion page.

Notable Finds:

-A two-version Kalos follow-up was indeed planned
-Beta Melemele Island
-Beta Red? Could also be a scrapped default look for the player character
-Misc. relatively minor findings by doipy hooves
-Nintendo had VisualBoyAdvance for... something...?
-Codenames for UBs that may allude to scrapped designs

So XY were indeed supposed to have Follow Ups. Well, that's a bit upsetting to hear. I thought XY were like Diamond and Pearl, both games with huge flaws, but were very enjoyable in the end, but their flaws make them still fun games to play, though their flaws become more noticeable. However, Diamond and Pearl had a 3rd version to fix their flaws, XY didn't. Which sad, because while I don't have the highest opinions on XY, I really did enjoy Kalos as a region. A third version could have been what we needed to fix their flaws, but alas the 20th Anniversary was far more important.

1. "Kalos reserve" doesn't sound like an idea that was given much thought. We already knew that there were placeholder version index numbers, but so what?

2. That isn't Red. I remember this design from the concept art that was shown in the SM announcement video. It's probably for the best that they went with a more distinct design, especially given Chase.

1. "Kalos reserve" doesn't sound like an idea that was given much thought. We already knew that there were placeholder version index numbers, but so what?

2. That isn't Red. I remember this design from the concept art that was shown in the SM announcement video. It's probably for the best that they went with a more distinct design, especially given Chase.
It’s seems to be a younger version of Red. Red that appears in SM is significantly older, maybe there were plans to have a younger Red but that was ultimately scrapped?

It's beta "Elio". You can see him next to Lillie here:

this-possible-water-gym-concept-art-shows-a-palm-t_gx55.jpg

It would be pretty weird for a young Red, who doesn't look exactly like him, to hang out in Alola with Lillie.

So it's now indeed confirmed that the Kalos follow up games were indeed scrapped in favor of Sun and Moon because of the 20th Anniversary.

Zygarde and its sidequest are probably the only renmants of Z/XY2 lol. Gotta have been a major plot at some point, shame it had to be relegated to side content due to the 20th anniversary.

EkjPK1YX0AYkuFI
Also, looks like Melemele was going to be more urban? There's no bay (and the sea is tiny) while the entire island seems to be one massive city. Ngl I prefer the final version, there's less industrialisation.

-Nintendo had VisualBoyAdvance for... something...?
I find this hilarious for some reason

Disappointed to hear that an X and Y third version was probably scrapped though. A revisit to Kalos would have been great!

I see people elsewhere acting like this is a major revelation about second Kalos games but I don't... think it tells us anything we didn't already know? There were already two unused Gen 6 origin marks in Pokémon Bank and SM's internal code (not to mention Thousand Waves and Thousand Arrows in XY and ORAS's code), so it was clear that the concept was thought about at some point. The only real questions that remain are:

1) Would they have been sequels like B2W2, or enhanced editions like USUM? I would lean toward the latter, but there's nothing concrete for anyone to go on in that regard, so it's pure speculation.

2) How far into the development process did they get? It seems unlikely that there wouldn't have at least been some discussions about the idea of a second Kalos game, because it's such an obvious thing to consider, but those talks could very well have not evolved into anything more formal before the decision was made to move on to Gen 7 instead.

Did they find anything else about the potential Kalos games besides their existence? Because that's not a huge revelation, we had placeholders before that implied that.

Yeah, I don't think that this is a huge find. The idea that they were considering a follow up to Kalos is not a huge stretch, especially with the code from Pokemon Bank, but I'm still not sure how far they were in development. It might have been on the table for a bit, but didn't really get far along in development. We don't know if they were scraped for the 20th anniversary. That's certainly possible, but it isn't confirmed. We just don't know how far along they were into production before moving onto Sun/Moon. I still can't see them working that much on this game mainly because getting a new generation out for the 20th anniversary would have been a much better option than a follow up to X/Y. Even if they were sequels instead of enhanced versions, it wouldn't have been as noteworthy or as big of a celebration for the anniversary.

As much as it would have been nice to get a follow up, I think it was better for them to release Sun/Moon instead. Not only because of how it would be a better way to tie in with the anniversary, but we got more new content in Sun/Moon than we would have gotten with a Kalos follow up simply by the virtue of having new Pokemon, characters and a new region to explore. I don't think that this follow up to Kalos would have been necessarily received better than X/Y, especially if they ended up being more akin to US/UM than B2/W2. I can understand being disappointed that they didn't happen. People were really betting on a Z version from the moment X/Y were announced practically, but I think that they ultimately made the right call to move towards generation seven instead.

Interestingly, there were two scrapped Terrains found in the source code, suggesting the Tapu might have been different types. The Terrains were Aqua and Ice Terrain. From the source code, Aqua Terrain turns Nature Power into Hydro Pump, while Ice Terrain turns nature power into Ice Beam.Camouflage turns them into the respective types as well.

The whole confirmation on Kalos having scrapped follow-ups most likely because of the 20th anniversary is just sad, especially since Mega Evolution was such a popular concept that got shoved aside in favor of less-interesting gimmicks far too quickly.
Zygarde and its sidequest are probably the only renmants of Z/XY2 lol. Gotta have been a major plot at some point, shame it had to be relegated to side content due to the 20th anniversary.
I really wish Game Freak would have either had Zygarde play a role by showing it fight against the Ultra Beasts and/or Necrozma once Game Freak reached the decision to leave Kalos as-is. A good alternative would be for Zygarde to at least provide a dim green glow in attempt to rectify Necrozma's light theft in USUM. It felt like Game Freak were obligated to put the legend in there just because Kalos got the axe, which is very disappointing.
Yeah, I don't think that this is a huge find. The idea that they were considering a follow up to Kalos is not a huge stretch, especially with the code from Pokemon Bank, but I'm still not sure how far they were in development. It might have been on the table for a bit, but didn't really get far along in development. We don't know if they were scraped for the 20th anniversary. That's certainly possible, but it isn't confirmed. We just don't know how far along they were into production before moving onto Sun/Moon. I still can't see them working that much on this game mainly because getting a new generation out for the 20th anniversary would have been a much better option than a follow up to X/Y. Even if they were sequels instead of enhanced versions, it wouldn't have been as noteworthy or as big of a celebration for the anniversary.

As much as it would have been nice to get a follow up, I think it was better for them to release Sun/Moon instead. Not only because of how it would be a better way to tie in with the anniversary, but we got more new content in Sun/Moon than we would have gotten with a Kalos follow up simply by the virtue of having new Pokemon, characters and a new region to explore. I don't think that this follow up to Kalos would have been necessarily received better than X/Y, especially if they ended up being more akin to US/UM than B2/W2. I can understand being disappointed that they didn't happen. People were really betting on a Z version from the moment X/Y were announced practically, but I think that they ultimately made the right call to move towards generation seven instead.
You know, I never really thought about that. I guess it makes sense in hindsight, but I still think Kalos deserved follow-up games more than SM did. Perhapse Game Freak could have merged concept and content of SM and USUM if one of the 3DS games had to be scrapped for some reason. In fact, I think that would have been the best option to take, at least in terms of general quality.

There were a lot of plot holes and areas that could have potentially been filled-in with the Kalos region for the writers and developers to work with:
  • Give the Kalos starters the ability to Mega Evolve. With the whole emphasis on you having a strong bond with your Pokémon being a requirement to getting a Mega Ring from the Tower of Mastery, the bond between your starters should be pretty strong from an in-universe standpoint. Allowing your starter to undergo Mega Evolution makes soo much sense thematically.
  • The Sea Spirit's Den in Azure Bay could have gotten a Lugia tie-in with the three legendary birds, finally confirming their connection in the main series games instead of relegating it to side-content and other media.
  • The Chamber of Emptiness could have been expanded upon. Maybe with a new legendary/mythical Pokémon being the reason for its description.
    • In the event Game Freak didn't want to do the whole "implement new species mid-generation" thing yet, Hoopa would fit the location perfectly if it sucks you into a wormhole upon entering the Chamber of Emptiness. Even though this was the period where Game Freak decided that Mythical Pokémon should be completely limited to effortless giveaways was limited to giveaways rather than in-game events, imagine having it in your party while traveling there leads to Hoopa sucking you in a portal because its a tradition of theirs. Surely such a mischievous Pokémon would want to show-off its its secret treasure stash/palace that was alluded too in a lore dump you can receive in Parfume Palace to its new trainer. Heck, this would also be a neat way to obtain the Prison Bottle.
  • Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde could get a proper relationship through in-game lore rather than the loosely-connected concepts (and one Dex-entry in SM/USUM) being the only thing currently binding them together. In addition, maybe we get to visit the areas where they are said to slumber if the developers feel generous.
  • Perhaps AZ could be more involved with the story and perhaps allowing us a daily rematch in the post-game, this time with his Eternal Flower Floette by his side. The reward for beating him the first time would be the ability to teach any Fairy-type Pokémon the move Light of Ruin, establishing it as something akin to Draco Meteor. Form that point forward, talking to AZ would give you the move tutor or rematch options.
  • Shalour City could be expanded upon by allowing us to visit more of the city than just the bottom and top portions, perhaps even allowing us to shop for a Shalour Sable.
  • Allow us to open the locked doors on Route 13, maybe with one of them leading t the other Power Plant shown in the distance. Bonus points if they (the doors and the other powerplant) are somehow connected Volcanion, maybe even requiring Volcanion to unlock those doors.
  • Expand on the side event regarding the servants of a rich man trying to snatch Diancie away from you, perhaps through a chase around the Kalos region and/or battling them for the right o keep Diancie. The reward could be the Mega Stone, Diancite.
  • Expand on the racing thing, like the Rhyhorn Racing we can't take part in for some reason.
  • We could actually have the Kalos Elite Four and their Champion get updated rosters for Pokémon League rematches. I have no idea why this was absent from XY.
  • If we're really lucky, we could either get one of the following
    • An updated Get Kiolude City with another battle facility or two in addition to the copy-paste Battle Maison, preferably with one of them being based on the heavily underutilized Inverse Battles
    • A ticket to the Hoenn Battle Frontier so that "The Battle Frontier project has started!" Easter Egg from ORAS becomes less insulting.
  • The whole Southern Kalos thing would have been a good excuse to implement new areas if there were concepts that Game Freak don't think could fit into the existing space.
Meanwhile, USUM's additions to the Alola region's storyline and setting just interfered with previous decently-structed plot elements rather than being more divergent from SM's storyline to the point where said previous elements would be a non-issue. Here's what I mean:
  • Not only was as the Aether Family drama messed with by having character motivations change to the point were them taking the actions they did in SM a little more nonsensical, but their resolution and Lille's character development was shoved off-screen (though at least the Mohn thing was touched on through a side-event)
    • Lusamine went from being obsessed with beauty and finding the Ultra Beasts beautiful to suddenly caring about the Alola region when she was told about Necrozma? How does that tie in with still having Pokémon in cryogenic stasis and her prior treatment of Lillie and Gladion? The former at least tries to handwave it by saying she's protecting them, but how exactly does it do that if she didn't expect Necrozma to come barging into Alola?
    • Gladion's motivation for running away and stealing Type:Null went from getting away from an increasingly bad home life regarding Lusamine to trying to protect his family. What exactly do these actions protect his family from? It seems like the writers were setting up Gladion's weird hand movements to be connected to Necrozma through some psychic link at some point, but that possible connection and his new motivation t protect his family never got touched upon.
    • Regarding Lillie, why did they make the bond between her and Nebby feel more distant/deemphasized? Also, why would our Solar Lion/Lunar Bat suddenly be okay with helping Necrozma after it got forcibly assimilated into it? Why would Lillie be okay with such an arrangement?
  • Speaking of Lillie, It would have been better if they implied the relationship between Necrozma and the Cosmog evolutionary line
  • I'm also not a fan of how the Looker & Anabel side-quest (and the accompanying lore regarding fallers and Nanu's past) got canned.
  • I don't recall the Ultra Recon Squad ever mentioning about the concept of Fallers (people exposed to Ultra Wormhole energy and possibly wind up with amnesia) mentioned during the initial pair of Alola games. You would think they'd have a lot of knowledge on it seeing as how their entire job revolves around the Ultra Wormholes and the Ultra Beasts. How is that not notable enough to mention to us?

All in all, I would have rather had the Kalos follow-up installment than moving straight to Gen 7, especially since Kalos had a lot more to offer in terms of potential additions than Alola ended up getting.

Interestingly, there were two scrapped Terrains found in the source code, suggesting the Tapu might have been different types. The Terrains were Aqua and Ice Terrain. From the source code, Aqua Terrain turns Nature Power into Hydro Pump, while Ice Terrain turns nature power into Ice Beam.Camouflage turns them into the respective types as well.
I'm not surprised given the landscapes of the final two islands and Tapu Fini's aquatic theme it has going on. Game Freak probably realized the redundancy those terrains had with rain and hail already existing, which probably led to them being scrapped and Tapu Bulu being re-designed and retyped.

You know, I never really thought about that. I guess it makes sense in hindsight, but I still think Kalos deserved follow-up games more than SM did. Perhapse Game Freak could have merged concept and content of SM and USUM if one of the 3DS games had to be scrapped for some reason. In fact, I think that would have been the best option to take, at least in terms of general quality.

There were a lot of plot holes and areas that could have potentially been filled-in with the Kalos region for the writers and developers to work with:
  • Give the Kalos starters the ability to Mega Evolve. With the whole emphasis on you having a strong bond with your Pokémon being a requirement to getting a Mega Ring from the Tower of Mastery, the bond between your starters should be pretty strong from an in-universe standpoint. Allowing your starter to undergo Mega Evolution makes soo much sense thematically.
  • The Sea Spirit's Den in Azure Bay could have gotten a Lugia tie-in with the three legendary birds, finally confirming their connection in the main series games instead of relegating it to side-content and other media.
  • The Chamber of Emptiness could have been expanded upon. Maybe with a new legendary/mythical Pokémon being the reason for its description.
    • In the event Game Freak didn't want to do the whole "implement new species mid-generation" thing yet, Hoopa would fit the location perfectly if it sucks you into a wormhole upon entering the Chamber of Emptiness. Even though this was the period where Game Freak decided that Mythical Pokémon should be completely limited to effortless giveaways was limited to giveaways rather than in-game events, imagine having it in your party while traveling there leads to Hoopa sucking you in a portal because its a tradition of theirs. Surely such a mischievous Pokémon would want to show-off its its secret treasure stash/palace that was alluded too in a lore dump you can receive in Parfume Palace to its new trainer. Heck, this would also be a neat way to obtain the Prison Bottle.
  • Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde could get a proper relationship through in-game lore rather than the loosely-connected concepts (and one Dex-entry in SM/USUM) being the only thing currently binding them together. In addition, maybe we get to visit the areas where they are said to slumber if the developers feel generous.
  • Perhaps AZ could be more involved with the story and perhaps allowing us a daily rematch in the post-game, this time with his Eternal Flower Floette by his side. The reward for beating him the first time would be the ability to teach any Fairy-type Pokémon the move Light of Ruin, establishing it as something akin to Draco Meteor. Form that point forward, talking to AZ would give you the move tutor or rematch options.
  • Shalour City could be expanded upon by allowing us to visit more of the city than just the bottom and top portions, perhaps even allowing us to shop for a Shalour Sable.
  • Allow us to open the locked doors on Route 13, maybe with one of them leading t the other Power Plant shown in the distance. Bonus points if they (the doors and the other powerplant) are somehow connected Volcanion, maybe even requiring Volcanion to unlock those doors.
  • Expand on the side event regarding the servants of a rich man trying to snatch Diancie away from you, perhaps through a chase around the Kalos region and/or battling them for the right o keep Diancie. The reward could be the Mega Stone, Diancite.
  • Expand on the racing thing, like the Rhyhorn Racing we can't take part in for some reason.
  • We could actually have the Kalos Elite Four and their Champion get updated rosters for Pokémon League rematches. I have no idea why this was absent from XY.
  • If we're really lucky, we could either get one of the following
    • An updated Get Kiolude City with another battle facility or two in addition to the copy-paste Battle Maison, preferably with one of them being based on the heavily underutilized Inverse Battles
    • A ticket to the Hoenn Battle Frontier so that "The Battle Frontier project has started!" Easter Egg from ORAS becomes less insulting.
  • The whole Southern Kalos thing would have been a good excuse to implement new areas if there were concepts that Game Freak don't think could fit into the existing space.

I wouldn't say that there were a lot of plot holes for X/Y. There are areas and ways to expand on the Kalos region, but I don't think not being able to open those locked doors is a plot hole per say. The starters not getting their own Mega Evolution was a huge missed opportunity though. I didn't think we'd get a traditional third version game, but I thought that they would include Mega Kalos starters at some point during the sixth generation, so it is a shame that didn't happen. These are cool ideas on how to expand Kalos that could have made a follow up enjoyable too, but I also have a hard time believing that this hypothetical game would have been well received. Aside from Platinum and maybe Emerald, none of the third version games have been that popular. Maybe I'm also just too used to seeing people complain about every new entry in the main series, but I can't imagine that it would have been executed perfectly either.

Kallyle said:
Meanwhile, USUM's additions to the Alola region's storyline and setting just interfered with previous decently-structed plot elements rather than being more divergent from SM's storyline to the point where said previous elements would be a non-issue. Here's what I mean:
  • Not only was as the Aether Family drama messed with by having character motivations change to the point were them taking the actions they did in SM a little more nonsensical, but their resolution and Lille's character development was shoved off-screen (though at least the Mohn thing was touched on through a side-event)
    • Lusamine went from being obsessed with beauty and finding the Ultra Beasts beautiful to suddenly caring about the Alola region when she was told about Necrozma? How does that tie in with still having Pokémon in cryogenic stasis and her prior treatment of Lillie and Gladion? The former at least tries to handwave it by saying she's protecting them, but how exactly does it do that if she didn't expect Necrozma to come barging into Alola?
    • Gladion's motivation for running away and stealing Type:Null went from getting away from an increasingly bad home life regarding Lusamine to trying to protect his family. What exactly do these actions protect his family from? It seems like the writers were setting up Gladion's weird hand movements to be connected to Necrozma through some psychic link at some point, but that possible connection and his new motivation t protect his family never got touched upon.
    • Regarding Lillie, why did they make the bond between her and Nebby feel more distant/deemphasized? Also, why would our Solar Lion/Lunar Bat suddenly be okay with helping Necrozma after it got forcibly assimilated into it? Why would Lillie be okay with such an arrangement?
  • Speaking of Lillie, It would have been better if they implied the relationship between Necrozma and the Cosmog evolutionary line
  • I'm also not a fan of how the Looker & Anabel side-quest (and the accompanying lore regarding fallers and Nanu's past) got canned.
  • I don't recall the Ultra Recon Squad ever mentioning about the concept of Fallers (people exposed to Ultra Wormhole energy and possibly wind up with amnesia) mentioned during the initial pair of Alola games. You would think they'd have a lot of knowledge on it seeing as how their entire job revolves around the Ultra Wormholes and the Ultra Beasts. How is that not notable enough to mention to us?

All in all, I would have rather had the Kalos follow-up installment than moving straight to Gen 7, especially since Kalos had a lot more to offer in terms of potential additions than Alola ended up getting.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of most of the major changes made in US/UM either. Changing Gladion's motivation doesn't bother me as much as the changes to Lusamine's character does. Lusamine acts pretty much the same up until you confront her, so her new motivation doesn't really work. Drastically reducing Lillie's role and her relationship with Nebby was a huge mistake. She was practically the secondary protagonist before and not having her confront Lusamine on-screen made the resolution feel so weak. I liked a lot of the smaller changes, mainly with Hau and Guzma's storylines. While Lusamine was a more unique final boss, battling Ultra Necrozma was still really awesome. Expanding on the Pokedex was cool and I loved the new features. I still think that if they had combined the storyline from Sun/Moon with the new features and expansions from US/UM, we would have a terrific Pokemon game. I still like both sets of games, but this was the first time I felt like they really should have combined a new generation with its third version, which might be at least partly due to how US/UM came out just one year after Sun/Moon did too.

I can understand wanting to get the Kalos follow up over US/UM. As much as I enjoyed US/UM, I still wish that we got proper sequels myself. I thought that there was more room for a direct continuation for Sun/Moon than there was for X/Y. I can understand why that didn't happen when they were busy working on Switch titles, but it's still a shame. While I agree that there was potential to further flesh out Kalos with a follow up, it's hard to say whether or not that potential would have been met for multiple reasons. I think that's one reason a Z version doesn't particularly appeal to me in a way. I've seen fans put Z on a bit of a pedestal, describing how great it could have been, but it's hard to say how much Game Freak could have incorporated into these games and how well executed these features could have been. If they were going to release two third version games akin to US/UM, that probably wouldn't have been well received either. It's easy to describe how good a Kalos follow up game could have been when fans have had years to create a wish list of what they wanted it to be, but I just have a hard time believing that the game could have been as great as fans have made it sound out to be over the years.

To be fair, SM had its own potential for similar expansions to XY, but instead of foregoing an updated version altogether they delivered a mediocre rehash that offered far too little differences over the original (and most of the differences didn't really fit with the updated storyline as pointed out above). So the two Kalos games probably would've had similar issues. Still though, SM feels more complete on its own than XY did, so I think if the situation was reversed there would be slightly less disappointment and complaints. XY, with its utterly barren and unmemorable story, characters, and world, and its utter lack of extra content and post game was utterly crying out for a followup game, so it being the only region left as is stings worse than if some of the other regions had suffered the same fate.

It seems that they wanted to have a Red look-a-like for the 20th anniversary, but gave up and then reused the idea with LGPE. It kinda fits with my theory that Elio was designed after SM Ash.

The UB part is really interesting. I guess them being organized and color-coded would have made them less scary and strange, and would have made Blacephalon, Stakataka and Poipole seem like an afterthought.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom