• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen 9 Pokemon Game Hinted in Sword and Shield?

Grass Type Gardenia

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
Just as there have been hints of future Pokemon games in the past, Sword and Shield, regardless of it's lackness, seems to not be an exception. There are two hints found within the game.

Hint 1: When you enter the first Pokemon Center in Wyndon, you meet a man in a tuxedo and hat. Although he doesn't turn around, he does respond with this... ''I'd like to invite some of the fine Trainers flourishing in Galar back to my own region.'' So with this said, could it be that the theme applied to Gen 9 will be the 'Finest' Pokemon Game ever made? Well in order for them to accomplish that, they've certainly got a LOT of improving to catch up on.

Hint 2: From what one player discovered, one of the Hikers reveals that he came from another region, and would even speak in Spanish (Whether or not that's true, can anyone please help me to find proof of it?)

So with that said, it is likely that for Gen 9, it will probably be based on Spain, and are already planning, story-boarding and sketching for it before releasing it in 2022. (Or if they become very scummy, 2021 to mark Pokemon's 25th Anniversary, just like they released Sun and Moon on the 20th Anniversary and doing little for Kalos. Which I hope not, because I would really like a third or sequal SwSh game to fix the flaws of the current ones.)

Why do I say Spain? Remember when we all thought Gen 8 was going to be based on Spain, based on GF doing research in Northern Spain 2 years ago? Well perhaps that's the reason for it. So for those guessing that the next region will be based on Spain? Well, they are right. Just one Region behind the upcoming one.

There really haven't been any significant hints for future games in the current games, with the exception of the Strange Souvenir in XY.

The Strange Souvenier also appeared in ORAS.

Cynthia hinted of her Unova house in Platinum, and in SM, USUM, there is a woman in the second island's ferry terminal that talked about the Rotom Dex, and suggested of what if Rotom can be used in the PC or any other electrical appliances. Sounds like Rotomi, Rotom Phone and the Rotom Cameras in the stadiums.

Last edited:
Hint 1: When you enter the first Pokemon Center in Wyndon, you meet a man in a tuxedo and hat. Although he doesn't turn around, he does respond with this... ''I'd like to invite some of the fine Trainers flourishing in Galar back to my own region.'' So with this said, could it be that the theme applied to Gen 9 will be the 'Finest' Pokemon Game ever made? Well in order for them to accomplish that, they've certainly got a LOT of improving to catch up on.
How would "finest" even tie into a battle-based game?
Hint 2: From what one player discovered, one of the Hikers reveals that he came from another region, and would even speak in Spanish (Whether or not that's true, can anyone please help me to find proof of it?)
  • Unova Route 15-Hiker Kit speaks Italian
  • Unova Route 11-Backpacker Talon speaks English in the Japanese version of the games
  • Castelia City- Characters speaking German, Italian, and Spanish
None of these turned out to be any hints.
Cynthia hinted of her Unova house in Platinum,
You mean "My house? Even the region is a secret!" According to Bulbapedia, this is right after she doesn't want to go home because her house is a mess.
1576718868861.png
This is not a mess. It doesn't even look like a residential home, either, seeing as there's no bed.

• Unova Route 11-Backpacker Talon speaks English in the Japanese version of the games

You mean "My house? Even the region is a secret!" According to Bulbapedia, this is right after she doesn't want to go home because her house is a mess.
This is not a mess. It doesn't even look like a residential home, either, seeing as there's no bed.
Plus she said that it belonged to Caitlin. So her actual house is still out there. Perhaps it would appear in the Sword and Shield Sequal, since that will come after the Gen 4 Remake next year. (perhaps also to mark Pokemon's 25th Anniversary in 2021.)

But then, it can be just as much of a hint as Leon's Gym Leader cousin. Or the house Cynthia is refering to was planned but scrapped and reworked in Unova.

Last edited:
Hint 1: When you enter the first Pokemon Center in Wyndon, you meet a man in a tuxedo and hat. Although he doesn't turn around, he does respond with this... ''I'd like to invite some of the fine Trainers flourishing in Galar back to my own region.'' So with this said, could it be that the theme applied to Gen 9 will be the 'Finest' Pokemon Game ever made?
The gentleman could be referring to any region though. Nothing about his dialogue suggests a specific reference to a new region. And even if he was referring to a new region, nothing in his dialogue pins it to Spain.

The gentleman could be referring to any region though. Nothing about his dialogue suggests a specific reference to a new region. And even if he was referring to a new region, nothing in his dialogue pins it to Spain.
unless you look at GF's research in Spain 2 years ago that made many think Gen 8 was going to be based in Spain.

Also to note, that was taken from B2W2. Please show BW because B2W2 took place 2 years later.

While I'm not supporting Gardenia's theory, there's also that one Backpacker with a Croagunk that speaks French in BW. Then again, it's in the English version only. I wonder what they did in the other languages.

Also to note, that was taken from B2W2. Please show BW because B2W2 took place 2 years later.
If you mean the picture of the house, it's the exactly the same in BW.

While I'm not supporting Gardenia's theory, there's also that one Backpacker with a Croagunk that speaks French in BW. Then again, it's in the English version only. I wonder what they did in the other languages.
True, I just left out the French examples because they could be argued to be for Kalos, while these other examples weren't used for any region.
Okay.
1576726106313.png

Please provide a source before using this as an argument. This is literally the first time I've heard of it and it’d have been a bigger thing if it were actually the case.

Personally I think most of the "hints" that people like to cite from pervious gens are just connecting things after the fact that we're never meant as a hint.

Here's an after the fact for you...
_20191219_100215.JPG

The wording added with the music note makes this sound a lot like a reference to Michael Rose's We're Going on a Bear Hunt - a subtle reference to the UK and therefore Galar! :lapras: (I don't actually think this is meant as a hint but I remember the first time I found it I thought it was weird if it was a reference to Bear Hunt)

As others have pointed out there are plenty of examples of NPCs speaking other languages that haven't meant a thing - the fact it's often characters like backpackers has always just suggested to me that GF want an easy way to show that people travel all around the world in the Pokémon games, even if the player can't do it!

The Strange Souvenir is the only one I think it's fair to put stock in as it serves no purpose but to hint at other possible regions, but equally was vague enough that it could have been something that Game Freak considered "we'll probably do a tropical region at some point in the future and it'll make sense then, even if its 10 yerrs from now"

Even if a certain Hiker speaks Spanish, it doesn't mean we get a Spanish region. It can mean we get a Spanish-Speaking region. I also doubt we get 2 European regions back-to-back. I think we get Australia or a South-America region for gen 9.
In Pokemon Sun and Moon during the Looker missions, Looker spoke: Spanish, Italian, German and English.

I'd argue that even the "hints" in LGPE were a coincidence considering that Galar has no crown-wearing royalty and that vaguely UK-like map... isn't very much like Galar.

If it isn't blatant like the Strange Souvenir, then it isn't worth considering for years on end. Why are people still talking about Cynthia's house 11 years later?

Also, any research trip is being done around now (maybe a few months ago, but I doubt it). Certainly not last year or earlier.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom